Chapman University School of Pharmacy Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arsenal9890

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I will have interview with CUSP on Friday 1/29.
has anyone here been interviewed with Chapman University?
Any suggestion and advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

What GPA PCAT? U CA resident? I kinda want go here cause it in CA but tuition is unreasonable expensive

What GPA PCAT? U CA resident? I kinda want go here cause it in CA but tuition is unreasonable expensive
Hi, CA schools are madly expensive - I am CA resident, and as long as this school is close to my house, so I don't have to worry about other expenses on housing or food

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are paying this much for tuition, you might as well go to a school that is taken seriously, not despised my masses, has established rotations, etc

Reactions: 4 users
All they really want to know is your ability to pay the $50k/year tuition, whether through loans or out of pocket.

Reactions: 1 user
All they really want to know is your ability to pay the $50k/year tuition, whether through loans or out of pocket.
how do u know this? i have a feeling they open school for money but dont know how. tuition is unreasonable.

Hi
Thank you
I interviewed at Chapman back in early December. The process was super chill: a campus tour, a group activity, and 2 25-min interviews, NO WRITING ASSIGNMENT. I do recommend to prepare some general interview questions beforehand, eg. tell me about yourself, why pharm, why chapman, your challenging classes, what classes you like and why, etc. Almost keep in mind that, this is a new school (pharmacy) so THEY WANT YOU THERE. I agree with other people in this thread. Since the school is new, there is limited number of rotation sites, alumni networking is essential none. Chapman is only 25 min drive from my home but I decided to turn down the admission offer for those reasons. I recommend looking into other schools for better support after graduation. Finding a job in a saturated area (like SoCal) is extremely hard, and that's why networking is so important. That's just something to keep in mind. Otherwise, good luck with the interview!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at Chapman back in early December. The process was super chill: a campus tour, a group activity, and 2 25-min interviews, NO WRITING ASSIGNMENT. I do recommend to prepare some general interview questions beforehand, eg. tell me about yourself, why pharm, why chapman, your challenging classes, what classes you like and why, etc. Almost keep in mind that, this is a new school (pharmacy) so THEY WANT YOU THERE. I agree with other people in this thread. Since the school is new, there is limited number of rotation sites, alumni networking is essential none. Chapman is only 25 min drive from my home but I decided to turn down the admission offer for those reasons. I recommend looking into other schools for better support after graduation. Finding a job in a saturated area (like SoCal) is extremely hard, and that's why networking is so important. That's just something to keep in mind. Otherwise, good luck with the interview!
thank you very much

alumni network what that? why imp?

how do u know this? i have a feeling they open school for money but dont know how. tuition is unreasonable.

I'm curious to know why the Chapman tuition is perceived as being unreasonable. Our tuition is in the same range as the other private schools in California. The public schools are a little cheaper, but they get state support that private schools don't get. Plus, we don't have any additional fees, you get an iPad and a MacBook, and almost all of your textbooks are provided for you free of charge.

And to your point, we didn't open the school for money. We opened the school so that Chapman University could move into the Health Sciences area, and more Californian students could stay in California for pharmacy school rather than having to go out of state and then come back to California to work. Hundreds of California students have to go out of state for school because their aren't enough seats in California.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that you decided to go elsewhere, but I do want to clarify a few things. First off, we have plenty of rotation sites for our students. Both IPPE and APPE.

And as for the alumni network, it is true that we don't have pharmacy alumni yet. But if you are an excellent pharmacist, the network isn't going to matter that much. Very few pharmacy managers are going to hire a less qualified applicant just because they graduated from the same school. Secondly, pharmacy is a small world, and you can get the same level of networking by just being involved in the state pharmacy association. Also, most students get their first pharmacy job due to having worked for the company as an Intern Pharmacist during pharmacy school. Others get their first job based on the great work they put in during an APPE rotation.

Lastly, being a member of a pharmacy Fraternity will give you access to the largest alumni network. It is much larger than the network from one school and it reaches Nationally.

But again, no size of network is going to help you if you are a lousy pharmacist. So make sure to do well in school and during your rotations.

If you are paying this much for tuition, you might as well go to a school that is taken seriously, not despised my masses, has established rotations, etc

I need to push back on what you said a little bit. Chapman is not despised by the masses. If you could provide some proof to back up your statement, that would be appreciated.

Within pharmacy, Chapman has the best and quickest growing positive reputation of any new school that has come around. Even the pharmacy accreditation agency has praised us for the program we have put together. The only complaint we hear is about whether we need another new school of pharmacy. And to that question, we say yes, because we are providing opportunities for California students to stay here and go to school, rather than having to go out of state and then move back to Cali to get a job. And even to the complaint people have about a new school dumping even more pharmacists into the California job market, that just isn't true. About 90% of our students who have either gone to another California school or would have gone out of state and then returned to California to get a job after graduating. So the only net additional pharmacist we might put into the market are the out of state students in our program who might decide to stay in California to work. So at most you are talking about an additional 10 pharmacists a year.

And we have more than enough IPPE and APPE rotations for our students. We are the first pharmacy school in Orange County, and few other schools even use most of Orange County for rotations.

When are you going to stop lying to these students?

First your Dean said there is a need for another pharmacy school because Chapman will be training the new generation of pharmacists for jobs that will be here but not here yet.

He also said there is a need because there is no pharmacy school in Orange County although there is 6 pharmacy schools within 50 miles of Chapman.

Then you and your Dean said you guys opened another pharmacy school because the ADI shows there is a shortage of pharmacist? Why are you not using that number now?

Now the argument is.....you are helping pharmacy students to stay in California? By opening a school whether it is in California or New York, you are increasing the unneeded supply of pharmacists. California students who can't get into an out of state pharmacy school will now have the opportunity to. They will eventually return to California. Get it?

Tell us again why is your class size 80 students when you repeatedly said it will be only 60 students? Tuition money doesn't have anything to do with it right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to push back on what you said a little bit. Chapman is not despised by the masses. If you could provide some proof to back up your statement, that would be appreciated.

