Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member000000000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I was wondering about your thoughts on my chances.

I am a non-traditional student that graduated from a top 5 public university with a 3.2 cgpa (with a strong upward trend).

My grades early on were "okay" but then I had one really really bad semester were I earned a 0.xxx gpa because of personal issues during my sophomore year (and it was too late to drop when I realized I needed to drop). Because of this low semester following a complete withdraw from classes the previous semester, I was suspended from school. I took 2 courses at a community college about a year later and was readmitted to my original school the following semester(with explanation of course).

When I reentered school, I took spring, summer, fall, and winter classes for 2 years straight. For those two years of class I had about a 3.7-8cgpa. With the very low gpa I had before, it averaged out to a 3.2.

When I originally started college attempted premed, but I wasn't focused, didn't do well, and one bad situation after another happened. When I went back, I still wanted to try for medicine, but my gpa was so low I thought it would never happen so I didn't finish the pre reqs. After graduating, I began working but still couldn't get medicine out of my head. I did some research and found out about DO school (I had never heard of it) and I began to have hope.

I am currently taking undergraduate classes (full time) at a state university. I take at least 3 science classes with 2 labs every semester. My cgpa is about a 3.7. Because I retook some classes, my cgpa and sgpa according to the DO application is about a 3.6. I did not calculate my overall for MD but I'm guessing 3.3-4 cgpa and 3.0sgpa give or take .1 points for science (all the classes I failed during the bad semester were math).

I currently have 3 classes I need to take in January before taking the mcat. I want to apply 2014. Do I have a chance? What MCAT score do I need? Is taking the MCAT late June/early July too late? I really want to take time to study for 2 solid months. Also, I am an URM (african american female).

Thanks guys!

your 3.6 is competitive for DO schools provided you get your MCAT within the range of the schools you're applying to. You should calculate your amcas MD cGPA and BCPM GPA. Schools do care about an upward trend and they will see you just had one bad semester but have gotten awesome grades since then. Depending on what you get on the MCAT you might actually have a good shot at getting into an MD school since you said your Amcas GPA is probably 3.3-3.4 and you are an URM. I would apply broadly to both DO and MD schools. Good luck

I think your re-invention will be good enough for either MD or DO schools. Ideally, you should aim for high 20s at the minimum. Good luck!

Hi everyone, I was wondering about your thoughts on my chances.

I am a non-traditional student that graduated from a top 5 public university with a 3.2 cgpa (with a strong upward trend).

My grades early on were "okay" but then I had one really really bad semester were I earned a 0.xxx gpa because of personal issues during my sophomore year (and it was too late to drop when I realized I needed to drop). Because of this low semester following a complete withdraw from classes the previous semester, I was suspended from school. I took 2 courses at a community college about a year later and was readmitted to my original school the following semester(with explanation of course).

When I reentered school, I took spring, summer, fall, and winter classes for 2 years straight. For those two years of class I had about a 3.7-8cgpa. With the very low gpa I had before, it averaged out to a 3.2.

When I originally started college attempted premed, but I wasn't focused, didn't do well, and one bad situation after another happened. When I went back, I still wanted to try for medicine, but my gpa was so low I thought it would never happen so I didn't finish the pre reqs. After graduating, I began working but still couldn't get medicine out of my head. I did some research and found out about DO school (I had never heard of it) and I began to have hope.

I am currently taking undergraduate classes (full time) at a state university. I take at least 3 science classes with 2 labs every semester. My cgpa is about a 3.7. Because I retook some classes, my cgpa and sgpa according to the DO application is about a 3.6. I did not calculate my overall for MD but I'm guessing 3.3-4 cgpa and 3.0sgpa give or take .1 points for science (all the classes I failed during the bad semester were math).

I currently have 3 classes I need to take in January before taking the mcat. I want to apply 2014. Do I have a chance? What MCAT score do I need? Is taking the MCAT late June/early July too late? I really want to take time to study for 2 solid months. Also, I am an URM (african american female).

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro, would your hunch that this reinvention would be good enough for either MD or DO schools also be applicable to a non-URM? I'm in pretty much the exact same situation, but I'm white. Thanks.

Thank you, Goro, for always taking your time to share your wisdom. This gives me hope! Will keep working hard.