Chatham University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackcar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have received an interview invitation from Chatham University for Nov. 17th and am very interested. I wanted to know if anyone has interviewed there or does have an interview then. Does anyone have any information of how the essay question will be structured (time frame, computerized) and of interview questions and of how the day will be.

Thank You! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there last year...the essay was written. I believe we got like 45 minutes and were given a situation to write about..mine was what would you do if you found out the place you were about to start working for was asking new hires to memorize some questions from the board exam and report back with them. The whole day went by pretty quick...they talked about the program and we met some 1st and 2nd years.
Some of interview questions to expect are "why chatham" "why pt" "what are your biggest strengths and weaknesses" and i think we got one that was like "think about a time when you displayed some initiative."
I got wait listed to chatham and ended up going somewhere else. Hope this helped! Good luck!

Yep I had the same questions last year. i got into Chatham but declined b/c I absolutely didnt like the professor that I interviewed with. He seemed very disinterested in us and our answers, and basically acted like he was annoyed that he had to be there. When he added that we would be working with him a lot our first year, I wasn't having that...

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview day went by really quickly for me. They had like a group introduction, and then they broke us up into smaller groups: tour with current students, mock PBL, written interview and interview with a professor. The best way to prepare is to think about all your volunteer experience and relate it to why you want to be a PT. They just really are looking for why you want to be a PT, and if you possess the characteristics that PTs should have. Some people had a one on one interview and others had two students with one professor. I was in the latter category.

I also interviewed last year, but I chose not to attend. They have a very nice program, but it just ended up not being the right fit for me personally. I decided to stay closer to home.

I will be interviewing Nov. 17th too. If you live in the philly area, we can head there togther because I am not looking forward to this drive. Its great to finally visit schools which I never did in HS. I had a few other interviews already and what I learn is to just relax. If you stress out and try to memorise it will give off a bad vibe. just be honest :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Actually, I am coming from Chicago so it's more further out. Yea, I'm just trying to better prepare myself for the interview. Hope I see you there, qtran.

Hi everyone,

I have received an interview invitation from Chatham University for Nov. 17th and am very interested. I wanted to know if anyone has interviewed there or does have an interview then. Does anyone have any information of how the essay question will be structured (time frame, computerized) and of interview questions and of how the day will be.

Thank You! :)

I have an interview there too - but I just thought of something - was there a confirmation email or anything after you rsvpd online?

I have an interview there too - but I just thought of something - was there a confirmation email or anything after you rsvpd online?
I got an interview there as well, but did not receive a conformation e-mail or anything informing me that they got my RSVP

I live in Maryland and just got an email that I got an interview on Nov 17
PTCAS designation status is still "not mailed"

PTCAS is screwy.
you can't always go by their statuses - in my own experience and what i've heard from others is that a lot of the time they're not accurate

if you're just getting an invite now then.. maybe someone dropped out and you were bumped into the priority interview slot? idk how that part works.

anyone coming from philly/jersey area and want to carpool to interview?! im not excited about the drive..

Good luck this weekend to all the applicants! I'm a 2nd year at Chatham and although it has its positive/negatives (as all school's do) I really feel like I've been prepared extremely well thus far! :)

I will be at the interview on Saturday, also. Good luck everyone! I didn't get a confirmation either, so it sounds like Chatham doesn't send them. I did take a screen shot of my rsvp though, just in case.

And thanks markel :) Excited to learn more about Chatham's program! Plus I've never been to Pittsburgh, so I'm excited to see what it has to offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plus I've never been to Pittsburgh, so I'm excited to see what it has to offer.

Pittsburgh is a really cool city; it's not very compact (so walking to everything isn't possible) but everything is very close driveable wise... Plus with a Chatham ID (or a Pitt or other Pittsburgh college ID) you get to ride the bus for free! Near campus, just down the road on Penn Avenue is a little shopping area with an LA Fitness and a Panera Bread and a Target and then further down on Fifth Avenue is Shadyside which is a cool part of town with shopping and restaurants, etc.

I'm curious what everyone thought of the interviews yesterday?

The interview was very well organized and the group interview was a typical behavioral question interview, so I wasn't caught off guard. But I was still nervous though, don't get me wrong :) I was surprised that there were so many candidates there, I thought there would be about 20-25. Kudos to the interviewers because I'm sure they were exhausted at the end of the day.

I'm not sure how I feel about Chatham's program and I'm not sure how I feel about Pittsburgh either. I see the advantages to PBL, but personally I do not think I would like it since it takes a lot of time. I like to have the knowledge and facts in front of me before I assess a case and having to look for info seems so time consuming to me. I understand how it's supposed to simulate "real life" situations when you're a PT and I think that is the great, but I don't know if I would work well with it.

I liked speaking with some of the students and alumni. They all seemed to like the program, but I'm not sure if it was genuine. One thing I noticed was that nobody seemed to like Pittsburgh that much. Also, it didn't seem like the students spoke much about how well their classmates got along. I got a couple "yeah we all get along for the most part" but I was expecting more camaraderie. I did hear a few outstanding praises for the professors, so I think that was great.

