Change of process???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allright SDN Community. Let me bounce this little idea off you guys and gals.

Should the Medical School application process be changed to reflect the idea and concept of Residency Match w/Match Day?

It sure seems like it would make the whole process a lot more streamlined and predictable.

Members don't see this ad.

Having participated in the Texas match, I can say that it is such a relief to know that waiting is over. Though it puts more pressure before the match, because you know the exact day you'll find out, it certainly allows for much relief after it has happened.

i.e. I sure would like to have a day that I could point to, to say I will know for sure then. It would make planning my life a little easier. Despite the fact I would probably not know where I'm going, it's reassuring having a date.

Maybe I'm just sick of checking my email every few minutes to see if the medical schools have accepted me. erf...

Members don't see this ad :)
The idea behind the match is really nice, however, residency match has many obstacles to overcome that would only be exaggerated if it was implemented for med school admissions.

The biggest problem is that residency match does not allow for competition among residency programs. Everyone recieves the same relative pay. (note, key word "relative") Prior to the match system, programs and residents would negotiate with each other for salary. But, because of that, people would not necessarily end up at the program of their choice. It was more first come first serve. If you were offered a position, you could take it or decline and risk not recieving another offer.

As for a med school admissions, tuition can really dictate where someone goes. Some schools have better financial packages and some give scholarships. Cost can be a significant factor when choosing a med school.

I think the TX match is a great system, but it only works because they are all state schools with very low tuition. Maybe CA schools should implement a match system.

Oh well, those are my thoughts.

i like the way things are...its not too bad.

with match...sure there is day you find out and all...

but non-rolling schools seem to have a day when their final decisions are made and send out their mass acceptances.

lots of people get accepted early on during the application process and prolly would have drove them mad to wait so long for a match result like the texas peoples counting down to feb 1...when other schools let students know even back in october.

the uncertainty of finding something in the mail is also kinda exciting as well.

and just incase i didnt match...that would just crush me...no hope like i have with other schools that are slower and that i could possibly lobby to throw a bone my way...

but thats just my sick and twisted view on the matter.

Without a Match system, you can still pick and choose, go back for second look weekends, etc., before making a final decision. In a match system, you'll probably have to make the decision earlier.

Also, by already knowing some decisions, you can cross out your top choices that reject you, and write letters of interest to the ones next on your list. In a match system, it'll be rather unethical to write letters of interests to ALL the places you interviewed at.