Chances: Slim....Dream: BIG!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeverErica

CU Post-Bac Program (MED)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I came across this site a few days ago and have been reading some of these threads. I thought that maybe I should go for it, just post where I am so far and see what is said, because the advice I’ve read here is great. I hate putting myself out there, but I know that any advice any of you could give will be much appreciated.

I am a senior, minority student in undergrad, and through a myriad of obstacles and hurdles, I have to say that I’m not giving up on this dream no matter what. I decided to apply after my senior year (this coming summer), due to my low cGPA and sGPA. The numbers below are less than what I expect of myself, but they are what they are at this point. I keep myself motivated through my family, my pre-med advisors and through my motivation to become a doctor.

Okay, here I go…putting myself out there! Here are “the stats”:

• cGPA – 3.25

• sGPA – 2.90

• MCAT – Plan to take in January 2010 for the first time (NOTE: I took a Kaplan class over the summer and decided that I wasn’t ready to take it this past September. So I plan to take the exam in January. Any thoughts on how I should study?!)

• Professional Resume –
1.Primary Shadowing Experiences

• Family Medicine
  • Emergency Medicine
  • Radiology
  • Interventional Radiology
  • General Surgery
2.Research

• Digestive Physiology and Immunology in Birds
3.Enrichment Programs

• SMDEP – Summer Medical and Dental Education Program
  • HCOP – Health Careers Opportunities Program
4.University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) Sharing Clinic Volunteer
5.Creighton University Medical Center (CUMC) Volunteer
6.Lab Assistant – Department of Biology
7.Center for Service and Justice Service Trip Coordinator/Leader
8.Gates Millennium Scholarship Mentor
9.Center for Service and Justice Service Trips

• Chicago, IL – Franciscan Outreach
  • New Orleans, LA – Catholic Charities
  • Omaha, NE – Siena-Francis House
10.Organizational Leadership

• Biology Club Secretary
  • CU African-American Student Association Historian
11.Organizations

• Pre Medical Society
  • CU-NAACP
  • CUASA (CU African-American Student Association)
  • BIO Club
  • SNMA - MAPS (Minority Association for Pre-Medical Students)
I know that with my GPA, a Post-Bac program is my best bet. My university has one and I know the directors on a first-name basis, plus they are great motivators and supporters of mine.

Advice or any correspondence will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Gee, those numbers look familiar. Your chances are very, very slim, as you suspect. I had excellent essays - I'm a pretty good writer and had tons of editing help - a high MCAT score, good experience, and an interview for the ages, and I still got waitlisted. At Arkansas. That was my only interview out of 28 applications.

I think you should try to bypass the SMP route if at all possible. Take a few classes to bump that sGPA over 3.0, work your ass off to kill the MCAT, and then apply. SMP's are extremely high risk for a moderate reward, so don't jump into one if you don't have to.

Above all else, once you apply, apply to DO schools(!!!!!!!!!!!). restricting myself to MD schools was the single biggest mistake I made when applying. Do not hamstring yourself that way. Apply early and broadly, nail your essays and the MCAT, and sell yourself like ShamWow at the interviews you get. You've got to be perfect to get an acceptance, but it's possible.

With your low BCPM GPA, doing a science-heavy post-bac is a realistic plan, or you could just delay graduation and take more science classes if that would be less expensive. If you score well on the MCAT, doing an SMP (Special Masters Program) is another option (You could read the Postbaccalaureate Forum for more information).

You can find great tips on studying for the MCAT on the MCAT Discussions Forum of SDN.

Your ECs look great as listed, but could you add more detail about the non-shadowing clinical experiences in terms of hours/months of involvement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it!

I am one of those people who is extremely hard on herself, and I just needed some instant advice about my chances. I can see that there is a way out of no way and I am determined to find it.

Again, I will stick around in the forums, visit the appropriate threads and chatrooms and revise my resume to be more descriptive.

ETA: Is there a requirements' booklet for DO schools like the "MSAR" for MD schools?

Thanks again...and any other advice would be awesome!

:D

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it!

I am one of those people who is extremely hard on herself, and I just needed some instant advice about my chances. I can see that there is a way out of no way and I am determined to find it.

Again, I will stick around in the forums, visit the appropriate threads and chatrooms and revise my resume to be more descriptive.

ETA: Is there a requirements' booklet for DO schools like the "MSAR" for MD schools?

Thanks again...and any other advice would be awesome!

If you search for posts by ChocolateBear, his sig has all kinds of info. like this for DO schools. Good luck to you!

might be different if ur URM. but u still need a good mcat to make up for that gpa..

If you search for posts by ChocolateBear, his sig has all kinds of info. like this for DO schools. Good luck to you!

Thank you. I found ChocolateBear and was able to look at the links in his or her signature.

might be different if ur URM. but u still need a good mcat to make up for that gpa..

Does URM mean "Underrepresented Minority"? Because I'm an African-American female....just so you know. Not that being a minority grants me anything.

