Charges and Convictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre_med

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All this criminal talk and consequences has got me thinking!

I was arrested a loooong time ago in High School and then released a few hours later because I was obviously not guilty! (somebody got beat up in the neighborhood I was driving in, they pulled my car over and arrested me for "concealed weapon" because I had a tire iron in the trunk :(--anyway, I was handcuffed and taken to the police station, they took mugshots, and when the captain came to the station a few hours later, he was like "why is this guy here?" And they proceeded to release me from custody.)

Were there charges brought against me? Was I convicted? Should I include this? :( :(

Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are actually a fugitive felon. I have logged your IP address and informed the local authorities.

Can someone help? :confused:

I don't want to be dishonest in my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the United States, you can't be convicted without being tried by a jury of your peers. You weren't even charged with anything. Please, chill out.

Sorry man, I just want to be sure nothing creeps up on me later when I'm in med school.

I didn't think I was convicted, since there was no trial.

But, how do you know there were no charges? They arrested me for "concealed weapon" What indicates I wasn't charged? Because I was released?

Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience.

Please tell me you're kidding. If you were formally charged, it would have either gone to trial or they would have dropped the charges, and you would know. At least, I hope you would know.

stop bumping. you have NOTHING to worry about and this sounds silly. welcome to sdn btw.

BUT I think you were charged with the crime.

Charged means being accused of a crime.

Convicted means accused then proven guilty.

So to answer your question, you have been charged with a crime, but released because they made a mistake.

Did you have to go to court at all?

imo, i wouldn't put this on my MS applications.

That sounds good!! Hey man, this is my future, I just want to be sure everything is correct on my application.

I thought just the fact that I was arrested (wrongfully for "concealed weapon") would be considered "charges".

Anybody else?

med_stud_07 said:

So to answer your question, you have been charged with a crime, but released because they made a mistake.

No, he was not charged. To be charged you have to be arraigned, which requires you seeing a judge.

med_stud_07 said:

Thanks for the response. No, I didnt goto court at all.....so I dunno if I should put it on my app.

The TMDSAS app asks if I have "current charges" or if I have ever been "convicted of a felony or misdemeanor"

So maybe these charges, if there were any, were in the past and not "current charges?"

Thanks again guys.

FaytlND said:
No, he was not charged. To be charged you have to be arraigned, which requires you seeing a judge.

This helps alot!!

Members don't see this ad :)
FaytlND said:

"Law enforcement officials have a relatively short period of time following an arrest (24 or 48 hours, depending on the state) during which they must either charge the person with a crime or release them. "

So it looks like I wasn't charged, because they released me within that 48 hour period. The arrest itself for "concealed weapon" wasnt a charge at all because there was no arraignment!

Great post!!! This will help others who are afraid to post I'm sure :)

pre_med said:
"Law enforcement officials have a relatively short period of time following an arrest (24 or 48 hours, depending on the state) during which they must either charge the person with a crime or release them. "

So it looks like I wasn't charged, because they released me within that 48 hour period. The arrest itself for "concealed weapon" wasnt a charge at all because there was no arraignment!

Slightly off-topic: They arrested you for absolutely nothing ? I mean, so you had a piece of metal in your trunk, and someone in the neighborhood was attacked. Does that justify an arrest ? :thumbdown: And people complain about Canada... ;)

Blake said:
Slightly off-topic: They arrested you for absolutely nothing ? I mean, so you had a piece of metal in your trunk, and someone in the neighborhood was attacked. Does that justify an arrest ? :thumbdown: And people complain about Canada... ;)

Yep. My car and nationality slightly fit the description, so I guess they had a cause to arrest me. They were really fishing for some reason to get me. Thank god I was never charged or convicted.

pre_med said:
Yep. My car and nationality slightly fit the description, so I guess they had a cause to arrest me. They were really fishing for some reason to get me. Thank god I was never charged or convicted.
Ok, now I get it. Otherwise, it'd have been downright stupid to arrest you.

you should get ready to meet brutus, your 300 lb cell mate...

Blake said:
Ok, now I get it. Otherwise, it'd have been downright stupid to arrest you.

lol Isn't our law enforcement grand? :eek:

Yeah, I was real pissed. But it was a really long time ago and it thankfully is not going on my med school app.

pre_med said:

Interesting. Started out a little neurotic, but turned out informative. Its good to see an actual website of information rather than random people's opinions.

-tx

pre_med said:
All this criminal talk and consequences has got me thinking!

I was arrested a loooong time ago in High School and then released a few hours later because I was obviously not guilty! (somebody got beat up in the neighborhood I was driving in, they pulled my car over and arrested me for "concealed weapon" because I had a tire iron in the trunk :(--anyway, I was handcuffed and taken to the police station, they took mugshots, and when the captain came to the station a few hours later, he was like "why is this guy here?" And they proceeded to release me from custody.)

Were there charges brought against me? Was I convicted? Should I include this? :( :(

Help!

You are fine. There is nothing to report to AMCAS if all you say is accurate.

Yeah, you're fine, not charged or convicted. BTW, I was arrested and charged for a much more silly incident. Not convicted though. Yes, law enforcement generally sucks.

Just pay the $10.00 or what ever the fee is where you are and pull your record. That ends it.:)

Just pay the $10.00 or what ever the fee is where you are and pull your record. That ends it.:)

If you're so worried, why don't you just order one of those background checks on yourself for 50 bucks and see what comes up?

Edit: Yeah, what tixe said.