Within pharmacy, Chapman has the best and quickest growing positive reputation of any new school that has come around. Even the pharmacy accreditation agency has praised us for the program we have put together. The only complaint we hear is about whether we need another new school of pharmacy. And to that question, we say yes, because we are providing opportunities for California students to stay here and go to school, rather than having to go out of state and then move back to Cali to get a job. And even to the complaint people have about a new school dumping even more pharmacists into the California job market, that just isn't true. About 90% of our students who have either gone to another California school or would have gone out of state and then returned to California to get a job after graduating. So the only net additional pharmacist we might put into the market are the out of state students in our program who might decide to stay in California to work. So at most you are talking about an additional 10 pharmacists a year.

And we have more than enough IPPE and APPE rotations for our students. We are the first pharmacy school in Orange County, and few other schools even use most of Orange County for rotations.

I see that you changed your tone and your "stories". You can spin and twist the need for another pharmacy school in CA, I am not going to argue with you.

Just wondering how do you respond to and argue knowing that:

1. The new BLS report states that the pharmacy job growth is projected to be slower than average compared to other professions. Projected to be less than 3 percent over the next 10 years .
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacists.htm

2. Pharmacy Time magazine published that the demand for pharmacists plunged to all time low in the last 10 years.

3. Drugtopics magazine states that number of grads outnumber job openings.
http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...t-should-be-done-about-oversupply-pharmacists

yeah seems like we definitely need to increase the supply and more new schools! Said no pharmacist, ever.........

Last edited:
I'm curious to know why the Chapman tuition is perceived as being unreasonable. Our tuition is in the same range as the other private schools in California. The public schools are a little cheaper, but they get state support that private schools don't get. Plus, we don't have any additional fees, you get an iPad and a MacBook, and almost all of your textbooks are provided for you free of charge.

And to your point, we didn't open the school for money. We opened the school so that Chapman University could move into the Health Sciences area, and more Californian students could stay in California for pharmacy school rather than having to go out of state and then come back to California to work. Hundreds of California students have to go out of state for school because their aren't enough seats in California.

Just because other California pharmacy schools are charging them an arm and a leg for tuition, does not mean you also have the right to put them in that kind of debt. It doesn't make any sense why someone would pay that much on tuition for a pharmacy education. The expected income doesn't justify it. After taxes and everything, your pharmacist take home salary is just 75 k a year. If you need to pay $5 k a month for the next 10 years for your student loans, you will have nothing much for living cost. How are you going to save up for a house?

This fool is going to tell you to get on PAYE/IBR. He is going to tell you to pay off your loans for the next 20-25 years. Do you know what is that going to do? You are going to pay a grip more interest and it is going to cost you even more money. He doesn't care. He already got your money.

Tell me something...how much is your salary from Chapman is for your work as an associated Dean and how much of it is from actual pharmacist work?

Also tell us how much money is Chapman faculty getting from pharmacist clinical work? The work that you and your Dean said is coming soon?

I bet most if not all of your income is coming from students' tuition. Why don't you get out there and do some real pharmacist work, rather than sell them on this fantasy?

Just because other California pharmacy schools are charging them an arm and a leg for tuition, does not mean you also have the right to put them in that kind of debt. It doesn't make any sense why someone would pay that much on tuition for a pharmacy education. The expected income doesn't justify it. After taxes and everything, your pharmacist take home salary is just 75 k a year. If you need to pay $5 k a month for the next 10 years for your student loans, you will have nothing much for living cost. How are you going to save up for a house?

This fool is going to tell you to get on PAYE/IBR. He is going to tell you to pay off your loans for the next 20-25 years. Do you know what is that going to do? You are going to pay a grip more interest and it is going to cost you even more money. He doesn't care. He already got your money.

Tell me something...how much is your salary from Chapman is for your work as an associated Dean and how much of it is from actual pharmacist work?

Also tell us how much money is Chapman faculty getting from pharmacist clinical work? The work that you and your Dean said is coming soon?

I bet most if not all of your income is coming from students' tuition. Why don't you get out there and do some real pharmacist work, rather than sell them on this fantasy?

BMBiology, you really are doing a disservice to students with all of your misinformation. You are making the best conclusions you can, but you are doing so with incomplete information.

It takes a lot of money to train student pharmacists well. Not just salaries, but also the building, lab equipment, classroom technology, and money to keep the place clean, lit, and heated. And the reason private schools cost more money than public schools is because we don't get money from the State to help with our expenses. And although we are a private school, we are not a for-profit school. We are a not-for-profit school. That means the money we bring in goes right back into the school and the university. Chapman University has invested over $60 million dollars getting the pharmacy school started. It's expensive to start a new pharmacy school.

As for pharmacist salaries in California, the average salary is over $120,000 a year, so even after taxes that is more than $75k. I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from. (just google pharmacist salary California)

And yes, most students don't have the money to pay for pharmacy school out of their pocket, so they have to take out loans. I took out loans when I attended pharmacy school, and I have been paying the loans back since then. But my lifetime earnings, will far exceed the amount I have to pay back in loans. Plus I get to spend the rest of my life doing something I really love.

There are so many different career options for someone with a Pharm.D. Degree, besides community or hospital pharmacy. And many of them have opportunities for promotions that would lead to even higher salaries.

As for the position of Associate Dean of Student Affairs, it does not include work as a practicing pharmacist. The practicing pharmacists in academia are the residency trained clinical pharmacists.

As for the clinical pharmacists, two of them are in the team-based care roles that the Dean and I said are coming soon. We don't get income from the work that they do. That's not how academia works. The value the school gets is being able to send our students to those sites for IPPE and APPE rotations and the faculty being able to bring real world experience into the classroom.

As for your last point about me getting out and doing some real work rather than selling students on this fantasy. That's what our clinical faculty are here for. These are all pharmacists who were in practice (as was I) before joining academia, so they are well aware of the realities of pharmacy practice, and their views match my own.

