Charles Drew/UCLA Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wassup everybody. I thought I would go ahead and throw this thread up for everybody who is either interviewing, accepted or a current medical student. I interviewed on 11/15. They said we should hear something by the second week of December. I loved CDU and am praying hard and daily that I get accepted. Anyways, lets rap about this great program and potentially being classmates! God bless!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say Whats up!! I'm interviewing at Drew on 1/24 and I'm already claiming it that I will be accepted!! Hope to see you there :)

wow i like the confidence merissa lucky for you the wait will probably be much shorter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi c/o 2013 here.
You don't know how relieved I am being able to say that now.
Looking forward to meeting all you future doctors.

Anyone know how they are going to pay for the UCLA tuition and expenses?

I came from a UC undergrad where fortunately I got a full ride and was able to work during summers to pay for rent so I am unfamiliar with loans. I just wanna get some ideas of how you are going to tackle this financial behemoth.

Anyone going to the military? Parents paying? I'd like to hear it.
I am VERY interested in going into debt for school so I'll listen to any suggestions :rolleyes:

Drew/UCLA is awesome and I'm struggling to figure out where to go. I'm also considering the UCI-PRIME program...
The people at the UCI program had spirits that really seemed on fire about issues and were really invigorating, I don't feel like I got that sense at Drew, people seemed more complacent yet UCLA is such a great school and in a really nice area, accessible to many different varieties and neighborhoods...any one else in the same boat? thoughts?

RE: AngeMay
I think either program is worthy for anyone. Maybe you caught the Drew environment in a bad day? They seemed pretty hardcore about their mission when I was there.

From what I understand both programs serve the under-served. But I get the feeling the UCI program caters more towards the Latino community and the Drew program with the African American community. I don't know if this is accurate but this is the picture I got.

I get the feeling you like the variety provided by LA county versus the perfect Irvine bubble but you are seeking authentic dedication from the school environment clearly displayed in Irvine. Whatever you decide, I assure you its an excellent choice.

I have some videos that will give you more ways to formulate a decision:
UCLA mobile clinic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uFTO0iIw-U
Tons of Drew Media Streams with info
http://www.cdrewu.edu/media

UCI prime montage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCpPu2FnHGI
UCI prime profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx2BxnTkurE&feature=related

Just checked today, the accepted students checklist is finally up!
Been a while and today is the only day that it finally worked for me.

To find the site do this:
go to google> input "ucla som accepted students checklist"> click first link> click the CDU/UCLA option> input info> continue

The most pressing thing is an RSVP for a second look event due 4/6/2009. Otherwise everything is still pretty much a while from being due (early May). Anyone else going to the recruitment day?

I am still waiting to hear back from Drew and trying to plan a mini vacation before school starts. Does anyone who is accepted already know when Drew's orientation happens? I think i remember they said something about how they have a "boot camp" a week (or is it 2 weeks) before Geffen starts.

Yes they have a 2 week deal some time in July. Sandy told me that is when it'll happen but had no specific date. All I know is that there will be a 2 week period where we get orientated at CDU and a 2 week period that follows where orientation occurs at UCLA. Essentially she said we will be free, until the beginning of July!

So I just got the letter giving info about financial aid, health clearance, registration procedures, housing, and the DREW welcome letter. The documents contain your student ID number so the online checklist can finally be finished!:)

I talked to Teresa last week about the orientation. (I had a vacation planned in July...and had to reschedule it for the orientation boo.) It's a week long orientation in July, starting on the 20th and ending on the 24th with the white coat ceremony. The next week in an optional orientation at UCLA, and August 3 is the start of our mandatory week long orientation at UCLA. I also just received an email inviting acceptees to a mixer on the 24th. Pretty crazy, we'll be starting school before we know it....hope everyone enjoys our last real summer break!

I talked to Teresa last week about the orientation. (I had a vacation planned in July...and had to reschedule it for the orientation boo.) It's a week long orientation in July, starting on the 20th and ending on the 24th with the white coat ceremony. The next week in an optional orientation at UCLA, and August 3 is the start of our mandatory week long orientation at UCLA. I also just received an email inviting acceptees to a mixer on the 24th. Pretty crazy, we'll be starting school before we know it....hope everyone enjoys our last real summer break!

