Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsalwayssunny96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since her GPA is low, she would have a better shot if her DAT was 21+.
Research isn't necessary but would improve the application as a whole.
She really needs to get more shadowing hours 100+. Also, shadow as many specialties as possible.

It will be tough with a GPA that low, so do anything to get it up, including retaking classes.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
post-bacc. C's in prereqs are gonna make things very difficult unless the DAT is out of this world

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
post-bacc. C's in prereqs are gonna make things very difficult unless the DAT is out of this world
Even if she applies broadly, she still wouldn't really have a shot unless she did a post-bacc?

Volunteering as a dental assistant can help her look really good as an applicant. If there's community clinic that does pro bono dentistry for the poor, sometimes they'll let college students volunteer as dental assistants. Getting involved in her college's pre-dental club can also give her great dental-related service opportunities. She has to show the schools that she's serious about dentistry.

I agree with the above statement about needing to increase her shadowing hours. Shadowing is so boring compared to actually doing dentistry, so I feel her pain. haha

Also, she needs to make sure her application is awesome with a great cover letter and solid letters of recommendation (preferably from professors she got A's from). The volunteer work she has already done is great, and she should definitely put that on her application as well.

Crushing the DAT should be her number one priority. Chad's videos on Coursesaver.com will help her with chemistry more than anything out there. Also, practice tests are great. I really liked DATBootcamp.com. She should use the DAT as an opportunity to prove that she can do well in dental school.

Apply broadly, like you said. It's expensive, but I would at least apply before jumping into a year of post-bacc -- especially if she does really well on the DAT and the rest of her application is excellent.

And if it doesn't work out, a post-bacc with continued dental-related volunteerism is a good way to go.

Yea so like he said above it might be worth your time to do post-bacc. If you were my personal friend I would say post-bacc and dont waste your money competing this year against highly qualified applicants with much higher grades. We are talking about thousands of dollars here on an unlikely scenario.

Yea so like he said above it might be worth your time to do post-bacc. If you were my personal friend I would say post-bacc and dont waste your money competing this year against highly qualified applicants with much higher grades. We are talking about thousands of dollars here on an unlikely scenario.
Yeah, I personally am pre-med, but when she told me her GPA, I was a bit wary. I feel like she doesn't feel like she needs to pursue a post-bacc, but I'll let her know about your input on her situation. Maybe it'll be good coming from someone other than me lol.

If she can afford to burn through thousands of dollars in application and secondary fees, I would tell her to apply.

I would say her stats are weak at the moment.

21+DAT I would say.
increase gpa of possible.
More shadow and volunteer.

I don't think there is correlation between when you take your DAT and application strength.

Real tip: she should focus a lot of time on Chem when studying for the DAT. Also, do practice problems that aren't DAT related to get chemistry skills down and more concrete, then switch to DAT type questions. Have her focus on major theories and chemical interactions.

Edit: it's not all numbers. Genuine interest in the school(I honestly think my letter help me though I will never know) can go a long way. I didn't write a letter of intent, but a letter that told them very specifically what drew me in and what made me feel comfy and welcomed at my school.
Proof that it is not all numbers is that there are many people with 3.5+ 21/20+ DATs and don't get in many places or don't get in. Build an application that is YOU not what the adcoms want to see. Obviously there are component you should have, but be you. They don't want the same people in every class (personality. And individualizations is something to be proud of)

Interviews are key!!! For me, I was relaxed and ic I did it again I'd do it mostly the same besides a few better answers. I cracked jokes and made my interviewers laugh, but also showed them I was serious about what I was doing.

Last edited: