Changing fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering changing residencies. I'm currently in a 3 year osteopathic primary care residency and I am considering switching into a 4 year psychiatry program. I would like to know how to go about this, from someone who has done it. Is there a web site that publishes rules on this subject? Is it best to go through ERAS?

Please let me know whether it's best I let the residency director know now or if it's better to wait until after the match. Also, what are some of the issues I would face? For example, I am aware of the problem with medicare funding, and switching into a shorter program. How big of a problem is this? Is it not a problem for me since this first year will count for my osteopathic internship year requirement? Are there any additional issues?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you an intern or a 3rd year resident?
If you are an intern and want to switch to psychiatry, you have no choice but to tell your PD. You need to have a letter of rec from your program PD, that is the only way a Psych residency will consider interviewing you. you also need your PD on your side (time off from intern year so you can interview)
Since you are not a fourth year medical student anymore, you can directly contact a program. You can go to Freida website and email psych residencies if they have a PGY2 year available. That means you don't have to go through the match again. Funding is going to be a very minor issue if the psych program really likes you. I know people who completed a residency and then started other residencies. The most difficult thing for you will be convincing Psych programs that you are not running away from any problems and that you are geniunely interested in psych. Once again if your PD writes a letter stating that you are an excellent resident ...... That will help you alot. Good luck.