And yes, I plan to ROCK the MCAT....with about 4 months dedicated to studying for it. (Including my winter break)

Even if all it grants you is preference at HBCU's, your ethnicity is an advantage. I'm absolutely not trying to get the whole AA debate going, but you should consider being URM a rather huge asset and play to it if possible (as you would do for any other strong point in your application).

Even if all it grants you is preference at HBCU's, your ethnicity is an advantage. I'm absolutely not trying to get the whole AA debate going, but you should consider being URM a rather huge asset and play to it if possible (as you would do for any other strong point in your application).

LOL, yes, lets not start the AA debate. I can't stop hearing the varying arguments on that topic enough these days.

Very interesting point you've made here, because I never thought about it that way. I was indeed always told by professors and advisors that there is a slight "edge" to being a minority pre-med student, due to the extreme shortage of minority physicians, but I never thought that it would make any difference in my overall application, and I never anticipated that it would.

:)

Last edited:
Thank you. I found ChocolateBear and was able to look at the links in his or her signature.

Does URM mean "Underrepresented Minority"? Because I'm an African-American female....just so you know. Not that being a minority grants me anything.

And yes, I plan to ROCK the MCAT....with about 4 months dedicated to studying for it. (Including my winter break)

yes i noticed ur involvement in minority premed councils, and some african american student council was it?

so yeah. if ur URM you will have a shot:thumbup:

yes i noticed ur involvement in minority premed councils, and some african american student council was it?

so yeah. if ur URM you will have a shot:thumbup:

Good to know. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that the Post-Bac program at my undergrad university is the best alternative that I have upon rejection.

Good to know. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that the Post-Bac program at my undergrad university is the best alternative that I have upon rejection.

Hey Erica...I think you have done a lot of great things so far! Be proud of what you have done...I am in the same boat as you! Pretty much the same gpa and I am taking the mcat in Jan. I am a minority too! woo hoo! lol but i think youre lucky to have a post bac program at your school! apply to both...i wish i had that opportunity...the nearest post bac program for me is like 8 hrs away. so you are lucky! apply for both! med school and post bac. it will all work out! good luck buddy! and make sure to keep positive people around you...ones that will encourage you and pray for you! negative people suck!:p

CHOCCHIP1207 - Thank you so much for your reply. I greatly appreciate the support and the encouragement. I feel somewhat out of my element and intimidated here in SDN Forums, because it seems like every other thread that I read, I feel like everyone is ten paces ahead of me (with great GPAs and great/average MCAT scores) and I'm falling behind and I'll never get in...etc. The bad feelings just rise up in my stomach like acid and I feel just....like no matter what I do, I won't get to that point.

I feel comforted and grateful for your post, and to hear that you and I are so similar, so thanks for that.

Also, yes, I guess I am lucky that my school has a Post-Bac program, but the fact that Post-Bac programs exist in the first place is a great thing, for those of us who need that second chance at our dream. Where there's a will, there's a way! And I believe that you will find your way. If the dream is big enough and strong enough, it can happen.

It's going to be HARD AS HECK, but I'll survive. We all will.

Thanks again for your post. I appreciate the kind words.

ETA: ANY OTHER ADVICE IS WELCOMED!

Last edited:
CHOCCHIP1207 - Thank you so much for your reply. I greatly appreciate the support and the encouragement. I feel somewhat out of my element and intimidated here in SDN Forums, because it seems like every other thread that I read, I feel like everyone is ten paces ahead of me (with great GPAs and great/average MCAT scores) and I'm falling behind and I'll never get in...etc. The bad feelings just rise up in my stomach like acid and I feel just....like no matter what I do, I won't get to that point.

I feel comforted and grateful for your post, and to hear that you and I are so similar, so thanks for that.

Also, yes, I guess I am lucky that my school has a Post-Bac program, but the fact that Post-Bac programs exist in the first place is a great thing, for those of us who need that second chance at our dream. Where there's a will, there's a way! And I believe that you will find your way. If the dream is big enough and strong enough, it can happen.

It's going to be HARD AS HECK, but I'll survive. We all will.

Thanks again for your post. I appreciate the kind words.

ETA: ANY OTHER ADVICE IS WELCOMED!

If you do well on the MCAT, I think you will have a chance, considering you're AA.

Your stats aren't that bad for schools like Meharry either.

He's the real URM. He'll get in to a minorty school w/ a 25 MCAT, and he'll get into a good state school with a 28+. Just you wait and see.

If you do well on the MCAT, I think you will have a chance, considering you're AA.

Your stats aren't that bad for schools like Meharry either.

Thanks. I plan to apply to Meharry, Howard and Morehouse among others. They sound so great on the brochures that I got in the mail.

He's the real URM. He'll get in to a minorty school w/ a 25 MCAT, and he'll get into a good state school with a 28+. Just you wait and see.

I'm sure he will. :D