So for clarity, no one is saying there aren't challenges out there in the world of pharmacy. But there have always been challenges. However, when weighing the pro's vs the con's, the pro's outweigh the con's for most pharmacists. To expect every pharmacist to be happy with their decision to become a pharmacist is unrealistic. Just like not every doctor is happy with their decision. There is no way of knowing why they chose to become a pharmacist in the first place. Maybe they didn't do enough research into what being a pharmacist is all about. Also, maybe they are just able to keep things in perspective.

Being a community pharmacist is a tough job. Long hours on your feet, dealing with dispensing pressures, insurance issues, and difficult patients. But I always chose to focus on the good that I was able to do in keeping patients safe and making sure they understood how to take their medications correctly.

Maybe it is time that you ask yourself why are you on such a crusade to keep students from going into pharmacy. Why do you feel that it is your job to criticize those who have a positive view of the value of being a pharmacist? Just because pharmacy isn't the best career option for you, doesn't mean that it isn't for other people. Based on your constant use of name calling and attempts to goad me into getting upset, it's obvious that you are not the same as most other students who have the ability to have a differing point of view without being disrespectful.

Students can read what has been said on SDN regarding Chapman and make up their own minds as to whether they want to be a pharmacist, and whether Chapman is the best place for them to be trained as a pharmacist.

But if you think about it, the world is full of people with different views of the world. All you have to do is look at our political parties in the US, or even the various religions we have, to see how much views may differ.

You are always welcome to voice your views about pharmacy and Chapman. But given the fact that Chapman is here to allow Californian students the opportunity to go to pharmacy school in state rather than having to leave the state for school and then come back to California to get a job, it seems that a lot of your comments are missing the mark.

BMBiology, you really are doing a disservice to students with all of your misinformation. You are making the best conclusions you can, but you are doing so with incomplete information.

It takes a lot of money to train student pharmacists well. Not just salaries, but also the building, lab equipment, classroom technology, and money to keep the place clean, lit, and heated. And the reason private schools cost more money than public schools is because we don't get money from the State to help with our expenses. And although we are a private school, we are not a for-profit school. We are a not-for-profit school. That means the money we bring in goes right back into the school and the university. Chapman University has invested over $60 million dollars getting the pharmacy school started. It's expensive to start a new pharmacy school.

As for pharmacist salaries in California, the average salary is over $120,000 a year, so even after taxes that is more than $75k. I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from. (just google pharmacist salary California)

And yes, most students don't have the money to pay for pharmacy school out of their pocket, so they have to take out loans. I took out loans when I attended pharmacy school, and I have been paying the loans back since then. But my lifetime earnings, will far exceed the amount I have to pay back in loans. Plus I get to spend the rest of my life doing something I really love.

There are so many different career options for someone with a Pharm.D. Degree, besides community or hospital pharmacy. And many of them have opportunities for promotions that would lead to even higher salaries.

As for the position of Associate Dean of Student Affairs, it does not include work as a practicing pharmacist. The practicing pharmacists in academia are the residency trained clinical pharmacists.

As for the clinical pharmacists, two of them are in the team-based care roles that the Dean and I said are coming soon. We don't get income from the work that they do. That's not how academia works. The value the school gets is being able to send our students to those sites for IPPE and APPE rotations and the faculty being able to bring real world experience into the classroom.

As for your last point about me getting out and doing some real work rather than selling students on this fantasy. That's what our clinical faculty are here for. These are all pharmacists who were in practice (as was I) before joining academia, so they are well aware of the realities of pharmacy practice, and their views match my own.

So for clarity, no one is saying there aren't challenges out there in the world of pharmacy. But there have always been challenges. However, when weighing the pro's vs the con's, the pro's outweigh the con's for most pharmacists. To expect every pharmacist to be happy with their decision to become a pharmacist is unrealistic. Just like not every doctor is happy with their decision. There is no way of knowing why they chose to become a pharmacist in the first place. Maybe they didn't do enough research into what being a pharmacist is all about. Also, maybe they are just able to keep things in perspective.

Being a community pharmacist is a tough job. Long hours on your feet, dealing with dispensing pressures, insurance issues, and difficult patients. But I always chose to focus on the good that I was able to do in keeping patients safe and making sure they understood how to take their medications correctly.

Maybe it is time that you ask yourself why are you on such a crusade to keep students from going into pharmacy. Why do you feel that it is your job to criticize those who have a positive view of the value of being a pharmacist? Just because pharmacy isn't the best career option for you, doesn't mean that it isn't for other people. Based on your constant use of name calling and attempts to goad me into getting upset, it's obvious that you are not the same as most other students who have the ability to have a differing point of view without being disrespectful.

Students can read what has been said on SDN regarding Chapman and make up their own minds as to whether they want to be a pharmacist, and whether Chapman is the best place for them to be trained as a pharmacist.

But if you think about it, the world is full of people with different views of the world. All you have to do is look at our political parties in the US, or even the various religions we have, to see how much views may differ.

You are always welcome to voice your views about pharmacy and Chapman. But given the fact that Chapman is here to allow Californian students the opportunity to go to pharmacy school in state rather than having to leave the state for school and then come back to California to get a job, it seems that a lot of your comments are missing the mark.

This is what you don't get. You are teaching these students for a career that does not exist outside of academia.

I heard this same crap when I was in school. Twenty years ago, it was "pharmaceutical care", then it became "patient care". "MTM" was the buzz word when I was in school. Now the buzz word is "provider status". Same crap. Same result. The difference? My tuition was much less then.

Pharmacists don't get reimburse for clinical services. That is why you and your follow faculty don't make anything from the clinical services you guys provide. You guys are just volunteer. Do you think med school professors don't make anything from the surgery they perform? Of course they do. So until then, you need to stop telling potential students about these "emerging" jobs so they would enroll in your school and give you their tuition money.

