Chargers team doc caused pneumothorax during nerve block.

Started by dchz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dchz

Avoiding the Dunning-Kruger
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

What block do you think it was?

I've heard a CT surgeon from MGH was following Edelman (patriots Wide receiver) around to do intercostals last season. Wonder if the chargers tried to do the same.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You won't catch me blocking athletes or tubing singers

I had a college scholarship running back, about a year ago, for some knee surgery. Surgeon asked if I was going to do a nerve block on him??? Nope!

Told the guy (and his father) what the risks were, and that I wasn’t going to risk his chances at a pro career for a day of pain relief. If he felt the pain was too much, we could discuss a block AFTER surgery.

Kid did fine, and I’m not sitting around wondering if I’ve got a lawsuit coming, if the kid doesn’t make the pros.....
 
I had a college scholarship running back, about a year ago, for some knee surgery. Surgeon asked if I was going to do a nerve block on him??? Nope!

Told the guy (and his father) what the risks were, and that I wasn’t going to risk his chances at a pro career for a day of pain relief. If he felt the pain was too much, we could discuss a block AFTER surgery.

Kid did fine, and I’m not sitting around wondering if I’ve got a lawsuit coming, if the kid doesn’t make the pros.....

Wise.

 

Attachments

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.why couldn’t you do an esb?,
While I love ESP blocks, I can see why they aren’t the easiest of blocks. Getting that perfect image of the TP (not the ribs, which I frequently see folks mistaken as TP), and then driving the needle perfectly and displacing the ES muscle... that takes a lot of practice
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From the article:
Lynn strongly backed Taylor on Sunday night and again this week. Many coaches believe that no player should lose his job to an injury -- especially one that accidentally came at the hands of a team doctor. The Chargers previously said Taylor suffered complications from an injection.

The real question is...why is he playing with cracked ribs? To the point that he needs a nerve block just to throw the ball? This "injury" was entirely avoidable.
 
From the article:

The real question is...why is he playing with cracked ribs? To the point that he needs a nerve block just to throw the ball? This "injury" was entirely avoidable.

Because they are millionaire ultra competitors. There is both egotistical and financial gain to be had. We are talking tens of millions of dollars here. Youre saying you wouldn't get an intercostal rib block to earn $20 million dollars?

Julian Edelman played through his rib fracture last year. The CT surgeon prob does thoracic cases and do tons of intercostals all the time. This injury is entirely treatable as well.

I think the scrutiny should also be on the Chargers as an organization... This is not their first bad outcome with team doctor. Lol may be Eli knew something we don't.

There is also quite a contrast in risk tolerance as well. Some of us here wouldn't even intubate a singer but the team doctor, who as an Ortho probably never done an intercostal block, didn't have the humility to say "hey let me call my anes or CT surgery buddy to do this right".
 
Last edited:
I've had issues a few times in ICU where there's too much surgical emphysema to see anything on USS.
I find them difficult in obese patients
the other disadvantage I think is that the block is a bit slower to establish than for paravertebral
 
Anyone here do rib blocks? I don’t but I feel like if I had to I would try to use ultrasound. It is crazy how close the intercostal nerves are to the pleura.

We started them when I was a ca2, that lasted a whole 6months. Its extremely stimulating too.

We used the technique which basically felt youre ramming a metal rod hit rib and bouncing off until you've covered like 3. Wasn't a fan at all.