Charity work/involvement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BacardiGirl

Go Gophers!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How high is this deemed on your application/resume? And how far back is too far to list these type of activities?

I interned at the MS Society Minnesota Chapter in 1999
Participated in Diabetes ane Heart Walks 2002-2004
Currently training for Leukemia and Lymphoma Assoc. Marathon

Does this help in regards to what they look at on the application?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My volunteer work was from 03 and so was my pharmacy experience. I don't think it hurt that it was so old for me because I have been busy with other things since. I just happened to graduate a few years ago.

I've been told that it shouldn't be older than your freshman year if you are applying from directly from college. But I guess it depends on your particular age and situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
How high is this deemed on your application/resume? And how far back is too far to list these type of activities?

I interned at the MS Society Minnesota Chapter in 1999
Participated in Diabetes ane Heart Walks 2002-2004
Currently training for Leukemia and Lymphoma Assoc. Marathon

Does this help in regards to what they look at on the application?

thanks

As far as community service activities, something like interning at the MS society is in the right arena as long as it wasn't a paid position. It doesn't look bad that you participate in walks/fun runs/marathons that benefit medical related orgs like MS, just not as good as dedicating like a couple hours every week for a year doing something at the same place. I don't know how other schools are, but at my school they like to see you get involved with one or two groups, like packing boxes at the food bank, and really do a lot with just those few groups.

it certainly doesn't hurt!!

WHen we made our CV's for our intro class 2nd year they said nothing from high school, as far as honors and awards went.

As far as community service activities, something like interning at the MS society is in the right arena as long as it wasn't a paid position. It doesn't look bad that you participate in walks/fun runs/marathons that benefit medical related orgs like MS, just not as good as dedicating like a couple hours every week for a year doing something at the same place. I don't know how other schools are, but at my school they like to see you get involved with one or two groups, like packing boxes at the food bank, and really do a lot with just those few groups.