Changing Extracurriculars: Does that look bad to Adcoms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzybelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I did more than 40 hours of volunteering at a local hospital near my university. I liked volunteering at the post anesthetic care unit, but I feel like I want to do a position that involves more interaction with people. I'm also really interested in working with children. I want to start volunteering at the children's hospital this fall, but then that would mean not volunteering at the old hospital. Do you think this change will look like a lack of commitment to the admissions committee? Let me know! I was also going to do big brothers, big sisters on the side.

Members don't see this ad.

I would hope not. I changed a few times because I like experiencing different parts of the hospital instead of being bogged down in one spot for the whole year.

A little I think will not get you in trouble. If the program asked for a minimum commitment, stick it out for that. I had a hospital volunteer gig that I felt really wasn't making good use of my skills (nor did it actually seem like it was particularly useful to anyone on the floor), but I stayed for the 6 months that was laid out as the commitment when I applied. Make sure you do have activities that you stick with for a while though - I have been at a free clinic for over 2 years and I think that is a really important part of my app.

It only looks bad if it shows a pattern of non-commitment. For example, only being able to stick with something for a few months before you're on to the next thing.