Changes To Virginia Consortium Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is really too bad! The VA Consortium is a wonderful program and is definitely on the top of my list. Hopefully they will be able to pull together the resources to continue their program! Also - I don't understand why the provost was against turning it into a PhD program. Wouldn't a PhD program ultimately cost them less because of the grants they'd receive for research?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang...that stinks. VCPCP was on my list of schools I applied to.

This isn't my main concern about the entire situation but, um...am I going to get my application fee back? :p

Dang...that stinks. VCPCP was on my list of schools I applied to.

This isn't my main concern about the entire situation but, um...am I going to get my application fee back? :p

That's actually a good question. I remember last year someone applied to and interviewed at a school only to find out that they didn't accept a single person! This seems like the exact same thing. They take your money, and cancel the program.

That's actually a good question. I remember last year someone applied to and interviewed at a school only to find out that they didn't accept a single person!

Was the program shutting down, or did thery just decide not to take anyone for a year?

Weirdly, this change/announcement/closure isn't on VCC's website at all.

I was particularly disturbed by the statement in the news report that the Psy.D. was a degree that was increasingly being devalued and that the school thought that the proposed but never implemented Ph.D. was superior. The mind reels ...

This really is such a shame, a Ph.d program would be terrific there. Everyone will be missing out on such amazing faculty such as Dr. Zeman. Although I cannot say I am surprised due to the recent changes in administration, etc. I hope they will get their act together quickly, all the recent abrupt decisions are making me a little ashamed to call myself an alum.

Wait a sec, guys. It doesn't actually say the program as a whole is being discontinued. All that the article states is that W&Ms is pulling out and that the remaining schools have been considering a change to a Ph.D. While one school pulling out could bring the program down, it may also simply change the program. I would expect the program website to reflect a change in program status -- esp. if the program is planning on closing its doors entirely.

Wait a sec, guys. It doesn't actually say the program as a whole is being discontinued. All that the article states is that W&Ms is pulling out and that the remaining schools have been considering a change to a Ph.D. While one school pulling out could bring the program down, it may also simply change the program. I would expect the program website to reflect a change in program status -- esp. if the program is planning on closing its doors entirely.

I thought the same thing.

I thought the same thing.

Right - the program isn't being shut down now. I just received an e-mail from them saying they received my application and would contact me in early February if they were interested in an interview.

Below is the email I received today going over the changes to the VA Consortium. I have to say that the "maybe" switch to the PhD isn't reassuring... and honestly I'm unsure if I want to retract my application. Does anyone have any insight as to what this REALLY means? I just feel that there really isn't any security in the program any more.

Dear Virginia Consortium Program Applicant:
Thank you for considering the Virginia Consortium for your graduate training in clinical psychology. The Admissions Committee is currently reviewing applications and we expect to extend invitations for interviews around the 2nd week in February. We are writing now to inform you of significant upcoming changes to our program of which you should be aware.

Starting in fall 2009, the College of William and Mary will begin to withdraw as a member of the Consortium; this is a four-year structured process that will conclude in 2013. Graduates of the entering class of 2009 will receive the Psy.D. degree from all four schools; however, this will be the Virginia Consortium’s last Psy.D. class. Our 3-year + internship Psy.D. program will segue into a 4-year + internship Ph.D. program in fall 2010, pending approval by the State Council of Higher Education and the American Psychological Association. We are planning to accept six or seven students for fall 2009. The students entering the Consortium in 2009 may be given the opportunity to transition to the Ph.D. degree curriculum if interested, and eligible. It is important to note that students entering in fall 2009 can be assured that the Psy.D. curriculum and opportunities, currently accredited by the American Psychological Association, will be available.

We understand this is important information to consider in several respects and expect that you may have questions about our transition. We will provide a forum for questions during our two interviewing days, February 27 and March 2. We sincerely hope that you will continue to prepare to interview if invited and keep these dates open until our Committee completes its review and you learn of its decision. If you should decide to withdraw your application at any point, please notify me at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Robin J. Lewis, Ph.D.
Chair; Director-Old Dominion University

Below is the email I received today going over the changes to the VA Consortium. I have to say that the "maybe" switch to the PhD isn't reassuring... and honestly I'm unsure if I want to retract my application. Does anyone have any insight as to what this REALLY means? I just feel that there really isn't any security in the program any more.

