Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.2 (UCSD)

OAT Scores: QR 320
RC 310
BIO 330
GCHEM 300
OCHEM 320
PYSIC 270
TOTAL 300
AA 310

Members don't see this ad.

not bad, may or may not have a chance. redo the oat and you might be alright, but depending on what school you apply to you might be ok with what you have now...

I'd say at some schools you have a chance, others not as much.. since your GPA is a bit below average I'd recommend retaking the OAT and kicking butt on it. How is the rest of your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not get in with 3.49 GPA and 320/320 on OAT, have 3-4 yrs experience in opt field, volunteer work, etc etc...

Maybe it was my personality, but honestly I think it was my OAT scores. At least try to obtain a 300 on all sections. Also, you can call up the schools that you are interested in- they will provide advice to you.

It would be better if you specified the schools you were interested in.
Like others have said, your OAT scores are not very competitive, since 300 is 50 percentile, and most applicants have higher scores than that.

However, if you have shown genuine interest and passion in optometry (through volunteering, shadowing, research papers, etc.), you might be able to compensate for your lower scores.

Def retake your OATs and bring up your Physics section. As others said you need minimum >300 in all sections to be "competitive." If a school is interested, I would imagine they request you to retake the OATs anyway.

If you are going to be stubborn about it and not retake, then I would make DAMN SURE you apply the first day they start taking applications. Although I'm sure things will be a lot trickier w/ the new computerized system. Isn't it going to be a big pool? I'm not sure how that is working but it seems like even more reason to RETAKE. It is the one part of your app you can take easier & faster control of.

Thank you for the input. Yes I will take OAT again in first week of July and then apply on July 15 with central application available. I hope it is not that bad as it is first year they are starting...

Hey preopt,
I'm from UCSD as well and am going to opto school in the fall. I worked for Kaplan for a little while and was wondering if you wanna purchase my OAT materials. Let me know!

Hi Dinglestar,

No, sorry I already have materials. Thanks

Hey preopt,
I'm from UCSD as well and am going to opto school in the fall. I worked for Kaplan for a little while and was wondering if you wanna purchase my OAT materials. Let me know!

Hi. For how much? Thanks.

$50 for the Review Notes (the big book that's used for personal study), the Study Guide (the book used in Kaplan course), and the TEL (the complementary Study Guide for Kaplan instructors). If you need help with the OAT, getting an internship in SD or applying to schools in general you can PM me. Cheers!

The first time I applied I had a 3.8 gpa in science with similar OAT scores and got 1 interview but did not get in. So I retook the OAT and got a 310 to 360 in all sections and was accepted to 2 schools. Still didnt get in to 3 others, but did at my 1st choice.

With the 3 new schools you will have a better chance of getting in now than a few years ago.