And yes, pharmacists in California take home income is around 75 k after taxes and everything else like healthcare. Don't trust me? Punch in the numbers yourself ($120 k annual income): http://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/ . We don't get generous retirement and health benefits like you do. We have to fund our 401 k.

I don't care that Chapman is "non profit". The NFL is also a "non profit". I also love how you are throwing the $60M figure around like Chapman has already spent this money on the pharmacy school. Your "campus" is located on a strip mall for God's sake...a block away from a Residence Inn. Google map the "campus" if you don't believe me.

Chapman got into the pharmacy game a little too late. You came to this forum so you can advertise your school. You need students and more importantly, you need their tuition money. But what can I expect from people like you? You don't work as a pharmacist. You need to keep this crap rolling. Your livelihood depends on it.

This is what you don't get. You are teaching these students for a career that does not exist outside of academia.

I heard this same crap when I was in school. Twenty years ago, it was "pharmaceutical care", then it became "patient care". "MTM" was the buzz word when I was in school. Now the buzz word is "provider status". Same crap. Same result. The difference? My tuition was much less then.

Pharmacists don't get reimburse for clinical services. That is why you and your follow faculty don't make anything from the clinical services you guys provide. You guys are just volunteer. Do you think med school professors don't make anything from the surgery they perform? Of course they do. So until then, you need to stop telling potential students about these "emerging" jobs so they would enroll in your school and give you their tuition money.

And yes, pharmacists in California take home income is around 75 k after taxes and everything else like healthcare. Don't trust me? Punch in the numbers yourself ($120 k annual income): http://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/ . We don't get generous retirement and health benefits like you do. We have to fund our 401 k.

I don't care that Chapman is "non profit". The NFL is also a "non profit". I also love how you are throwing the $60M figure around like Chapman has already spent this money on the pharmacy school. Your "campus" is located on a strip mall for God's sake...a block away from a Residence Inn. Google map the "campus" if you don't believe me.

Chapman got into the pharmacy game a little too late. You came to this forum so you can advertise your school. You need students and more importantly, you need their tuition money. But what can I expect from people like you? You don't work as a pharmacist. You need to keep this crap rolling. Your livelihood depends on it.

Pharmacists are getting paid for their clinical services. Whether it is through their salary, through incident-to billing, or fee for service. It is every pharmacist at every pharmacy? No. But pharmacists are getting paid. And if we can get pharmacists added as a provider in the Social Security Act, then that will pave the way for better and wider reimbursement.

As for take home pay, there are lots of companies that do contribute to the 401k and even some like Kaiser Permanente they provide free Health Insurance.

As for Chapman, they have spent $60 million dollars. If you do a Google map search you will see that we are in an Industrial Park area, not a strip mall. Chapman spent millions of dollars to buy the two 2-story building we have. And they spent more millions to gut the classroom building and build it back to our specifications. So yes, Chapman has actually spent $60M.

You are right about one thing. I did come to this forum to let students know about our new School of Pharmacy. My goal was simply to have an avenue to answer questions that students had about the school. But because of all of the attacks and misinformation that has been posted, I felt it necessary to provide counter information so that students aren't taking what people post here as gospel.

And instead of coming into the game too late, we have arrived just in time. Just in time to create pharmacists with excellent communication skills, excellent team skills, excellent patient care skills, and excellent clinical skills. All skills that will make them highly competitive for whatever pharmacy area they go into.

Even though we are a new school of pharmacy, we are not interested in just any type of student. If we were, we wouldn't deny about 70% of students who apply. There are some new schools that fit the image you are trying to apply to Chapman, but Chapman is not one of them.

I invite you to come visit us and see just how different we are.

Ten years ago, pharmacy was golden. Today, pharmacy profession has become a joke. Schools are popping up left and right. The demand /expansion of chain have slowed down. A lot of CVS, Walgreens stores have cut their 24 hours services. Meanwhile, students who blindly don't do their research, end up in 200K+ student loans and have no jobs ahead. Very sad.

I remember when I started pharmacy school in 2000, there was only 5 schools in California. Today, that number is nearly triple (15 schools). What a joke!

Pharmacists are getting paid for their clinical services. Whether it is through their salary, through incident-to billing, or fee for service. It is every pharmacist at every pharmacy? No. But pharmacists are getting paid. And if we can get pharmacists added as a provider in the Social Security Act, then that will pave the way for better and wider reimbursement.

As for take home pay, there are lots of companies that do contribute to the 401k and even some like Kaiser Permanente they provide free Health Insurance.

As for Chapman, they have spent $60 million dollars. If you do a Google map search you will see that we are in an Industrial Park area, not a strip mall. Chapman spent millions of dollars to buy the two 2-story building we have. And they spent more millions to gut the classroom building and build it back to our specifications. So yes, Chapman has actually spent $60M.

You are right about one thing. I did come to this forum to let students know about our new School of Pharmacy. My goal was simply to have an avenue to answer questions that students had about the school. But because of all of the attacks and misinformation that has been posted, I felt it necessary to provide counter information so that students aren't taking what people post here as gospel.

And instead of coming into the game too late, we have arrived just in time. Just in time to create pharmacists with excellent communication skills, excellent team skills, excellent patient care skills, and excellent clinical skills. All skills that will make them highly competitive for whatever pharmacy area they go into.

Even though we are a new school of pharmacy, we are not interested in just any type of student. If we were, we wouldn't deny about 70% of students who apply. There are some new schools that fit the image you are trying to apply to Chapman, but Chapman is not one of them.

I invite you to come visit us and see just how different we are.

When are you going to stop lying to these students?

Your take home salary for a $120 k salary in California is around $75 k. Didn't I provide you with an online calculator? Companies just don't contribute to your 401 k unless you contribute as well. That is why it is called "matching". Health benefit, even at Kaiser, is never free. You still have fees, copayment, etc. When you add all of these things and after taxes, a big portion of your salary is gone.

I also find it incredibly hard to believe Chapman has already spent $60M. Just google the "industrial park". It is across the street from a Chinese church. "Industrial park" my behind.