Dear Virginia Consortium Program Applicant:
Thank you for considering the Virginia Consortium for your graduate training in clinical psychology. The Admissions Committee is currently reviewing applications and we expect to extend invitations for interviews around the 2nd week in February. We are writing now to inform you of significant upcoming changes to our program of which you should be aware.

Starting in fall 2009, the College of William and Mary will begin to withdraw as a member of the Consortium; this is a four-year structured process that will conclude in 2013. Graduates of the entering class of 2009 will receive the Psy.D. degree from all four schools; however, this will be the Virginia Consortium’s last Psy.D. class. Our 3-year + internship Psy.D. program will segue into a 4-year + internship Ph.D. program in fall 2010, pending approval by the State Council of Higher Education and the American Psychological Association. We are planning to accept six or seven students for fall 2009. The students entering the Consortium in 2009 may be given the opportunity to transition to the Ph.D. degree curriculum if interested, and eligible. It is important to note that students entering in fall 2009 can be assured that the Psy.D. curriculum and opportunities, currently accredited by the American Psychological Association, will be available.

We understand this is important information to consider in several respects and expect that you may have questions about our transition. We will provide a forum for questions during our two interviewing days, February 27 and March 2. We sincerely hope that you will continue to prepare to interview if invited and keep these dates open until our Committee completes its review and you learn of its decision. If you should decide to withdraw your application at any point, please notify me at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Robin J. Lewis, Ph.D.
Chair; Director-Old Dominion University

Just wondering if you received this email out of the blue or if it was in reponse to an email you sent asking about the program? I ask because, while I did get a confirmation email that my application was complete and being reviewed, I did not receive this email...just wondering what that means!!!!!

Just wondering if you received this email out of the blue or if it was in reponse to an email you sent asking about the program? I ask because, while I did get a confirmation email that my application was complete and being reviewed, I did not receive this email...just wondering what that means!!!!!

It was out of the blue.

I received that email too. I'm unsure what it means. As I interpret it, if admitted this year you would get a regular PsyD from them, but also have the option to maybe change to Ph.D. Am I right?

More just wondering if not receiving that email means I'm not even really being considered...that sucks.

Does anyone know how APA accreditation will work for the new PhD program, since it's kind of an existing program.

More just wondering if not receiving that email means I'm not even really being considered...that sucks.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get it either, so you're not alone. :shrug:

Does anyone know how APA accreditation will work for the new PhD program, since it's kind of an existing program.

From what I can tell, it depends on whether or not the PhD program will be considered a new or continuing program. If the PhD program is considered a continuation of the PsyD program (minor curriculum and resource changes), accreditation can be renewed pretty quickly.

If it is considered a new program, however, it looks like it may take a while before it is accredited. New programs have to have students at every level of matriculation (including internship) before they can submit their self study to APA and get the process started. So once someone from the first PhD class goes on internship, the program can start the application process for accreditation. The unfortunate news here is that those first people who go on internship will probably not graduate from an accredited program.

Here's the APA accreditation website for more info:
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/

same here :confused:

ME EITHER!!!!

:(

This really changes whether or not I want to go to this school - I feel like they should send my application fee back. I spent a lot of time (and money!) applying to schools, and I probably wouldn't have applied there if I had known this!

ME EITHER!!!!

:(

This really changes whether or not I want to go to this school - I feel like they should send my application fee back. I spent a lot of time (and money!) applying to schools, and I probably wouldn't have applied there if I had known this!

Well, interview invites went out today (they were individually addressed, though, so it's possible some will go out tomorrow or Wednesday), so you'll find out soon if not already!

As far as sending it out earlier, I agree that it would have been nice; however, the letter indicates the change will have little effect on 2009's entering students as we would be the final Psy.D. class and/or have the option of becoming the program's first Ph.D. class once there.