Chances of Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedWonk

高飛車
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping I could get to some general advice from you guys.
Got my grade back for peds, and kinda worried about my chances to match in New England.

Step 1: 234
Step 2: pending
3rd Year grades: P in peds and Neuro, HP everything else
School: Mid-tier USMD in New England
Research: 1 abstract in JACC (w/ poster presentation at ACC/AHA conference), 2 posters at school, 1 clinical research project in the works that hopefully leads to publication
ECs: MMI interviewer 2nd year, Medical mission trip to Dominican Republic 1st year, Some volunteering at free clinics in the area during first two years, Lead in peds interest group, middle school English teacher before med school

4th year schedule before ERAS: FM sub-I (no room in Peds wards sub-I), Peds EM sub-I, and Peds pulm elective

Was a little surprised by the grade. Thought I did well enough to get the HP, but I guess not. CLIPP exam probably sunk me. Comments by attendings/residents were nice, though.

My question is whether or not a P in peds is going to hold me back from matching in New England. I know that my step score is fine. I know that Boston Children's is likely not going to happen, and probably not MGH either, but hoping other programs like UMass and Brown aren't out of the question.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hoping I could get to some general advice from you guys.
Got my grade back for peds, and kinda worried about my chances to match in New England.

Step 1: 234
Step 2: pending
3rd Year grades: P in peds and Neuro, HP everything else
School: Mid-tier USMD in New England
Research: 1 abstract in JACC (w/ poster presentation at ACC/AHA conference), 2 posters at school, 1 clinical research project in the works that hopefully leads to publication
ECs: MMI interviewer 2nd year, Medical mission trip to Dominican Republic 1st year, Some volunteering at free clinics in the area during first two years, Lead in peds interest group, middle school English teacher before med school

4th year schedule before ERAS: FM sub-I (no room in Peds wards sub-I), Peds EM sub-I, and Peds pulm elective

Was a little surprised by the grade. Thought I did well enough to get the HP, but I guess not. CLIPP exam probably sunk me. Comments by attendings/residents were nice, though.

My question is whether or not a P in peds is going to hold me back from matching in New England. I know that my step score is fine. I know that Boston Children's is likely not going to happen, and probably not MGH either, but hoping other programs like UMass and Brown aren't out of the question.

You're fine. With your step score and other great grades you shouldn't worry. Enjoy the year. PM me for more questions.

You have great step scores. I agree, you should be fine
I will say tho, I was asked about my P in Peds since it was a contrast to every other clerkship... I thought it was such a rude question to ask! but be prepared to potentially answer that question... and that was from a north east program

Members don't see this ad :)
You're more than fine and have a good chance at mgh, really not that competitive

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited: