Changes to the MCCQE2 Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentBoardReview

Reaction score
As many know, since the MCCQE2 format changed in 2018, the pass rates have been much lower than in previous years. Part of this has to do with the fact that there has been a much greater emphasis on counselling, communications and ethics, whereas the previous exams focused much more heavily on medical expert topics.

The MCC now has stations where you're expected to do things like: address issues with colleagues, confront an angry patient, or learn to disclose a mistake.

While these issues seem more grey, there are available resources to address these stations in an effective manner.

Resident Board Review has a number of compiled external resources on the website to help you prepare. However, many existing online resources were based on the old exam.

The upcoming 2 day in person course is on April 4 & 5, 2020 at Toronto General Hospital and will cover concrete strategies and phrases and integrate the counselling sections into medical expert topics. Attendees receive the course manual, inclusive of a number of exclusive cases for participants to practice these counselling stations.

If you're interested in the course or the resources, go to the website: residentboardreview [dot] com.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone used this review course and can provide an opinion on this?

Has anyone used this review course and can provide an opinion on this?

I know a few friends who tried this out and said their bi-weekly interactive case sessions were helpful. It’s like a small virtual environment and they have a SP and pick 1 student to practice, and runs this multiple times in different breakout rooms. They got good feedback from the SP, other group members, as well as examiners who are Canadian physicians.

They also mentioned this company did a virtual mock OSCE which I think they have planned coming up for January? Aside from what my friends say, I would say perhaps visit their website and even subscribe to their external resources link (I see a tab on their website) and see if it’s helpful for you.