changing my mind...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. i need some good advice:

i had thought that my decision to apply to md/phd programs was pretty secure. unfortunately, during this (incredibly lengthy) admissions process i have come to realize that i would feel much more comfortable/happy in a straight MD program (reasons for which i can discuss later if you want). so, here i am in the middle of interview season (3 down and 5 to go) in quite a predicament. i see my options as this:

1. tell the schools now
2. tell the schools after i have received a decision from them
3. go ahead with a program that i feel wishy-washy about

all of these options have some serious consequences for me, other applicants, and the schools involved. if i come clean right now i risk pushing my interviews into march, looking like i have no real direction, and trying to get into an md program with a VERY research-focused application. if i go with #3, i would hate myself for taking up a spot in a program that i don't intend to complete. looks like #2 is the is best of the worst.

so, my questions for you are: would you do the same in my shoes? what do you think the responses of the schools will be? will they think that i used them to save on interview expenses? most importantly, if i am accepted into a mstp program are they required to grant me med school admission (i know that this probably varies from school to school)?

thanks ahead for any advice you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, it's good that you've realized this now rather than later. I would go with what you said; wait to tell the schools that accept you. If the MD/PhD and MD committees are separate there's no problem. Also, if the MD committee had to decide on you first, you shouldn't have a problem just dropping the MD/PhD decision and going with the MD committee. Otherwise, if the MD/PhD program decides first and the MD committee has no say unless they reject you, you just have to hope the program will be alright with your decision. Maybe they will just take you MD at that point, or maybe they'll kick you to the MD committee with no hard feelings.

As for them thinking you scammed them... Well, that may be in the back of their minds. You should just be honest and sincere and that's the best you could do. Some students use them up till year one or two before dropping the MD/PhD and then the program has foot the bill for them for a year or two. They don't owe the money back at any MSTP.

I think that once you have been accepted by a program you sort of enter their fold. At this point they will help you in any way they can. If you let all the schools know before they make a decision on you, you will probably look like you lack conviction/direction, and this will look unfavorably on you. If you did this I think that you would still have a chance, but I think your chances are better with the waiting route.

Good luck!

I agree with what Neuronix said. Your best option is to wait until the schools make their decision and then tell the schools.

Although I'm not a fan of anecdotal evidence, let me share something. At my WashU interview, I actually met an MSTP2 who did what you essentially described. See, as Neuronix correctly states, the decision and process of acceptance depends on the school: sometimes it's the MSTP committee only (with a rubber stamp from the MD cmte), sometimes it's both independently parallel, and sometimes it's MD first, MSTP second. But one thing is universal: in order for a school to offer you acceptance in their MD/PhD program, you have to be admitted to both their medical school and their graduate school. And as far as I know, it is then up to you what and if you accept. And, yes, the schools take a gamble. But most of them would rather know early on, than after several years (very common). By giving you an offer, they are stating you are clearly qualified to be both in their medical and in their graduate school. If you then come out and say that you only wish to accept the medical school offer, and of course, pay for it, I don't think there's anything the school can do. But, back to my WashU story, this guy got into their MSTP and then got cold feet just before starting. He told them, and argumented his reasons well, and asked to simply start as a med student. The funny thing is, and also the reason I got to hear the story in the first place, is that he changed his mind during his first year, after all. He then again approached them, and simply transfered back into the program. I actually asked him in detail, and he made it clear that he did not have to reapply or anything. Of course, he did end up paying for that first year.
Now do keep in mind that WashU has a reputation of having one of the best organized, well funded and flexible programs out there, so I can only speak of what I heard in that particular situation. I cannot tell you anything about other programs, although I suspect they would be the same (really, the more far fetched thing in the story is the option of going back into the MSTP program, but that shouldn't matter in your case).

So, now, please allow me to ask the obvious question, more out of curiosity than anything else. Why?

Good luck, no matter what you end up deciding.

At Einstein, if you change your mind during the application cycle, your file will be refiled with the MD only committee, EVEN AFTER YOU INTERVIEWED WITH MSTP, and you are not necessarily gauranteed an interview for MD. That kind of policy makes me think that they would not take to kindly to someone getting in MSTP and then deciding to go MD, if many people did that then it would screw up the admissions process for both MD and MSTP, hence it is discouraged. But that's them, I don't know how it works at other schools.