Changing Extracurriculars: Does that look bad to Adcoms?

Started by izzybelle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

izzybelle

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone!

I did more than 40 hours of volunteering at a local hospital near my university. I liked volunteering at the post anesthetic care unit, but I feel like I want to do a position that involves more interaction with people. I'm also really interested in working with children. I want to start volunteering at the children's hospital this fall, but then that would mean not volunteering at the old hospital. Do you think this change will look like a lack of commitment to the admissions committee? Let me know! I was also going to do big brothers, big sisters on the side.
 
I would hope not. I changed a few times because I like experiencing different parts of the hospital instead of being bogged down in one spot for the whole year.
 
A little I think will not get you in trouble. If the program asked for a minimum commitment, stick it out for that. I had a hospital volunteer gig that I felt really wasn't making good use of my skills (nor did it actually seem like it was particularly useful to anyone on the floor), but I stayed for the 6 months that was laid out as the commitment when I applied. Make sure you do have activities that you stick with for a while though - I have been at a free clinic for over 2 years and I think that is a really important part of my app.