changing my objectives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

the big easy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I originally thought that combining my business interests with my psychology major (i.e., gearing toward i/o psych) would set me up for happiness in life. As I got older, I realized that I want to be a therapist/work in a hospital and help people with mental disorders.

Unfortunately for me (as I turn in my Clinical Psych Ph.D./Psy.D. applications), my experiences peg me as someone who clearly has organizational psychology interests, not clinical. I worked in an I/O psych lab and I have worked in business consulting since I graduated. I don't believe these interests are mutually exclusive, but I am very much interested and committed to pursing a line of study and a career in learning about mood disorders.

Do I have a shot at getting in, or am I going to need to gain more research and clinical experience? Should I be applying to a lot of masters programs to gain this experience? Obviously, this is something I should discuss in my personal statement... but I don't know if that "ah hah" moment really exists (if I try to pinpoint it, it may come out as contrived anyway).

Any advice? Thank you!
 
I think you have a decent shot at a number of Psyd programs, and maybe some of the more balanced Phd programs as well. Assuming you have done some research, I doubt that the fact it's in I/O is a huge problem. The main thing is to express clearly how your current goal of pursuing clinical psych is part of an overall evolution in your development (as opposed to a random change in course). I don't think you need to describe a pivotal "ah hah" moment. I didn't when I applied after years of being an attorney.😉 One challenge (in addition to the GPA and GRE) may be getting outstanding recommendations. If you've been out a while, you may not know where to start.(In my case, I had to go back and do what amounted to a post-bacc in order to have the psych pre-reqs to apply, so I had recent profs who could vouch for me.)

Good luck.
 
While not being in exactly the same situation, I had a very strong work/research history in psychophysical research (mainly with vision), and I applied to, and got in to, a PhD program in Social Psych.

I think your research background will still be more of a help than a hindrance. Not everyone knows they want to go into clinical right off the bat. Plus, you knew you didn't want to go into I/O after testing it out first. It shows you're not impulsive.

Getting some clinical-type experience would probably help you, though. It provides the ideal counter-point. You tried I/O, it wasn't for you. You tried clinical, it is for you, and that's why you're pursuing a doctorate. Not saying you can't get in without it, but it certainly can't hurt.

Good luck!