Changing state of residence on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ese2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my parents moved to Texas from Illinois last year, but because of issues with my father's job and other paperwork things, I realized that I may not be considered a Texas resident. TMDSAS is currently making that decision but I don't know how long that will take.

Question is, what do I tell AMCAS? I already said I was a Texas resident there. By definition of the state I'm a resident of Texas, but through TMDSAS, I may not be. Am I an Illinois resident even though my parents moved? I would hate to face the bias against Texas residents by AMCAS if I'm not even considered in-state through TMDSAS lmfao. That sounds like the worst of two worlds. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of resident? Do you have a drivers license? What state does it say on it?

Are you currently in college? Working? There's usually some way to determine your legal state of residency and you should go with that. I'm not familiar with TMDSAS and whether or not it considers you a Texas resident if your parents are, but if you're over the age of 18 and you don't live in the state your family does, unless you make all the changes (i.e. changing your drivers license, getting bills sent to an address in that state), your residency doesn't change automatically.

So my parents moved to Texas from Illinois last year, but because of issues with my father's job and other paperwork things, I realized that I may not be considered a Texas resident. TMDSAS is currently making that decision but I don't know how long that will take.

Question is, what do I tell AMCAS? I already said I was a Texas resident there. By definition of the state I'm a resident of Texas, but through TMDSAS, I may not be. Am I an Illinois resident even though my parents moved? I would hate to face the bias against Texas residents by AMCAS if I'm not even considered in-state through TMDSAS lmfao. That sounds like the worst of two worlds. Any advice is appreciated.
TMDSAS usually makes the residency ruling pretty quickly, so check your portal to see what they decide..
In general by their guidelines, you would need to have lived in Texas for 1 year by Nov 1, 2022 to be considered a TX resident for this app cycle.
AMCAS rules may differ?

Reactions: 1 user

This just isn't practical, even though the end result might be you ending up getting screwed due to TMDSAS rules. You simply cannot be a resident of IL just because your parents used to live there. You don't live there now, so are not a resident, even though TX won't give you an IS preference.

This absolutely IS the worst of all worlds. The only saving grace is that even OOS tuition in TX is still lower than most other schools, and you sound like a perfect candidate to be one of the 10% of "OOS" candidates to be successful there, since your ties to the state are strong and obvious.

Your alternative would be to pull your application and wait a year until you meet the requirements to be considered IS in TX. Good luck!!!