Ya I got the email too. It's really nice they are feeding us and letting us meet them. I'm definitely going to RSVP but damn 405 traffic will freaking sux on a Friday -- then there's the UCLA Recruitment Day the following Saturday I'll be doing tons of driving those two days. Here's an image for you guys who didn't get the mixer yet. You need to RSVP to attend:

rusp79.jpg

Thanks for the info kperez, it's cool you got temporal specifics. Now I know when to officially quit my job and volunteer work.
BTW, so if we have a 4 day orientation at Drew where will we be staying? I don't think they have any dorms.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the orientation.....As of right now, I live about 45 minutes south of Drew. I'm hoping that Weyburn gets back to us soon and lets us move in before the orientation...because if not...i'll be commuting every morning and night...on the 405. ahhhhh.

other than that...It's pretty crazy how we'll be meeting everyone in our class in a couple of weeks. Im excited yet a bit anxious. Here's to the next four years!

they probably have not worked all the details out yet, but it is highly likely you will be housed together in a nearby complex. this is based off of last year's experience. things may change, probably why they haven't told you anything yet. if you have been accepted, feel free to ask any and all questions to the staff since you are now in.

ps. you might save money (but loose time and gain a little hecticness) by moving into weyburn later because if CDU does house you for one week, and then you use the housing provided by UCLA for prologue, then you will save your self 2 weeks of rent. this is all assuming you live near the area already and can just move you things in later. but if you live far, or have a lot of stufff you need to start moving in asap, then i guess you would need to move in early.

they probably have not worked all the details out yet, but it is highly likely you will be housed together in a nearby complex. this is based off of last year's experience. things may change, probably why they haven't told you anything yet. if you have been accepted, feel free to ask any and all questions to the staff since you are now in.

ps. you might save money (but loose time and gain a little hecticness) by moving into weyburn later because if CDU does house you for one week, and then you use the housing provided by UCLA for prologue, then you will save your self 2 weeks of rent. this is all assuming you live near the area already and can just move you things in later. but if you live far, or have a lot of stufff you need to start moving in asap, then i guess you would need to move in early.

Hey Shifa thanks for the info. Are you a current MS1? If so can you give some insider info about the best way to acclimate into the medical education program? I've been out of school for a year so I need to get into the academic headspace once again. Some general tips on how to approach the whole induction into the Drew family, starting school, etc. would be massively appreciated.

I know we are only a small group of students in this program so it's really cool you're taking time to connect via the www :D

Did anyone get any of their financial aid estimates yet?
I got about 12k in scholarship, 8.5k in subsidized Stafford, and 30k in unsubsidized Stafford.

This sound normal to you guys? Not really that familiar with the loan process since this is the first time I even took loans out for school.

Hello Everyone,

For those accepted, welcome to the CDU Family. I hope that many of you who are accepted will be able to make it out to 2nd Look Weekend at the CDU campus and at UCLA and gain a greater understanding of the CDU/UCLA program (it sounds like a few are still unsure). Unfortunately, the MSI's will be on our "block break" and MSII's will be done with school and studying for boards, but there will be a handful of us out there to welcome you. At 2nd look, you will receive the answers to the many questions you have from both CDU faculty and current CDU students. Once again, congrats and see you all next weekend!

Hello Everyone,

For those accepted, welcome to the CDU Family. I hope that many of you who are accepted will be able to make it out to 2nd Look Weekend at the CDU campus and at UCLA and gain a greater understanding of the CDU/UCLA program (it sounds like a few are still unsure). Unfortunately, the MSI's will be on our "block break" and MSII's will be done with school and studying for boards, but there will be a handful of us out there to welcome you. At 2nd look, you will receive the answers to the many questions you have from both CDU faculty and current CDU students. Once again, congrats and see you all next weekend!

Thanks for your input. I'll ask when they field more questions during second look if that is the ideal setting. And of course the most important question you could address now: what food will be served? I don't want to go there on an empty stomach and starve nor do I want to pig out and refuse any food. Do you remember what you ate during your second look :D?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just got the UCLA recruitment day email. It gives instructions on what will happen on Saturday April 25, 2009.

Since I provided the DREW mixer invite, I'll attach the message here as well. Hopefully if you missed the message this will help out. I like archiving this stuff. This way we could look back to this thread and see how far we have come. Two days back to back is going to be killer. Funny thing is they predict cold weather and it has been in the 90's for the past few days.

Attachments

• Recruitment Day Participant Instructions 2009.pdf
    115.8 KB · Views: 193
Thanks for posting the invites. :) It will be nice to look back.

Definitely a lot of driving this weekend! I hope LA is traffic kind to us. :smuggrin: