Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I will be applying to Ohio State dental school this summer with these credentials:
Grade/Age: Junior, 21
Race/Gender: Caucasian, male
Undergrad: a state school in Ohio
Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Chemistry
GPA: 4.00
AA: 21
TS: 20
PAT: 20
Community service hours: 110 (mostly involved in one organization recently)
Observation hours: 120 (with 5 different dentists)
Research: One summer for diabetes institute at a medical school, co-authored a recently published paper
Involvement: Pre-dental club 2 years, running club, scholarship program
Leadership: none
Jobs during school: General Chemistry review session leader (5 hours per week), tutor (10 hours per week)
Other application strengths:
- From southeastern Appalachia Ohio
- Planning to start a practice in southeastern Appalachia Ohio with my brother (who is currently finishing up dental school at OSU)
- Took a well-rounded course load (will have 11/13 pre-reqs completed by end of junior year), have averaged 16-17 credits, took a business undertone of coursework, took a year of spanish, and took other useful classes that weren't part of my major (medical terminology, sociology, will be taking psychology, etc...)
- Did not have any credits coming into college. I have taken all of my classes at the state school where I am enrolled at, and have not taken a summer class.
- High school valedictorian
- Am possibly going to be working as a dental assistant starting at the beginning of this summer
Other application weaknesses:
- Have not taken (and probably will not take, since it is not required by my major or by OSU's pre-reqs) organic chemistry labs
- No concrete evidence that I have good hand skills since I don't really do much with my hands... However, I have always displayed great hand-eye coordination in sports, am a very fast/accurate typer, and am an above average video gamer (for whatever that is worth haha)
- My letters of recommendations will probably be similar to the average applicant; I have made some OKAY acquaintances/connections, but no real GREAT relationships with faculty members or employers

What do you think my chances are? Any interview tips at OSU, or application process tips as a whole?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stats are solid, thick, tight.

Apply to maybe 6-10 schools though. Don't bank on getting into any one school.

Reactions: 3 users
IMG_5735.JPG
Stats are solid, thick, tight.

Apply to maybe 6-10 schools though. Don't bank on getting into any one school.

Stats are thicker, tighter, and solider than my balls. I anticipate your victory very soon.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you just made my future application look like horse crap

Reactions: 1 user
you just made my future application look like horse crap
You'd be surprised how many amazing candidates are out there. OP has a solid application but I've seen some that made me do a double take.

Wouldn't your tutoring fall under leadership? even if you were paid for it

Wouldn't your tutoring fall under leadership? even if you were paid for it

I was not sure about what categories to put tutoring and review session review leader in... Would you put them in as both a job (since it was paid work) and as leadership? I would consider review leader as much more of a leadership role than tutoring, though.