Charles Drew Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalFutureDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been accepted to the Charles Drew Post Bac program and I was wondering if anybody had information on this post bac program. Is there anyone in the program right now or that recently finished it that can tell me how it was and how useful it was for getting into med school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have been accepted to the Charles Drew Post Bac program and I was wondering if anybody had information on this post bac program. Is there anyone in the program right now or that recently finished it that can tell me how it was and how useful it was for getting into med school?

Thanks!

Hey, Its a very small school and very small program. I know of three people from last year who graduated from the program and got accepted into the UCLA/DREW Medical School and alot of people who graduated from the program and went else where. I know of a few students who left the program after its first year because they get accepted into medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh wow that is great to hear! Do you know if the post bac has a linkage with UCLA/Drew medical school or if it is easier to get into that program after doing the post bac.? My application process with Drew raised a few red flags so I am trying to decide if I should accept the program invitation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a very non-traditional student and I have been accepted into this program as well. Does anyone know around how many students are normally accepted into this program?

During my interview I was told that at most 55 people participate in the program annually.

I also applied to Charles Drew Post bac Program and getting an Interview next week. I'm in oakland and will be driving to LA. what kind go questions do they ask?

They halted my interview because I am on the east coast. They told me out-state-interviews were no longer conducted. So, they sent my app to the dept chair for evaluation.

Mostly they just ask questions about why you want to be a doc, strengths/weaknesses, etc. the usual stuff. Mine centered a lot around my personal statement as well so be prepared to talk about that because I think they review your app. right before you go into the interview

@nika2014 did you not interview at all since you are out of state? How were you able to take the placement exam and how were you notified of your acceptance? Also, did anyone get an email about filling out a scholarship application?

When I applied, I was in Boston. I didn't interview because of out of state, but they forwarded by application with the recommendation letters to the committee. I got accepted and took the exam as soon as I got to Los Angeles. If anyone is worried about it, don't be. Its basic science and math. I filled out the scholarship application stuff, but never got any notification if I received anything. Has anyone else?

They said they would announce who received the scholarship awards the week of July 7th.

Did anyone receive scholarships? I assume I haven't since I didn't get any word back...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to apply to cdu's post bac, would anyone be nice enough to share what their application was like? gpa, major, clinical experience, etc. ? also, if you're enrolled in the program, could you share your thoughts on your experience so far? (especially where cost and financial aid is concerned.) thanks!

Does anyone know if cdu post bacc will lead to a higher chance of the drew/UCLA med school?

I have an interview coming up for this program for the Fall 2015. Is anyone who has gone through the program willing to share their experiences?

I am going into my third semester of the program now and I really like it. Sure the administration is very slow but the professors truly care about how you are doing and will do their best to make sure you succeed. I'm sure there are better post-bac programs out there but if this is in close proximity to where you live (southern california) then I would say go for it. They lack on having a huge selection of upper division science classes so I would say that this program is more ideal for a career changer than an academic enhancer. Although, I am an academic enhancer and still found enough classes to take for my first two semesters, this third semester it will be harder to get enough classes to be full time. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer them :)

I got into the program last yr. I postponed for a yr. I will be attending this yr.

I am going into my third semester of the program now and I really like it. Sure the administration is very slow but the professors truly care about how you are doing and will do their best to make sure you succeed. I'm sure there are better post-bac programs out there but if this is in close proximity to where you live (southern california) then I would say go for it. They lack on having a huge selection of upper division science classes so I would say that this program is more ideal for a career changer than an academic enhancer. Although, I am an academic enhancer and still found enough classes to take for my first two semesters, this third semester it will be harder to get enough classes to be full time. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer them :)

I got accepted yesterday. Do you know their success rate in getting students into med school? How is the student life? And the surrounding community?

Congrats! I do not know anything about their success rate. I assume it is based more on the individual's stats entering the program as well as how they do in the program. The student life is alright, there are opportunities for leadership but it isn't the most spirited campus you will ever see. The surrounding community is working class and was rougher in the past but I personally have not had any problems with the area. Although, I will say almost nobody lives in the surrounding area. Most people commute a fair distance.

Hi can anyone tell me how to prepare for the entrance examination for Charles Drew? Also any specific interview questions I should prepare for?

Hey Cherry D.,

The test is on your knowledge base of various subjects, just so they can advise on what classes to start with. I got in 2 yrs ago(but i postponed for a yr), I did not interview because I was on the east coast, so they based it solely on my academic records. Be yourself, confidently explain any bad grades. You should be fine.

Hello all! So, I was recently accepted into the post-bac program at CDU. I am hoping to get your input. I had great interviewers, and felt a sense of community. I am still stuck on deciding whether to complete my pre-reqs solo, or do a post-bac program such as CDU? Any feedback to help my decision would be greeeaaat!

Last edited:
Hi,

What would you like to know?
A LOT. Hahaha.
  • What is your background (why did you pursue a post-bac)?
  • How would you rate your experience at CDU on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the highest)?
  • Why did you chose CDU? Did you apply at other post-bacc programs?
  • What was the workload/course load like?
  • How was the MCAT capstone course?
  • How long were you in the program?
  • For those who did complete the program, how many went on into medical school?
  • Any concerns that you want to share?
This may also be an ignorant question. I am relatively new to California (from Minnesota, born and raised), and the biggest concern that my mother has is the area. Any insight would be great to provide my mother reassurance from 2,000 miles away.

THANK YOU!

A LOT. Hahaha.
  • What is your background (why did you pursue a post-bac)?
  • How would you rate your experience at CDU on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the highest)?
  • Why did you chose CDU? Did you apply at other post-bacc programs?
  • What was the workload/course load like?
  • How was the MCAT capstone course?
  • How long were you in the program?
  • For those who did complete the program, how many went on into medical school?
  • Any concerns that you want to share?
This may also be an ignorant question. I am relatively new to California (from Minnesota, born and raised), and the biggest concern that my mother has is the area. Any insight would be great to provide my mother reassurance from 2,000 miles away.

THANK YOU!
Lol.

I am going to send you my email privately. I am actually studying some gen chem at the moment for the mcat. I will answer all of your concerns!! I am from the northeast so I can imagine your mom is concerned about her baby!!

Hey does anyone know about the Biomedical Sciences program by chance? Does it have linkage, and how many people usually matriculate into the medical school?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

I am going into my third semester of the program now and I really like it. Sure the administration is very slow but the professors truly care about how you are doing and will do their best to make sure you succeed. I'm sure there are better post-bac programs out there but if this is in close proximity to where you live (southern california) then I would say go for it. They lack on having a huge selection of upper division science classes so I would say that this program is more ideal for a career changer than an academic enhancer. Although, I am an academic enhancer and still found enough classes to take for my first two semesters, this third semester it will be harder to get enough classes to be full time. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer them :)[/

hi, did you get into med school after completing the program?