Let me ask you something about the 30% acceptance rate you keep on throwing around. How many of these applicants actually met the requirements to even apply? In another word, how many of them have taken the PCAT, have taken the required classes, etc.

You are putting Chapman at legal risk by lying and by giving misleading information. Someone can easily send this thread and your other threads to the President of Chapman University.

Reactions: 2 users
If the value proposition for Chapman SoP is now helping California residents stay in California for pharmacy school, despite the existence of UCSF (~100 graduates per class), UCSD (~50), Loma Linda (~75), Touro (~100), Northstate (~100), USC (~175), UoP (~200), and Western (~130), that's a weak proposition.

He repeatedly touted the small class size of 60 students. Guess what? They have 79 students as their inaugural class. That is almost 33% more students. When you virtually accept everyone who interviewed, this is what happened. It is hard to turn down tuition money.

Hello Students, my name is Lawrence "LB" Brown, PharmD, PhD, and I am the Associate Dean of Student & Academic Affairs at Chapman University School of Pharmacy (CUSP). www.chapman.edu/pharmacy

I just wanted to provide some information about our new school that will be accepting applications through PharmCAS on July 14th, 2014, with our first class of 60 students starting in late August 2015.

Although we are part of Chapman University, we are actually located in Irvine, CA rather than on the main campus in Orange. Chapman has created a Health Science Campus at the corner of Alton Pkwy and Jeronimo Rd; just a mile from the Irvine Metrolink station and 3 miles from the Irvine Spectrum Shopping Center.

The Health Science Campus currently will include the School of Pharmacy, and the Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Programs.

Although we will be preparing students to work in traditional areas of pharmacy practice and the pharmaceutical and medical device industries, we are intently focused on preparing our graduates to work in the team-based care environments within medical groups, accountable care organizations, care transition organizations, and patient-centered medical homes. So if working in a team-based care environment where you are able to help patients meet their medication therapy and disease state goals is something that interests you, then Chapman may be the place for you.

You can find out more information about our innovative pharmacy program and our outstanding faculty on our website, www.chapman.edu/pharmacy, or you can email me at [email protected]. I'm here to help.

Reactions: 2 users
BMB,

"You are putting Chapman at legal risk by lying and by giving misleading information. Someone can easily send this thread and your other threads to the President of Chapman University".

I agree with you that schools like Chapman are exploiting students and not being completely honest. But I'm pretty sure he's doing this with the blessing of the President. As far as misleading, in recent news, that law student lost the case when she said, TJU law (i think) misrepresented employment data. It's on the burden of the prepharmers to do their own research. Schools can misrepresent or play with data to lure kids in. Kids can't expect people to always protect them, they need to do their own work and SDN w/posters like you hopefully makes them question or give serious thought to what they're actually doing.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be here on his own, the school wouldn't allow it or would pull him back. The school is okay with him defending the institution. But I can think of other good reasons for schools to patrol SDN (which I have a feeling they do)

Nonprofit means nothing in reality. Church is nonprofit and we know all about them don't we?

How do schools mislead you about their acceptance rate? This is how they do it:

- Rolling admissions: once they hit that magical number, they accept fewer students and put more students on the waiting list.

- send out letters to students especially highly qualified students telling them if they are still interested in the school, they must reply: (1) did not reply: reject; (2) replied: accept if they are highly qualified.

- interview: did not show up (reject obviously)

These are some of the tricks schools use to give you the impression they are highly selective. But in reality, they are not rejecting these students. These students, in one way or another, have rejected the school by not responding to their letter, by not showing up to the interview, by not sending their transcript.

That is why you have to take it with a grain salt when someone tells you their acceptance rate is just 30%. He is giving you the impression that out of 10 people who applied, only 3 got accepted. Acceptance rate doesn't say jack when a school uses all of these tricks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

- Rolling admissions: once they hit that magical number, they accept fewer students and put more students on the waiting list.

- send out letters to students especially highly qualified students telling them if they are still interested in the school, they must reply: (1) did not reply: reject; (2) replied: accept if they are highly qualified.

These are some of the tricks schools use to give you the impression they are highly selective. But in reality, they are not rejecting these students. These students, in one way or another, have rejected the school by not responding to their letter, by not showing up to the interview, by not sending their transcript.

That is why you have to take it with a grain salt when someone tells you their acceptance rate is just 30%. He is giving you the impression that out of 10 people who applied, only 3 got accepted. Acceptance rate doesn't say jack when a school uses all of these tricks.

If future students just sat down for a few days to think about these legitimate points, the downfall of pharmacy would not be so obvious. But nope, that 2.6 GPA biology student is so enamored with wearing a white coat, watching the suspension of amoxicillin, presenting meaningless obesity posters to pedestrians and measuring the BP of a patient with the primitive CUFF. I suggest that students with a 2.6 GPA on the verge of graduating with a bachelor's degree in Biology take an extra trial year of relevant science courses. By getting A's here, other viable options can be considered in the health care professions. If not, there is nothing wrong with diverging from health care.

If the value proposition for Chapman SoP is now helping California residents stay in California for pharmacy school, despite the existence of UCSF (~100 graduates per class), UCSD (~50), Loma Linda (~75), Touro (~100), Northstate (~100), USC (~175), UoP (~200), and Western (~130), that's a weak proposition.

Actually it isn't a weak proposition when you consider the fact that we still have hundreds of qualified California students who have to go to school out of state because there aren't enough seats in California.

Here is another lie. Chapman is not the only pharmacy school in OC. Ketchum University, located in Fullerton, is accepting students starting this fall: http://www.ketchum.edu/index.php/admissions/pharmacy

Actually, Marshall Ketchum does not have pre-candidate status yet. They are hoping that they get pre-candidate status in June so that they can start their program. Getting pre-candidate status is not guaranteed, but they are still allowed to interview and accept students in the hope that they get pre-candidate status. So until Marshall Ketchum get's pre-candidate status, we are the only pharmacy school in Orange County. Once they get pre-candidate status then we will be the First Pharmacy School in Orange County, rather than only.

