DO Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning on applying for 2018-2019 cycle:

Major: Psychology
cGPA: 3.61
sGPA: 3.49
MCAT #1: 497
MCAT #2: 502 (124 (ran out of time), 125, 125, 128)
I have been working in an inpatient Psych unit at a general hospital for 1.5 years now.
Currently arranging to shadow a MD and a DO.
CT resident.
4 year member and 2 year captain of my school's Varsity Field Hockey Team.
Lots of Psych research experience and have presented in a professional section of Eastern Psychological Association's conference in Times Square, NY.
I am very interested in UNECOM, LECOM-Bradenton, LECOM-Erie, PCOM. In that order. I am also applying to other schools but those are my top 3. Please give any other school recommendations. I have a larger list of interested schools but I want to do more research/visit them before I am sure I will apply.

Is there anything else I could do to boost my application since my grades/MCAR are so low? Please advise. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anything else I could do to boost my application since my grades/MCAR are so low? Please advise. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Apply broadly for DO schools. Your MCAT is low for MD. Your GPA/MCAT is good for lot of DO schools.

You are competitive for the majority of DO schools and I suggest all these:
UNECOM
LECOM
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ICOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything else I could do to boost my application since my grades/MCAR are so low? Please advise. Thanks!

Apply broadly for DO schools. Your MCAT is low for MD. Your GPA/MCAT is good for lot of DO schools.[/QUOTE]

I was planning on applying to all DO schools except for my state school (UConn) which I know will be a miracle if I get a secondary. Thanks for the advice!

You are competitive for the majority of DO schools and I suggest all these:
UNECOM
LECOM
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ICOM

Thanks for giving me your suggested schools! I will definitely look into them! :)

Get a DO letter in case you need it. Do you have any nonclinical experience?

I don't have much non-clinical experience other than volunteering at schools here and there. I'll arrange to do some hours (30?) at my local homeless shelter/soup kitchen if you think that will help. With my job now I mainly work with the underserved as most of my patients are homeless, mentally challenged and in need. I'm currently actively looking for a DO to shadow so I'll hopefully obtain a letter from them after I shadow. Thanks for your advice!! :)

Just a heads up, I think PCOM asked for a LOR from the dean back when I applied. Find out the little discrepancies of each school to make your application process as smooth as possible.

You mentioned having a lot of experience in psych research, are there any prospectives for a publication? Even if doesn’t help you now, it will help later when applying for residencies.

Hello! I am starting LECOM-Erie this July and can answer any questions you have as you've stated it is one of your top 3. First and foremost the most important thing for you is to apply EARLY! LECOM does seem to like to fill its seats as soon as they can. If you can have all of your application in by June your odds will greatly increase, so best of luck!

Your stats are in the range, a little weak, but a strong set of letters and personal statement will help.

Hello! I am starting LECOM-Erie this July and can answer any questions you have as you've stated it is one of your top 3. First and foremost the most important thing for you is to apply EARLY! LECOM does seem to like to fill its seats as soon as they can. If you can have all of your application in by June your odds will greatly increase, so best of luck!

Your stats are in the range, a little weak, but a strong set of letters and personal statement will help.

Thank you for the tip! I plan on submitting on or before June 1st. Just tweaking my personal statement and waiting for DO and MD LORs.

Just a heads up, I think PCOM asked for a LOR from the dean back when I applied. Find out the little discrepancies of each school to make your application process as smooth as possible.

You mentioned having a lot of experience in psych research, are there any prospectives for a publication? Even if doesn’t help you now, it will help later when applying for residencies.
Thank you for the tips! Yes, my professor and I are trying to publish eventually. I didn't think about that helping me for residencies!