Chances of med school with a disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jpkyllo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been diagnosed last year as having Spondyloarthopy which minimally effects my wrists and knees. This diagnosis was a long time coming, suffered through 2 years of this during my community college years getting my A.S. (Guess I was lucky, i hear the diagnosis time for this can be several years if not closer to a decade after onset). Biggest issue is that nearly all of the pain in localized in my lower lumber region, this does make walking difficult but doable, I certainly cant run any time soon but it does making getting around sometimes a chore and standing sitting for long periods is well, very very unpleasant. Im going to be starting Yoga since I heard this can help keep the joints from becoming stiff and fusing and I will be starting something stronger than Sulfasalazine.
In any case back on topic, I am starting my first year towards B.S. Psychology and will be getting things together to start applying to med schools after Im done with this year, however despite what is said on paper about discrimination and such, do I really stand a chance of being accepted into med school because of this condition?
No I dont plan on being a psychiatrist, however I would prefer an internalist with a fellowship in Psychiatry. I am looking specifically into Osteopathic schools because I would really like the extra knowledge of the muscoskeletal.

Also do you think someone with spinal arthritis is even going to be able to survive residency? Even if in the next two years it can be brought down to manageable levels

Members don't see this ad.

So what do you have exactly? Ankylosing spondylitis? Spondyloarthropathy is a generic term and it can mean a lot of things.

As a medical student and resident you have to stand a lot. Usually for hours at a time. Some fields are better than others. You can sit more ( or stand up if you want a break) in pathology, psychiatry, radiology and anesthesia. You pretty much stand all day in any of the surgical specialties. You stand a lot in internal medicine, too.

You cannot do a fellowship in psychiatry from internal medicine. There are dual Internal medicine and psychiatry programs, which require more training than IM or Psych alone, but when you're done you're both an internist and psychiatrist.

Also, if you don't have a rheumatologist, go see one. There are some stronger drugs out there, but they're expensive, and the insurance companies don't like it when docs prescribe them. But they work wonders!

You will need to inquire at schools about the physical standards they require.

Hello all,
I have been diagnosed last year as having Spondyloarthopy which minimally effects my wrists and knees. This diagnosis was a long time coming, suffered through 2 years of this during my community college years getting my A.S. (Guess I was lucky, i hear the diagnosis time for this can be several years if not closer to a decade after onset). Biggest issue is that nearly all of the pain in localized in my lower lumber region, this does make walking difficult but doable, I certainly cant run any time soon but it does making getting around sometimes a chore and standing sitting for long periods is well, very very unpleasant. Im going to be starting Yoga since I heard this can help keep the joints from becoming stiff and fusing and I will be starting something stronger than Sulfasalazine.
In any case back on topic, I am starting my first year towards B.S. Psychology and will be getting things together to start applying to med schools after Im done with this year, however despite what is said on paper about discrimination and such, do I really stand a chance of being accepted into med school because of this condition?
No I dont plan on being a psychiatrist, however I would prefer an internalist with a fellowship in Psychiatry. I am looking specifically into Osteopathic schools because I would really like the extra knowledge of the muscoskeletal.

Also do you think someone with spinal arthritis is even going to be able to survive residency? Even if in the next two years it can be brought down to manageable levels