I hope that clarifies things.

He repeatedly touted the small class size of 60 students. Guess what? They have 79 students as their inaugural class. That is almost 33% more students. When you virtually accept everyone who interviewed, this is what happened. It is hard to turn down tuition money.

I've previously addressed this issue, but will be glad to do so again.

Although our target was 60 students, other schools recommended that we get deposits from an additional 30% because they have experienced a 30% melt of students over the summer. This means that about 30% of their students end up taking other offers over the summer. So if you don't get deposits from more students then you have seats for, then you might end up way under your target number.

We got deposits from 87 students, so that with the 30% melt we would still be around 60 or so students. We had no way of knowing how large or small our melt might be since this was our first year. But instead of losing 30% of deposited students, we only lost 8 students. That's why we ended up with 79. Once a student deposits you can't take away their seat unless their admission was contingent upon them doing something and they didn't do it. (like finish their last pre-req course, or keep their gpa above a certain number)

So that we don't run into the same problem this year, we are going to use a waitlist. That way when we lose a student we can pull a student off our wait list. That way we will stay in the 80 to 90 range that we have set for this year's class. We will still need to a have few more deposited students then our target since their is no guarantee that all of our waitlist students will still be available in late July or August.

I hope that helps.

BMB,

"You are putting Chapman at legal risk by lying and by giving misleading information. Someone can easily send this thread and your other threads to the President of Chapman University".

I agree with you that schools like Chapman are exploiting students and not being completely honest. But I'm pretty sure he's doing this with the blessing of the President. As far as misleading, in recent news, that law student lost the case when she said, TJU law (i think) misrepresented employment data. It's on the burden of the prepharmers to do their own research. Schools can misrepresent or play with data to lure kids in. Kids can't expect people to always protect them, they need to do their own work and SDN w/posters like you hopefully makes them question or give serious thought to what they're actually doing.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be here on his own, the school wouldn't allow it or would pull him back. The school is okay with him defending the institution. But I can think of other good reasons for schools to patrol SDN (which I have a feeling they do)

Nonprofit means nothing in reality. Church is nonprofit and we know all about them don't we?

If I was giving misleading information, then I agree it might put Chapman at risk. But I'm not the one trying to mislead people here.

I'm not sure you understand how universities work if you think the President of the University is spending his time approving me to make comments on SDN. The School of Pharmacy Dean is the person that approves my actions, and he is well aware of the fact that I use my free time to respond to students and to clarify mis-statements by posters to SDN.

But you are right, it is risky for me to come here and post clarifying information. More from the perspective that I have been very open with information about the running of our school, and competing schools can use this information to help them. However, I care enough about the future of the pharmacy profession that I'm willing to take that risk. Most administrators I've talked to from other schools say that they stay away from SDN because of how much time it can eat up, and that the people making the most outrageous comments aren't going to be convinced otherwise.

But one thing you can say is that in spite of all of the rude comments that have been made, and all of the name calling, I have remained professional.

And the other reason I take the time to respond here is because I don't like the haters to be able to have free reign to just say whatever they want, no matter how misinformed or misguided.

I have no way of knowing whether the source of the bitterness here is because a poster was denied admission to one or multiple schools and they want to make themselves feel better by trying to ruin the opportunity for other students.

In fact, I have no way of knowing whether certain posters were denied by Chapman and just have an ax to grind. They might have believed what others were saying about all new schools being easy to get into, and don't want to believe they were not up to our standards.

I also don't know how many posters are pharmacists who are just worried about the competition of new graduates who may be more knowledgeable and harder working then they are.

And I don't know how many posters are pharmacists who are just miserable in their job, feel they made the wrong decision, and want to feel better by discouraging others from going into pharmacy like they did.

I've had my integrity called into question on many occasions, maybe it is time for readers to wonder why it is certain people would devote so many hours of their lives over such a long period of time, just for the sole purpose of discouraging students from going into pharmacy or criticizing new schools.

I do this because I am passionate and positive about the profession of pharmacy and the value we bring to the health care system and to our patients. And I do this because I really care about the next generation of pharmacists; that they are even more prepared and skilled then the last generation.

I do this because I see challenges as opportunities rather than a reason to get mad because everything isn't going my way.

But that's just me. You can blame my perspective on the 6 years I served as an Air Force pharmacy technician. It is there that my love for pharmacy was established.

I get your 2nd and 3rd points, and how if a school used those methods the true acceptance rate would be different. But can you say a little more about the rolling admission one? Or at least say more about this magical number.

If by magical number you mean the target enrollment, or a number near to their target then it is unclear to me how a school could do anything else but start putting students on a waitlist, since you only have so many seats. And you have to have a waitlist to pull from when students take another offer over the summer and withdraw from your program.

Or are you simply saying that schools are being misleading when they treat any student who didn't come off the waitlist as a reject?

I get your 2nd and 3rd points, and how if a school used those methods the true acceptance rate would be different. But can you say a little more about the rolling admission one? Or at least say more about this magical number.

If by magical number you mean the target enrollment, or a number near to their target then it is unclear to me how a school could do anything else but start putting students on a waitlist, since you only have so many seats. And you have to have a waitlist to pull from when students take another offer over the summer and withdraw from your program.

Or are you simply saying that schools are being misleading when they treat any student who didn't come off the waitlist as a reject?

what % of your entering class did not hold a bachelors degree?
What was the mean and median PCAT scores?

If future students just sat down for a few days to think about these legitimate points, the downfall of pharmacy would not be so obvious. But nope, that 2.6 GPA biology student is so enamored with wearing a white coat, watching the suspension of amoxicillin, presenting meaningless obesity posters to pedestrians and measuring the BP of a patient with the primitive CUFF. I suggest that students with a 2.6 GPA on the verge of graduating with a bachelor's degree in Biology take an extra trial year of relevant science courses. By getting A's here, other viable options can be considered in the health care professions. If not, there is nothing wrong with diverging from health care.

