Change in career path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kww03

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a pre pharmacy student. I've pretty much struggled my whole college career and discovered today that I've retaken way more classes than I should have. This resulted in me considering a new career path. I thought pushing through and taking my chances with pharmacy school might be worth it but also discovered today how pharmacy school graduates are struggling to find work. I feel a little lost as I don't know what possible career path to take. At this point I'm close to finishing my bachelor's degree in biomedical sciences but don't really know of what options I have with that degree.

I'm just feeling a little lost and was wondering if there was anyone who has been in a similar situation that could offer any advice? I don't know if any other professional schools are an option considering my GPA and retakes, but if anyone has advice on what I can in regards to improving my chances I would appreciate any and all help.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how much biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering are related but the latter can be a career path you can take.

Computer programmers are in very high demand right now. You have the options of going to a coding bootcamp, or going back for a bachelors or masters in computer science.

Reactions: 4 users
Wandering around the employment maze searching for something..anything is a lost cause .....Businesses are screaming for help...start nosing around at places that might be a fit or even close......set a time line...start tomorrow...Do NOT go near a pharmacy..

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how much biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering are related but the latter can be a career path you can take.

Computer programmers are in very high demand right now. You have the options of going to a coding bootcamp, or going back for a bachelors or masters in computer science.
getting a second bachelors is useless for CS. Coding bootcamp is the best route.

getting a second bachelors is useless for CS. Coding bootcamp is the best route.
Getting a degree over a certificate is much better. You will at least know the basic concepts in OOP, data structures, database management practices, basic understanding of software life cycle, etc. Skills any software developer or engineer should have. Certificates can't cover all that. Only take the bootcamp route if you know for sure you can get an offer from some company that is looking for something specific.

Getting a degree over a certificate is much better. You will at least know the basic concepts in OOP, data structures, database management practices, basic understanding of software life cycle, etc. Skills any software developer or engineer should have. Certificates can't cover all that. Only take the bootcamp route if you know for sure you can get an offer from some company that is looking for something specific.
I got a masters in CS and you are right, you might learn a lot wide variety of concepts. The thing is though that employers dont care about degree. So why waste time doing it? Many of that stuff you can learn yourself. Coding bootcamps are usually only a couple months and many of them partner with companies. I know my company partnered with a bootcamp and we had a guy who was a teacher for 10 years become and engineer.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a masters in CS and you are right, you might learn a lot wide variety of concepts. The thing is though that employers dont care about degree. So why waste time doing it? Many of that stuff you can learn yourself. Coding bootcamps are usually only a couple months and many of them partner with companies. I know my company partnered with a bootcamp and we had a guy who was a teacher for 10 years become and engineer.
Cause the degree is worth more than certificates across the board. I mean, why even get a certificate if you can literally learn everything off youtube, stackoverflow, and google? Certificates are valuable in your case where the company is looking for specific skill sets.
Also, how do you find out about companies that are partnered with bootcamps? I only hear of people getting these types of deals when a friend who works with the company puts in a word.
I would have loved to have just done a bootcamp and started off my career but I didn't get any deals where a company told me to complete a bootcamp.

Cause the degree is worth more than certificates across the board. I mean, why even get a certificate if you can literally learn everything off youtube, stackoverflow, and google? Certificates are valuable in your case where the company is looking for specific skill sets.
I disagree. I don't think college is worth it anymore. I had to take classes in my undergad like humanities and history that had no bearing on what i was studying and it was just a useless way for schools to make money.

Also, how do you find out about companies that are partnered with bootcamps? I only hear of people getting these types of deals when a friend who works with the company puts in a word.

I would have loved to have just done a bootcamp and started off my career but I didn't get any deals where a company told me to complete a bootcamp.
You would have to ask the bootcamp in question. The bootcamp for the the guy we hired that i mentioned in the other post was this one.

One thing i want to make clear is whether you do a bootcamp or a degree, you will need to know how to code. Many companies ask algorithm type questions during interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree. I don't think college is worth it anymore. I had to take classes in my undergad like humanities and history that had no bearing on what i was studying and it was just a useless way for schools to make money.

You would have to ask the bootcamp in question. The bootcamp for the the guy we hired that i mentioned in the other post was this one.

One thing i want to make clear is whether you do a bootcamp or a degree, you will need to know how to code. Many companies ask algorithm type questions during interviews.
If your argument on why degrees are useless is because you have to take elective courses that does not relate to your career choice, thats a whole different argument. With a degree, it at least shows you are aware of basic concepts. With certificates, thats just a very specific skill set.
I guess the coding interview can give insight on your knowledge but I heard most software engineers don't go through a coding interview unless you working for a big tech company. It seems more common that they are looking at your educational background, work experience, and projects on github.
Honestly it depends on the person's situation. If they don't have time to get another degree, bootcamp is best bet. For me, I had the choice of going to pharm school or just spending another 2.5 years getting a degree in CS. Tuition is cheap in Florida so it was a no brainer for me.

If your argument on why degrees are useless is because you have to take elective courses that does not relate to your career choice, thats a whole different argument. With a degree, it at least shows you are aware of basic concepts. With certificates, thats just a very specific skill set.
I guess the coding interview can give insight on your knowledge but I heard most software engineers don't go through a coding interview unless you working for a big tech company. It seems more common that they are looking at your educational background, work experience, and projects on github.
Honestly it depends on the person's situation. If they don't have time to get another degree, bootcamp is best bet. For me, I had the choice of going to pharm school or just spending another 2.5 years getting a degree in CS. Tuition is cheap in Florida so it was a no brainer for me.
I went the same route as you. If could do it again, I would definitely do bootcamp

Disagree. OP is almost done with his degree. He doesn't have time to spend another 4 years getting another degree. He can do a boot camp then get his degree while working if he wants one. His employer may even pay for it.

My cousin got hired after doing a boot camp. He is the lazy type who plays video games all day and barely studies. If he can do it then anyone can.

Reactions: 1 users
Disagree. OP is almost done with his degree. He doesn't have time to spend another 4 years getting another degree. He can do a boot camp then get his degree while working if he wants one. His employer may even pay for it.

My cousin got hired after doing a boot camp. He is the lazy type who plays video games all day and barely studies. If he can do it then anyone can.
Getting a second degree doesn't take another 4 years. Its more like another 2-3 years. If OP was going to go to pharm school for another 4 years, what is another 2?
I highly doubt your cousin is lazy. Bootcamps are very intense. You also can't just go into bootcamp without previous knowledge, you need to qualify to get in.

I can understand your concern but see it all depends upon you. What is your interest is the biggest question. Let me tell you about me. I am a java developer and trainer but prior to this, I was a medical student. After getting lost in what to do, I started searching for other professions that are worth in today's era and if I can do besides my medical background. And then I came to know about a coding bootcamp in Bay Area. After going through their courses and training, I came to know that anybody can do this course and build a shining career ahead in IT world. SynergisticIT really helped me a lot with training and live projects. Now I am a pretty good developer and trainer. You can go through their coding bootcamp courses here - Coding Bootcamps In Bay Area CA