Chances of Peds Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedssresidency1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Some guidance would be much appreciated.

I am interested in Peds (currently a 3rd yr allopathic med student) and my step 1 score was 244 and preclinical grades were mixed between pass and honors. Assuming my rotations go well I had some specific questions regarding my chances of getting into certain peds programs. I am currently a NY resident.

1. Chances on competitive spots in NE? Specifically CHOP and Boston
2. Chances of Seattle and Denver (these are really only places on West coast (and by coast I mean west of the Mississippi river) I would be interested in)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Denver is on the West coast? (OBP scratches head and heads to Atlas to remember his geography).

Your Step 1 score is fine but 240's are common among the very top ranked programs. Preclinical grades aren't that big a deal and some places care about where you went to med school as NY (city/state/state of mind) covers a lot of schools. The key will be how you do on your clinical rotations and of course a solid Step 2 score will be helpful. You might broaden your perspective a bit too. Lots of great programs that will get you into any fellowship you want that aren't the 4 you listed.

Denver is on the West coast? (OBP scratches head and heads to Atlas to remember his geography).

Your Step 1 score is fine but 240's are common among the very top ranked programs. Preclinical grades aren't that big a deal and some places care about where you went to med school as NY (city/state/state of mind) covers a lot of schools. The key will be how you do on your clinical rotations and of course a solid Step 2 score will be helpful. You might broaden your perspective a bit too. Lots of great programs that will get you into any fellowship you want that aren't the 4 you listed.

Haha oops- I mean't just west not west coast. Do you think it would help my chances of doing an away at one of these places? I would obviosuly not be heartbroken if I didnt get into one of these 4 they are just at the top of my list currently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha oops- I mean't just west not west coast. Do you think it would help my chances of doing an away at one of these places? I would obviosuly not be heartbroken if I didnt get into one of these 4 they are just at the top of my list currently.

In my experience, "away" rotations are uncommon in this setting in pedi. Just do your best at your home institution and make sure you have good mentors/letter writers in pediatrics.

Sorry don't like hijacking threads but quick question

I am currently an ms4, step 1 250's step 270's, 3rd year grades are honors except for medicine and surgery which were high pass. wondering how many programs are acceptable to apply to. should i apply to more because of the competitive institutions i have placed on my list thus far. I am restricted geographically to northeast.

thanks!

I am currently an ms4, step 1 250's step 270's, 3rd year grades are honors except for medicine and surgery which were high pass. wondering how many programs are acceptable to apply to. should i apply to more because of the competitive institutions i have placed on my list thus far. I am restricted geographically to northeast.

thanks!

General recommendation is somewhere around 20. You should apply to a nice mix of programs if you are restricted to the northeast, especially since you will no doubt be applying to some of the most competitive programs in the country, though overall you look like a competitive applicant for those programs.

thanks!

Maybe 10-15. As long as your personal statement, extracurriculars and letters are good you'll likely get interviews (almost) everywhere with those scores.

Thanks mvenus929 and physiciannerd42, I have decided to apply to 18. You've been a great help!