Chances with past criminal record?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panda84

Reaction score
I'm in the process of applying to vet school this summer, and I was wondering if anyone has experience getting into vet school with a criminal record?

I am 35 years old and I'm a recovering addict. I have 7.5 years clean and turned my life around. I have 4 drug related misdemeanors on my record that are over 10 years old. I am disclosing my addiction in my explanation statement. Does anyone have any experience getting into vet school with a record or know anyone who has got in with a record?

This is my first post on here...hopefully I'm posting in the appropriate place...

Members don't see this ad.

To my understanding, this shouldn't automatically disqualify you. I know someone on here with a similar background (however, not sure if they had a record) who is now a veterinary student. I think that if you are able to depict how your experiences have made you a better person, and as long as the other aspects of your application look good, you should be just fine. Admissions committees are looking for personal development, and it sounds like you likely have quite a bit of that going on.

Be prepared to discuss at length, I would assume, as this is a HUGE topic in vet and human med right now. I think it can be spun the right way for your application and I wouldn’t think it would automatically disqualify you but be aware that it may affect your ability to get a DEA license as a vet (I had to answer if I’d had any previous drug-related offenses on my application). Not that a DEA is required necessarily but may become something of a limiting factor, especially when it comes to future employment.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your biggest issue is going to be with the DEA once you are a vet. The chances of you obtaining a DEA license with a past history is practically nil.

With the recent emphasis on the opioid crisis, it won't be long before you will not be allowed to work under another vets DEA license. This is already true for the state I am in. Every vet has to have their own DEA license to prescribe controlled drugs.

If you are aiming to do a veterinary career that doesn't prescribe controlled drugs, then you will be ok. But any type of clinical vet career, may be difficult with how DEA regulations are changing due to the opioid crisis.

Reactions: 1 users
I think your biggest issue is going to be with the DEA once you are a vet. The chances of you obtaining a DEA license with a past history is practically nil.

With the recent emphasis on the opioid crisis, it won't be long before you will not be allowed to work under another vets DEA license. This is already true for the state I am in. Every vet has to have their own DEA license to prescribe controlled drugs.

If you are aiming to do a veterinary career that doesn't prescribe controlled drugs, then you will be ok. But any type of clinical vet career, may be difficult with how DEA regulations are changing due to the opioid crisis.
Just want to add from a pharmacy perspective, some chain pharmacies will not let vet patients fill prescriptions unless the vet has a DEA number (IME a license number is sufficient, but YMMV), so your patients would be very limited in where they could fill pet prescriptions. Ideally you could have an NPI number but they don't give vets NPIs.

Just want to add from a pharmacy perspective, some chain pharmacies will not let vet patients fill prescriptions unless the vet has a DEA number (IME a license number is sufficient, but YMMV), so your patients would be very limited in where they could fill pet prescriptions. Ideally you could have an NPI number but they don't give vets NPIs.

Yeah and vets are reporting these chain pharmacies to the DEA and the pharmacy board. They are using the DEA license as an identifier which is 100% against DEA rules. I have had my go with a few pharmacists before regarding this.

Basically, use our state license number or expect to answer to the DEA why you can't figure out this very basic task.

Reactions: 1 user
What we have come to find out is that the pharmacies the refuse to the fill the scripts without a DEA are just being lazy and don't want to do the work around of using the veterinary license number instead. So I have no issues reporting their asses until they remove their heads from said ass and follow the rules.

i

So it sounds like I need to do some research on this. I just googled DEA license there is a lot of information on their webpage I know nothing about...I'm wondering if I should just call or email someone there. Do you think that's the best way to find out the requirements for a license?

i

So it sounds like I need to do some research on this. I just googled DEA license there is a lot of information on their webpage I know nothing about...I'm wondering if I should just call or email someone there. Do you think that's the best way to find out the requirements for a license?

The application is pretty straightforward- personal info, workplace info and schedules of drugs you’d want to be prescribing (which for vets is basically all but schedule I) but does include questions about previous drug related offenses/consequences.

I would contact your local DEA field officer with this question. Their info is on the DEA website.

I don't know anyone in this exact situation, but I want to say congratulations and I'm so happy you've turned things around. I struggled with some things in my past as well, and know full well how difficult it can be to break the cycle of addiction.

Reactions: 8 users