Chances of Pharmacy school(touro NYC)..please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dima123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok my situation is this; just graduated Pace University with a BBA in Finance. With the slow down in financial sector jobs, I decided to go back to school and attempt to get into pharmacy school. Being that I didn't take any sciences for my BBA. I started this summer, so far I'm doing pretty good.. The problem is I finished college with a overall 2.79 gpa (had a really bad one year which dropped my gpa from 3.3 to 2.8).. My question is if I work on my sciences and get A's..is it possible to get into Pharmacy school ( I'm looking into Touro)? The other question is do colleges looks at pre-req's required or all the classes taken. Oh yea I almost forgot I've been working as an intern in a private pharmacy for 5 years ( on and off)...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you work on your prerequisites and take the PCATs, I think you have a legitimate shot at the Entering Class of 2011(Graduating Class of 2015).

Now that you have your Bachelor's these are the only classes left for you to take:

general inorganic chemistry with lab 8
organic chemistry with lab 8
biochemistry 3
physics with lab preferred but optional 8
biology with lab 8
human anatomy with lab
physiology with lab 4
microbiology with lab 4
calculus 4
statistics with biostatistics preferred 4
microeconomics 4

The number next to each course is the amount of semester hours needed. If your school has quarters just double the amount of semester hours.

Ok my situation is this; just graduated Pace University with a BBA in Finance. With the slow down in financial sector jobs, I decided to go back to school and attempt to get into pharmacy school. Being that I didn't take any sciences for my BBA. I started this summer, so far I'm doing pretty good.. The problem is I finished college with a overall 2.79 gpa (had a really bad one year which dropped my gpa from 3.3 to 2.8).. My question is if I work on my sciences and get A's..is it possible to get into Pharmacy school ( I'm looking into Touro)? The other question is do colleges looks at pre-req's required or all the classes taken. Oh yea I almost forgot I've been working as an intern in a private pharmacy for 5 years ( on and off)...thanks

I suggest you really make a decision whether you should study pharmacy. Pharmacy schools really look at how strong is applicants' desire to become a pharmacist.

Pre-pharmacy takes 2 to 3 years to finish with other activities, and Pcat score. Getting in pharmacy school is very competitive. Since your GPA is not high, I suggest you to search more about the schools you want to apply to see what your chance is.

Besides, chemistry is a vital class to pharmacy school. You must be strong in chemistry, and perhap biology to succeed. Take 1 general chemistry class and see from there how you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go for it; especially if it is something you feel in your heart that you want to do. Good luck!

Your not considered a pharmacy intern until you get your intern permit, fyi. As for getting into school, its possible but would recommend that you get almost all As in prereqs and also do some volunteering/stuff.

so far i have few classes down
Bio 1- A
Chem 1-C+ (retaking in spring)
Chem 2-A
Calculus - A
Microeco-b+
All i have left is
orgo 1 and 2
bio 2-taking in spring
anatomy-taking in spring
microbio
biochem
and need to retake stats

my other question is if I retake a class...how is the grade counted is it averaged of the two is it replaced???I plan to try get everything done in time to apply for fall 2010...I guess then i worked as a pharm tech if i'm not considered an intern.. I wanna volunteer this summer ace my pcats and I think I have a good chance to get into pharm school..Eh "5minutes" yea my gpa isn't that high but I'm not like every pharm student applying I have background in business which is diverse.. I don't know if it will help much.. Oh Sparda I know your at Touro pharm now, how is it? I'm taking my sciences there now, hope that would give me an advantage :laugh:

so far i have few classes down
Bio 1- A
Chem 1-C+ (retaking in spring)
Chem 2-A
Calculus - A
Microeco-b+
All i have left is
orgo 1 and 2
bio 2-taking in spring
anatomy-taking in spring
microbio
biochem
and need to retake stats

my other question is if I retake a class...how is the grade counted is it averaged of the two is it replaced???I plan to try get everything done in time to apply for fall 2010...I guess then i worked as a pharm tech if i'm not considered an intern.. I wanna volunteer this summer ace my pcats and I think I have a good chance to get into pharm school..Eh "5minutes" yea my gpa isn't that high but I'm not like every pharm student applying I have background in business which is diverse.. I don't know if it will help much.. Oh Sparda I know your at Touro pharm now, how is it? I'm taking my sciences there now, hope that would give me an advantage :laugh:

That looks good.

Now that Touro uses the PharmCAS system, your GPA will be averaged. However, I think the supplemental application asks for your most current prerequisites and your grades on them, so I guess they are recalculating GPAs but I'm not sure about it, you'll have to contact the school for that.

It might give you an advantage, we have quite a few former Touro College students over here. But then again, that's probably because they found about it through the Touro system. They use PharmCAS now, and that means there will be A LOT more applicants.