Chances of Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tai35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to get a general idea of my application to Psych residency
US Citizen, Caribbean med school, Year of graduation 2016, step 1 passed on second try, Step 2 - 220, Passed step 3, > 2 years of experience working directly with psychiatry/neurology department with some basic research, no publication.

Any thoughts on what to do to improve the CV ? How to approach programs ?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Big question is, what have you been doing for 4 years, 2016-2020? That must be answered.

Probably will need to apply to every single intern year / preliminary /rotational internship / whatever PGY-1 year is called and get your foot back in the door clinically. Then you'll be able revisit getting into a residency somewhere.

4 year gap is brutal in medicine.

Yes certainly, that's a big issue, After graduation, worked as an extern in a hospital in NYC for nearly one year, applied 2 years in a row and did not apply for residency last year, now applying again this year. Another year worked with in a neurologist outpatient office setting. It is hard to get externship positions as well once you have graduated medical school. Luckily was able to get another externship like position currently.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably going to be a very long shot having been out of medicine for four years. As others have said, I wouldn't pin hopes on psychiatry alone. Apply to everything.

Reactions: 1 user