Chances on making it into Optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helenanneh

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently a freshman in college, but technically in sophomore standing with the classes I have taken prior to coming here. However, I just wanted to discuss my chances of making it into optometry school with my current science GPA... I currently have a 2.8 with my science courses, however, I still have many to take. My overall GPA is a 3.2, but I was really just wondering if I make outstanding grades (talking all A's) for the next two to three years.. will there still be any chance of me making it in? I have only taken cell bio, bio 1 and 2, and animal bio, so I know I have a while to go and a while to improve. I just wanted to know if schools were going to look at my grades from freshman year (mostly C's) and just cut me from that, or if I turn my grades around will I still have a chance at making it?

Would love any kind of feedback/recommendation, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you’ll be fine. Optometry schools like to see an upwards trend. Many students have gotten in with GPA’s of sub 3.0, though they had higher OAT scores to improve their chances of getting in. My advice would be to show an upwards trend in grades, do well on OAT, have a lot of shadowing experience, volunteering, preeoptometry club and good letters of rec from optometrists and professors.
I started out in undergrad with a horrible GPA. Optometry schools understand that the adjustment from hs to college can be rough and they take that into account, however, be able to explain what happened and what you did to improve it. You have plenty of time and I would not worry. Goodluck on your journey to optometry school! Feel free to reach out to me if you need help constructing a plan or anything!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey hun, I'm a first year at ICO and I also didn't have a great GPA when applying and my OAT was average. I had a very similar situation in undergrad where I came in as a sophomore and was also worried about the effect on my GPA. I worked in private practice for 3 years while I was in undergrad to get optometric experience. The right school will see you as more than just a GPA. At my school, they put you on stipulation if you come in with a lower GPA or OAT or both for the first year with the intent that if you meet the 2.25 GPA requirement for the first year, you should be fine. Happy to give any insight if you need it!

You have plenty of time to boost your science GPA. I got into this cycle ICO and my science and overall GPAs are worse lol. C is for chemistry and that was good enough for me.
Your application isn't just based off of your GPA. There's also the OAT and your experience to consider. If you focus on having a positive trend on your academics and do well on the OAT, that would make you good to go on the statistics side. Getting in your shadowing and having strong letters of recommendation will help paint the picture of who you are as a person,
So if you can present to the admissions committee and the person who interviews you that you are well suited for the program and you can succeed, you'll be fine.