I agree with you here that students with a 2.6 GPA should spend the time taking science courses to improve their GPA. I would also suggest they spend the time studying so they can get over the 70th percentile on the PCAT.

Pharmacy school is hard. And although you may really, really, really want to be a pharmacist, it is important that you prepare yourself so that you can not only successfully get through pharmacy school, but so that you can remember enough of what you learned to keep patients safe after you graduate.

ChapmanPharmacy said:
I have no way of knowing whether the source of the bitterness here is because a poster was denied admission to one or multiple schools and they want to make themselves feel better by trying to ruin the opportunity for other students.

In fact, I have no way of knowing whether certain posters were denied by Chapman and just have an ax to grind. They might have believed what others were saying about all new schools being easy to get into, and don't want to believe they were not up to our standards.

I also don't know how many posters are pharmacists who are just worried about the competition of new graduates who may be more knowledgeable and harder working then they are.

And I don't know how many posters are pharmacists who are just miserable in their job, feel they made the wrong decision, and want to feel better by discouraging others from going into pharmacy like they did.

I can't speak for any other "haters" but I'm not miserable in my job. I have, however, seen the way the job market has gone since I became a pharmacist. I have struggled to find employment and watched my friends and former students do the same. I see older pharmacists who were supposed to be retiring in droves decide to stick it out indefinitely due to the lousy economy. I can read the writing on the wall, and it says that now is not a good time to go to pharmacy school.

I am not worried about competition from new grads. Quite frankly, I find the idea that they'd be more knowledgeable than me, a person who has residency, BCPS, and almost 7 years in hospital practice to be laughable.

I'm also not miserable in my job; I really like what I do, especially now that I work for an employer that doesn't suck. :) I've been really lucky, however, and I worry that the opportunities that were available to me when I graduated simply won't be there for younger pharmacists.

You know why I have an ax to grind? New schools that sell pharmacy students a bill of goods, promising them opportunities that just don't - and likely won't - exist. Students fall for the new schools' line of BS and then take out $250K+ in loans that they may never be able to pay back. New schools that take under qualified students and dilute our profession. New schools that quote BS labor statistics to dupe students just to get their money and claim to care about our profession. If you really cared about our profession, you wouldn't sully the public's trust in us by accepting under qualified students who will go on to be sub-par practitioners or by misleading your prospective students about their prospects in pharmacy. If you really cared about our profession, you'd do something to decrease the saturation, not increase it.

As for why I "devote so many hours of my life" to discouraging students from going to pharmacy school, hey, everybody needs a hobby. :) In all seriousness, I care deeply about our profession and I think new schools and job market saturation are the biggest threats to it. And again, the fact that the head of one of the largest pharmacy organizations does not see that is very disturbing to me.

Last edited:

The answer to the first question is anyone's guess. I would say the answer to the second question is a bit more predictable. Realistically, 10-20%.

New schools that take under qualified students and dilute our profession.

I agree with this statement, but had a question pop up in my mind. Pharmacy school is not a walk in the park. Most of the courses are/should be taught at a level higher then your 3000/4000 level science courses. Since there is a good number of under qualified students applying/are getting into pharmacy school, how are they able to pass? or complete the boards? Why are they not filtered out like Caribbean medical schools? Money taken, but not flooding the field.

I agree with this statement, but had a question pop up in my mind. Pharmacy school is not a walk in the park. Most of the courses are/should be taught at a level higher then your 3000/4000 level science courses. Since there is a good number of under qualified students applying/are getting into pharmacy school, how are they able to pass? or complete the boards? Why are they not filtered out like Caribbean medical schools? Money taken, but not flooding the field.

Good question. I could be wrong, but it seems like over the last year or so, we have a lot more new grads posting about failing the NAPLEX, so maybe these folks are not passing the boards.

Both accredidation and NAPLEX are minimum competency standards. The range of competency of new graduates is extremely wide.

Can you explain why the Chapman tuition is unreasonably expensive?

The per semester tuition is around $23,000, which is the same as the other private pharmacy schools in California, except for USC which is more expensive. The $70,000 a year number that you hear about is because we are a three year school, like UOP, so there are three semesters of tuition during the first two years. The third year only has two semesters, so the tuition is only around $46,000.

Don't get me wrong, private pharmacy schools in California are more expensive than other parts of the country, but so is everything else in California.

Good question. I could be wrong, but it seems like over the last year or so, we have a lot more new grads posting about failing the NAPLEX, so maybe these folks are not passing the boards.

Actually the decrease in first time pass rates of the NAPLEX, have more to do with the fact that they changed the NAPLEX exam, so it is a more difficult exam now. But it is still a minimum competency exam.

I can't speak for any other "haters" but I'm not miserable in my job. I have, however, seen the way the job market has gone since I became a pharmacist. I have struggled to find employment and watched my friends and former students do the same. I see older pharmacists who were supposed to be retiring in droves decide to stick it out indefinitely due to the lousy economy. I can read the writing on the wall, and it says that now is not a good time to go to pharmacy school.

I am not worried about competition from new grads. Quite frankly, I find the idea that they'd be more knowledgeable than me, a person who has residency, BCPS, and almost 7 years in hospital practice to be laughable.

I'm also not miserable in my job; I really like what I do, especially now that I work for an employer that doesn't suck. :) I've been really lucky, however, and I worry that the opportunities that were available to me when I graduated simply won't be there for younger pharmacists.

You know why I have an ax to grind? New schools that sell pharmacy students a bill of goods, promising them opportunities that just don't - and likely won't - exist. Students fall for the new schools' line of BS and then take out $250K+ in loans that they may never be able to pay back. New schools that take under qualified students and dilute our profession. New schools that quote BS labor statistics to dupe students just to get their money and claim to care about our profession. If you really cared about our profession, you wouldn't sully the public's trust in us by accepting under qualified students who will go on to be sub-par practitioners or by misleading your prospective students about their prospects in pharmacy. If you really cared about our profession, you'd do something to decrease the saturation, not increase it.

