Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swag636373838

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore the username, just trying to remain anonymous.

Just got MCAT scores back, and got a very average score of 498 (125/126/123/124)
Average GPA of 3.7
Applying in-state in West Virginia MD programs at WVU and Marshall
Major amount of hours doing research: 400+ hours (paid and volunteered)
150+ hours community service
Athlete

I realize that my scores are very average, but with in-state applications, what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you look into DO programs and starting with WVSOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
You realize a 498 is about a 24 on the old MCAT right?
yes, but 24 is the requirement for early decision for WVU medical school. Like I said, I'm not bragging at all about my grades/scores. But I've shown a lot of my worth through research and publications. Because I am in state, there may still be a chance.

Ignore the username, just trying to remain anonymous.

Just got MCAT scores back, and got a very average score of 498 (125/126/123/124)
Average GPA of 3.7
Applying in-state in West Virginia MD programs at WVU and Marshall
Major amount of hours doing research: 400+ hours (paid and volunteered)
150+ hours community service
Athlete

I realize that my scores are very average, but with in-state applications, what are my chances?

Are you an URM? Did you do anything besides research and community service, such as leadership positions? Did any of your research get published? I will not say it is impossible to get into an md program with that MCAT, but you will likely need to bring something else significant to the table. Perhaps you should consider retaking the MCAT? Best of luck!

Are you an URM? Did you do anything besides research and community service, such as leadership positions? Did any of your research get published? I will not say it is impossible to get into an md program with that MCAT, but you will likely need to bring something else significant to the table. Perhaps you should consider retaking the MCAT? Best of luck!
Yes, I am. I do hold leadership positions and have publications. Thank you though!! That's what I thought