CHange of Careers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheHillCrew

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
THis is for the people who were established in a career and than changed to pharmacy? What was your career before pharmacy? WHy did you change careers? What were the negative aspects of your past or present career that made you want to change to pharmacy? If you are a practicing pharmacist now, was the career change worth it? Out of all the careers why change to pharmacy?
 
I am currently a scientist working in a university. I have a PhD in Biochemistry. I have applied and got accepted by a pharmacy school.

I was quite "idealistic" about science profession before, thinking scientists pursuing their research interests supported by government agencies. However, after I really worked, I realized doing science is much more complicated and stressful than that. I normally work 60 hours/week, paid 50~60K. I need to get fund to support part of my own salary. If I could not get the fund, I could be easily kicked out. The competition in this fiels is ridiculously high, and almost hopeless for me to obtain a tenure job. I have two kids. I cannot imagine what I can do to support my family if I lose my job.

I am an organized person, and want predictable future. That's why I decided to shift to Pharmacy. Since I am not in school yet, I could not say whether I regret the decision yet.