As for why I "devote so many hours of my life" to discouraging students from going to pharmacy school, hey, everybody needs a hobby. :) In all seriousness, I care deeply about our profession and I think new schools and job market saturation are the biggest threats to it. And again, the fact that the head of one of the largest pharmacy organizations does not see that is very disturbing to me.

Hey Dalteparin, sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your post, but things have been busy and I haven't had a chance to get on SDN much.

Let me first say that I agree with you about one thing. I am also concerned about new schools who are accepting subpar applicants, and about the huge increases in the number of seats for pharmacy students.

But there are a couple of points to be made.

1) Chapman is not like other pharmacy schools. Our average GPA and average PCAT scores are above the national average. So we are not watering down the profession, but I agree with you that some other new schools are doing so, just so they can fill their class. However, so are many well established schools.

2) As for the increase in the number of seats in pharmacy schools, would it surprise you to know that far more seats have been added due to older schools increasing their class size, than have been added by new schools over the past decade or so. More and more establish schools are increasing their class sizes by 25 or 50%. Some by increasing the number of students they accept at their main campus, but many others are opening satellite campus and putting students there. I know that it is much easier to blame the increase on new schools, but why do students not get upset at existing schools for increasing their class sizes.

And as I have mentioned before, the vast majority of our students are California residents who would have either gone to another school in California or gone out of state and then come back to California to practice. So there will be very few of our graduates who are working in California who wouldn't have been here anyway.

I hope this helps.

About 80% of our students have a BS degree or higher.

Our mean PCAT is 63% and Median is 64%

For our currently deposited students for the class starting this fall, both the mean and median PCAT score is 72%.

As for the job issue, I know it is tight out there, but it isn't as bad as you and others claim it to be. I have talked to the employers and they do have jobs out there. But obviously, the days when all you needed to do to get a job was have a license and be breathing are gone. But that is a good thing for the profession, because we want pharmacists who can do more than just fill prescriptions. I'm not saying you are one of them, but pharmacists who have bad attitudes, are difficult to get along with, or who aren't keeping up with current and emerging skills sets will have a difficult time finding a job.

It is a new era that we are living in, and it is one where being a member of and being fully engaged in the state, local and national pharmacy associations, as well as the pharmacy fraternities will pay off greatly in getting a job. Pharmacy is a small world, and many jobs are filled before they are even posted, because managers reach out to people they know and ask if they know of people who want to change jobs. Also at the state, national, and local pharmacy association meetings, managers and recruiters are on the look out for people who may be good to hire.

The number of jobs pharmacy has available are the same as what people are experiencing in many other industries and professions. And I worked as a pharmacists during the severe shortage era; it was no fun. You were always short a pharmacist or more, which put a lot more stress into your day.

And again, the existing schools have increased their class sizes far more than the number of extra seats that are created by new schools. But yet no one blames them saturating the market.

My points being that there are a lot of things going on at pharmacy schools and within the pharmacy job market that people aren't aware of. So without all of the information it seems a little disingenuous to continue to make the claim that new schools of pharmacy are feeding students BS and giving them BS labor statistics. Although you are making a rational conclusion based on the information you have, the information you have is insufficient to make a truly factual conclusion.

But I am glad to hear that you are happy being a pharmacist.

Let me first say that I agree with you about one thing. I am also concerned about new schools who are accepting subpar applicants, and about the huge increases in the number of seats for pharmacy students.

As for the increase in the number of seats in pharmacy schools, would it surprise you to know that far more seats have been added due to older schools increasing their class size, than have been added by new schools over the past decade or so. More and more establish schools are increasing their class sizes by 25 or 50%. Some by increasing the number of students they accept at their main campus, but many others are opening satellite campus and putting students there. I know that it is much easier to blame the increase on new schools, but why do students not get upset at existing schools for increasing their class sizes.

And as I have mentioned before, the vast majority of our students are California residents who would have either gone to another school in California or gone out of state and then come back to California to practice. So there will be very few of our graduates who are working in California who wouldn't have been here anyway.

Would it surprise you to know that public schools may not have a choice when it comes to increasing their class sizes? Even schools that want to limit their class sizes cannot do so because seedy politicians threaten them with budget cuts or implementation of laws that would result in the opening of new schools. State law governs the requirements dictating which universities and colleges can open pharmacy schools. Imagine being the deans of the public pharmacy schools in your state and facing the dilemma of either:

A) increasing their class sizes to ensure students can be properly educated and trained in your state.
or
B) allowing more schools to open and lose any control over the number and quality of pharmacy students who are given a PharmD in your state

Furthermore, claiming that public universities are at fault for the pharmacist saturation because they increased their class sizes, is basically just the argument "he started it" in different words.

Would it surprise you to know that public schools may not have a choice when it comes to increasing their class sizes? Even schools that want to limit their class sizes cannot do so because seedy politicians threaten them with budget cuts or implementation of laws that would result in the opening of new schools. State law governs the requirements dictating which universities and colleges can open pharmacy schools. Imagine being the deans of the public pharmacy schools in your state and facing the dilemma of either:

A) increasing their class sizes to ensure students can be properly educated and trained in your state.
or
B) allowing more schools to open and lose any control over the number and quality of pharmacy students who are given a PharmD in your state

Furthermore, claiming that public universities are at fault for the pharmacist saturation because they increased their class sizes, is basically just the argument "he started it" in different words.

Thanks for your comment.

I think when you read my comment, you will see that I wasn't blaming the existing schools for what they are doing, only saying that people who complain about new schools should be complaining about existing schools as well. Personally, I don't think there is cause to complain about the new schools or the existing schools because they both have valid reason for doing what they are doing. Whether people agree with the reasoning or not is another story.

Hi! I have an interview coming up at Chapman. I know it’s been a while since you’ve done your interview, but do you remember what the group activity was like?

Hi
Thank you
Hello! How did the interview go? I have one soon and would appreciate some advice.