Change in Future Board Exams?

Started by canshman
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

canshman

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I heard through another current optometry student that the Board exams will change in the next couple of years, so that Part I and Part II will be combined. Has anyone else heard this?
 
canshman said:
Hey I heard through another current optometry student that the Board exams will change in the next couple of years, so that Part I and Part II will be combined. Has anyone else heard this?
I heard that the board exams will change for class of 2010, but then I didnt hear that Part I and Part II will be combined. I just heard that part I will be based more on Clinical cases.
 
If part I becomes more clinical, how would it differ from part II?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really don't think Part I should be more clinical b/c by the time you take it, you really have not much clinical exposure. Sure you have seen a few patients, but not enough to be clinically great.
 
I *think* what I heard was that part I would become more problem related to clinical situations, or more application of knowledge instead of straight knowledge....
 
jefguth said:
I *think* what I heard was that part I would become more problem related to clinical situations, or more application of knowledge instead of straight knowledge....


When i took it two years ago, they tried for the first time...grouping questions into a set of blocks. Like a little scenario with the following three questions pertaining to the scenario. I think they only had two sets of this on the whole set of boards.

It matter to me, wasn't any less difficult or challenging.
 
When I interviewed at SCO, I was told the boards for the class of 2010 (and all those after) are actually going to be held later than they currently are. That's why SCO is changing from quarters to semesters and will be having summer classes after the second year, since more clinical based questions will be on the boards. Anyone else hear this when they went to SCO?
 
HazelEyes34 said:
When I interviewed at SCO, I was told the boards for the class of 2010 (and all those after) are actually going to be held later than they currently are. That's why SCO is changing from quarters to semesters and will be having summer classes after the second year, since more clinical based questions will be on the boards. Anyone else hear this when they went to SCO?

Yup, that's what I heard too.