Chances of Re-Instatement?

Started by AC91
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AC91

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, everyone. I'm currently a first year pharmacy student, and I'm on academic probation. After my first semester, I was 0.07 under the required GPA of 2.5. After this semester, it's highly possible, that I will still be under the limit by 0.05. I'm very worried that I will be dismissed from the pharmacy school. Depending on how I do on the final for one of my classes, it will make or break me.

The reason I am even in this situation was due to some personal issues. I don't want to make excuses, but it's the truth. At the end of last semester, right before finals, my fiance and I split up. Needless to say, it was devastating, and I lost focus with school. At the beginning of this new semester, I was still recovering, but the classes only got more difficult. But I started to kick myself into gear this past month. I ended up doing fairly well on my exams, but it's not enough to make up for the points I lost earlier in the semester.

I'm scheduled to meet with the Dean on Monday, but I have a strong feeling I already know the answer to what will happen to me. I know you can appeal the dismissal, but I want to know what are my chances of being reinstated? I don't know what I'm going to do if I get kicked out. As cliche as it sounds and what a mistake I made, I moved to be with him. But I don't want to leave after I've worked so hard to get into the school to begin with. Being a pharmacist has been what I've wanted to do for 9 years. I don't even know what to do with myself if I get kicked out.

The lowest grade I received was one D, which is what caused the GPA drop. Has anyone else been in this situation and been re-instated?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Live like a hermit for the next few weeks, study like crazy and ace your finals...assuming you don't need like a 100% or something. Make sure you know it well enough you can explain it/teach it, and know little details that might be asked.