Change Facebook name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheNewGuy8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see any recent info about this. What are thoughts on changing your facebook name during applications? Or do people just edit their current pages?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't see any recent info about this. What are thoughts on changing your facebook name during applications? Or do people just edit their current pages?

you can do either, I'd change the name though I think that seems easier and make it completely private

I deactivated mine during the app season....

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't change anything. If you do, do something more clever than first name middle name. If they really want to find you, do you really think that'll fool them?

I honestly don't think they have time nor want to even bother with checking peoples FB pages. Residency is another story though.

It's pretty silly that you would think to change your name on fb rather than just deactivating it.

Why not just have very private settings, especially for the public?

Also, just don't be an idiot online or put up inappropriate pictures. I opted for those two, in addition to a slight modification of my last name that was a nickname all friends would recognize. However, I couldn't care less if a dean, my boss, or a residency direction scoured my FB. Just don't have anything dumb on there. This is a non-issue.

Why would you change your Facebook? Who cares?

Just delete the pictures where you were raging too hard at the bar after that awful biochemistry final.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe they have pictures of them smoking weed and wielding their glocks?

It's not illegal to own a glock...? I've gone shooting with physicians that I know/ work with on multiple occasions.

It's not illegal to own a glock...? I've gone shooting with physicians that I know/ work with on multiple occasions.

Yes, you are right. But I was picturing someone not using the correct precautions with their firearms in their living room while their baby brother is crawling around.

Get rid of Facebook all together. We're adults.

no-def-not.gif

I was totally reminded of this thread when I read the featured article. ;D I Googled myself and was surprised to find that I wasn't the only one with my name, and these other people may or may not be unsavory characters. How thorough are adcoms with making sure they have the right person before deciding to toss someone's app?! I did read in some business thing about people finding out that they were declined a job offer because the employers had the wrong FB profile or something. I'm almost tempted to make my FB page searchable just to clear up any confusion....

I was totally reminded of this thread when I read the featured article. ;D I Googled myself and was surprised to find that I wasn't the only one with my name, and these other people may or may not be unsavory characters. How thorough are adcoms with making sure they have the right person before deciding to toss someone's app?! I did read in some business thing about people finding out that they were declined a job offer because the employers had the wrong FB profile or something. I'm almost tempted to make my FB page searchable just to clear up any confusion....

:thumbdown:

I just changed my Facebook name for teh lulz. No one will ever find me now! Muahahaha!!!!

IMHO, they know you have a facebook...hiding it or making it completely private raises suspicion.

Last edited:
Change privacy settings?

+1

Anything else and you just need to take an honest look at yourself and ask if you're really doing anything inappropriate. Being photographed drinking with friends, even regularly, is fine. Being photographed/taped in say... a bar fight is another story.

Also consider your demeanor online. If you regularly find yourself in heavy personal arguments here or on facebook, spring for the name change/deactivation.

IMHO, they know you have a facebook...hiding it or making it completely private raises suspicion.
That's ridiculous. I've had mine completely private since I first got facebook. It's not because I'm hiding something but because I share with the people I want to share with. That's the point of privacy.