Chances with ANY Caribbean School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maganda07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a low GPA -- 2.5, and an MCAT score of 19. Anyone know what my chances are in getting into a caribbean school?

Anyone know how tough they are on those with no research experience? Recommend a Post-Bacc? If so, which ones?

I am planning on re-taking the MCAT in January of 2009. I want to be accepted within the next year.

Anyone know of anybody that has been accepted with these statistics?

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a low GPA -- 2.5, and an MCAT score of 19. Anyone know what my chances are in getting into a caribbean school?

Anyone know how tough they are on those with no research experience? Recommend a Post-Bacc? If so, which ones?

I am planning on re-taking the MCAT in January of 2009. I want to be accepted within the next year.

You'd probably get in, I swear the schools in the Caribbean are all for profit. Have you thought of retaking some classes to replace your old GPA and do DO? At least DO is more guaranteed than an MD from Caribbean.

Why don't you find an alternative profession? Your GPA is too low for most post-bacc programs, 3.0 minimum requirement. You're wasting your time and now all your family and friends expect you to be hold an MD.

:scared: "ooohhh noooooooo"

LOL

If you go out of the country, you might as well stay there *******.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd probably get in, I swear the schools in the Caribbean are all for profit. Have you thought of retaking some classes to replace your old GPA and do DO? At least DO is more guaranteed than an MD from Caribbean.

You would probably get into A Caribbean school, but it likely would not be one which would be that invested in helping you become a physician.

Apart from the first portion of the post I agree. Try to boost your GPA by taking some classes at a local college and then see if you can get into a post-bacc program.

Retake your MCAT.

You should also talk to your pre-med counselor to see what strategies and advice they can lay out for you. I'm not sure your one-year timeframe is viable.

maganda
the problem I see is that if you go down to the Caribbean and are there with the study habits, etc. that got you a 2.5 GPA and a 19 MCAT you aren't going to be able to pass the US medical licensing exam (set of 3 tests that you MUST pass to be able to get a license in the US). The USMLE Step 1 and USMLE Step 2 are standardized, timed, multiple choice tests (one you take usually after 2nd year of medical school, and one after your 3rd year, or early in the 4th year). Those tests are HARD and cover a lot of material. The problem is if you can't pass these tests then you will have spent tons of money on medical school tuition and then potentially have no chance for a residency in the US, and you can't practice medicine without a residency and your license. So even if you get in to some school in the Caribbean right now, they'd be doing you a disservice by taking your money when maybe you wouldn't be able to finish school, or if you did you probably won't pass the medical licensing exam.

You need to think this through more. Stay up here in the states, make a plan for studying. Take some more undergrad classes, retake the MCAT - make sure that med school work is for you and that you can get A's and B's in all your science classes and score at least mid 20's on the MCAT. It sounds harsh to say so, but medicine isn't for every single person and they make you memorize and learn so much crap in medical school and residency - you gotta know that you are an academic animal and that's something you want to do and can do, before you make some big financial and time commitment to pursue this.