Changing Name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

neurotic_cow

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I realize this may be slightly off topic for this forum, but I don't know any other psychologists that have experience with this. I’m considering changing my last name after I get married next May and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with that process. Any tips or timelines to be aware of? Is it a total nightmare? For reference, I work as a licensed (and board certified) psychologist in a large healthcare system. Thanks in advance.
 
I changed my name early on in post-doc. I think when I applied for licensure and to take the EPPP later that year I may have needed to provide a copy of my marriage certificate since my degree was conferred under my maiden name. I still publish under my maiden name so I include it in parentheses on my CV.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I changed my name back to my maiden name 5 years after I divorced lol. Here's why I waited so long:
1. My doctorate degree and psychology license were under my married name
2. I was paneled with several insurances under the married name
3. I had publications under my married name.

I was worried that changing my name back would interrupt reimbursement from insurers. Not sure if that was a real fear, seeing as my salary stays the same and the university/healthcare system is the one dealing with that issue.

The process was a pain. Once I got my social security card and driver's license updated, I had to send in copies to the psychology board to get my license changed. After that, our onboarding office had me fill out updated paperwork with every insurer. I also had to get things updated in our EHR and website/email system.

Women change their last name often, so large healthcare systems are used to updating it. Just be prepared for lots of paperwork.
 
I changed mine before I got licensed, but it wasn't too bad. I did have some publications under my maiden name, so I just bolded my name(s) in the references on my CV.
I changed my name after I got licensed, but it wasn't so bad. I did the same thing with bolding my maiden name on CV pubs. I moved my maiden name to my middle name, so when I really want to, I can use both. Except both my maiden name and married name are long and hard to pronounce, so I don't do that often! My degrees have my maiden name on them, which is a bummer. Some of the time I wish I hadn't changed it, but I like having the same last name as my child.