Character limits on app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweet_Tooth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to add to the already existing threads on application-related topics, but I can't find the answer to this anywhere--

Is it considered unprofessional to use "&" in place of "and" to reduce the number of characters? This was an issue in my personal statement and in my descriptions of my activities in the experiences section, I replaced all my ands with &s to not go over the character limit but after a quick google search, it seems to be considered unprofessional? Has anyone else who previously applied done something similar to stay within the character limit?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do that in the PS. The PS is a formal piece of writing and you should follows closely the general rules: no abbreviations ("don't"), no informal writing, no symbols or numbers (unless the number is higher than 100 or smth like that i don't really know this one)
As for the descriptions of activities and manual dexterity etc. I think it's more informal so I think in that context it would be okay. I used actual numbers in the descriptions on those things just because I thought it would be easier and more straightforward.

Reactions: 1 user
In personal statement you shouldn't do that, in experiences description I think it should be fine. For personal statement just try to remove a few words, or if you have two spaces after each sentence, make it one space.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies! Now I need advice on how to shorten my personal statement :(