Changing some schools from MSTP to MD designation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i_dont_understand

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having some doubts about the PhD, and I think the best choice at this point might be to apply as an MD only and consider internal admissions later on. I have designated MD/PhD on AMCAS. Anyone have any suggestions regarding how to proceed? I have written secondaries but have not submitted any of them.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about the process of changing designations at this point. My guess would be that it would have to be on a school-by-school basis, but I think you should really thing hard about making this decision. One thing to consider is that you'd most likely be paying tuition + no stipend for the first two years of the program which would not be retroactively given to you. Tack on 4-5 years of additional interest during your PhD years if you were to take out loans, and it becomes a very expensive route.

You can redesignate on AMCAS. Do that and email the admissions at each school you do it at. I did this with a couple of schools.