Chargers team doc caused pneumothorax during nerve block.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dchz

Avoiding the Dunning-Kruger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

What block do you think it was?

I've heard a CT surgeon from MGH was following Edelman (patriots Wide receiver) around to do intercostals last season. Wonder if the chargers tried to do the same.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

What block do you think it was?

I've heard a CT surgeon from MGH was following Edelman (patriots Wide receiver) around to do intercostals last season. Wonder if the chargers tried to do the same.

Intercostal block

Reactions: 2 users
Same thing happened to Jerome Berttis before playoff game with nerve block (femoral) where he couldn’t move his leg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many intercostal nerve blocks do you think the orthopedic surgeons do every year?? (All 4 team docs are Ortho)

You won't catch me blocking athletes or tubing singers

I had a college scholarship running back, about a year ago, for some knee surgery. Surgeon asked if I was going to do a nerve block on him??? Nope!

Told the guy (and his father) what the risks were, and that I wasn’t going to risk his chances at a pro career for a day of pain relief. If he felt the pain was too much, we could discuss a block AFTER surgery.

Kid did fine, and I’m not sitting around wondering if I’ve got a lawsuit coming, if the kid doesn’t make the pros.....

Reactions: 7 users
I had a college scholarship running back, about a year ago, for some knee surgery. Surgeon asked if I was going to do a nerve block on him??? Nope!

Told the guy (and his father) what the risks were, and that I wasn’t going to risk his chances at a pro career for a day of pain relief. If he felt the pain was too much, we could discuss a block AFTER surgery.

Kid did fine, and I’m not sitting around wondering if I’ve got a lawsuit coming, if the kid doesn’t make the pros.....

Wise.

Attachments

• Luo- Femoral nerve block is associated with persistent... - Google Scholar.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 74
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here do rib blocks? I don’t but I feel like if I had to I would try to use ultrasound. It is crazy how close the intercostal nerves are to the pleura.

I know this may have been sarcasm... but, we did this once. Voice was insured. Famous person. Baaaaaad pneumonia. SpO2 84% on HFNC..... little run of VV ECMO. Problem solved.
Di-dang!

I know this may have been sarcasm... but, we did this once. Voice was insured. Famous person. Baaaaaad pneumonia. SpO2 84% on HFNC..... little run of VV ECMO. Problem solved.

Modern problems require modern solutions.

• Haha
Feels like every NFL team should have an anesthesiologist on the sidelines.

How much would the team have to pay you to take on that kind of liability?

Feels like every NFL team should have an anesthesiologist on the sidelines.

One of the pedi anesthesia/PICU guys from Rady used to be on the sidelines for all Chargers home games for IV duty.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone here do rib blocks? I don’t but I feel like if I had to I would try to use ultrasound. It is crazy how close the intercostal nerves are to the pleura.
No reason to EVER do rib blocks - not with the efficacy of an Erector Spinae Plane block.

Reactions: 8 users
.why couldn’t you do an esb?,
While I love ESP blocks, I can see why they aren’t the easiest of blocks. Getting that perfect image of the TP (not the ribs, which I frequently see folks mistaken as TP), and then driving the needle perfectly and displacing the ES muscle... that takes a lot of practice

From the article:
Lynn strongly backed Taylor on Sunday night and again this week. Many coaches believe that no player should lose his job to an injury -- especially one that accidentally came at the hands of a team doctor. The Chargers previously said Taylor suffered complications from an injection.

The real question is...why is he playing with cracked ribs? To the point that he needs a nerve block just to throw the ball? This "injury" was entirely avoidable.

Reactions: 4 users
From the article:

The real question is...why is he playing with cracked ribs? To the point that he needs a nerve block just to throw the ball? This "injury" was entirely avoidable.

Because they are millionaire ultra competitors. There is both egotistical and financial gain to be had. We are talking tens of millions of dollars here. Youre saying you wouldn't get an intercostal rib block to earn $20 million dollars?

Julian Edelman played through his rib fracture last year. The CT surgeon prob does thoracic cases and do tons of intercostals all the time. This injury is entirely treatable as well.

I think the scrutiny should also be on the Chargers as an organization... This is not their first bad outcome with team doctor. Lol may be Eli knew something we don't.

There is also quite a contrast in risk tolerance as well. Some of us here wouldn't even intubate a singer but the team doctor, who as an Ortho probably never done an intercostal block, didn't have the humility to say "hey let me call my anes or CT surgery buddy to do this right".

Last edited:
I've had issues a few times in ICU where there's too much surgical emphysema to see anything on USS.
I find them difficult in obese patients
the other disadvantage I think is that the block is a bit slower to establish than for paravertebral

We started them when I was a ca2, that lasted a whole 6months. Its extremely stimulating too.

We used the technique which basically felt youre ramming a metal rod hit rib and bouncing off until you've covered like 3. Wasn't a fan at all.