I'm not sure how I feel about Pittsburgh because I'm living in the DC metro area right now and I'm used to the diverse population. Living in Pittsburgh would be a huge change for me, so it would take me time to get adjusted. I think Chatham does have a great program overall. If it happens to be the only school to accept me then I will go, but if I had a choice between Chatham and another school then it would take some serious debating.

I see the advantages to PBL, but personally I do not think I would like it since it takes a lot of time. I like to have the knowledge and facts in front of me before I assess a case and having to look for info seems so time consuming to me. I understand how it's supposed to simulate "real life" situations when you're a PT and I think that is the great, but I don't know if I would work well with it....

Also, it didn't seem like the students spoke much about how well their classmates got along. I got a couple "yeah we all get along for the most part" but I was expecting more camaraderie. I did hear a few outstanding praises for the professors, so I think that was great.

Glad you had a good experience overall. PBL is definitely VERY time consuming and can be VERY frustrating when you constantly get your questions answered by more questions. Sometimes I definitely wish that someone would just tell me the darn answer, but I also enjoy being an active learner, so I really like PBL. But, if you are questioning your learning style and how it matches with PBL then you definitely need to really think about if it would be a good match, because of the reasons I just gave.

As far as classmates getting along, I'm in the 2nd year class and we do all get along; there's only a couple of classmates that when I get put in a group with them I have to practice some serious patience, but for the most part when in contact with anyone I enjoy talking to them. That being said, I don't actively seek to be best friends with everyone in my program because I am in school for me, not for the social aspect. So, there are sub groups within our class (as all groups of people I'm sure!) that I am much more social with than the entire class as a whole.

Also, Pittsburgh is a small city; it's not like DC or New York where everything is so concentrated, but the city really has a lot to offer. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up in western PA and always wanted to live in this city and now I am, so I'm loving life, but I love Pittsburgh. It is not your typical city and sometimes that sucks, but sometimes I really like it too.

Good luck in your quest for finding the best school for YOU! :)

Glad you had a good experience overall. PBL is definitely VERY time consuming and can be VERY frustrating when you constantly get your questions answered by more questions. Sometimes I definitely wish that someone would just tell me the darn answer, but I also enjoy being an active learner, so I really like PBL. But, if you are questioning your learning style and how it matches with PBL then you definitely need to really think about if it would be a good match, because of the reasons I just gave.

As far as classmates getting along, I'm in the 2nd year class and we do all get along; there's only a couple of classmates that when I get put in a group with them I have to practice some serious patience, but for the most part when in contact with anyone I enjoy talking to them. That being said, I don't actively seek to be best friends with everyone in my program because I am in school for me, not for the social aspect. So, there are sub groups within our class (as all groups of people I'm sure!) that I am much more social with than the entire class as a whole.

Also, Pittsburgh is a small city; it's not like DC or New York where everything is so concentrated, but the city really has a lot to offer. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up in western PA and always wanted to live in this city and now I am, so I'm loving life, but I love Pittsburgh. It is not your typical city and sometimes that sucks, but sometimes I really like it too.

Good luck in your quest for finding the best school for YOU! :)

Thanks markel! I appreciate the helpful information. If I get accepted into Chatham then I will definitely have to think about it.

Has anyone heard anything from chatham that interviewed Nov 17th?

I interviewed Nov 17th and have not heard anything yet. Hope this helps

Great. Still patiently waiting to hear. It will be two weeks this weekend so hopefully soon! How'd you think the interview went?

I'm pretty sure they said it would be 3-4 weeks for a reply didn't they? I really liked the interview process and felt it was smooth for the most part. The campus was also really nice

I heard just now - email says 9:15 am - accepted.

I just received an acceptance too. Congrats! Exciting, but I'm still unsure whether I could see myself at Chatham. Hopefully I hear from my in-state schools by the deposit deadline. That will help me decide whether or not I decide on Chatham.

Haven't heard Anything yet. I'm going to assume that means I was denied acceptance. Congrats to everyone who has heard so far!

Haven't heard Anything yet. I'm going to assume that means I was denied acceptance. Congrats to everyone who has heard so far!

Not necessarily, they will let you know accepted, waitlisted or denied. It's possible they do it in spurts. I think before they said they actually accept 70 some people but only around 36 actually choose Chatham. Don't fret!

I got an acceptance email from Chatham this morning as well (Nov 30th)! :) Congrats everyone!

Just received an email saying I'm on the alternate list. Not a great thing but not a bad thing either. Anyone else heard Anything?

same here, just received an email for alternate list

Any best guess how many people were there on the 17th? I'm just trying to think how many would be on the wait list currently

I'd love to know how many are on the wait list. I would guess there were between 65-70 at the first interview. Did anyone that was at the interview rejected? Or is everyone that's not accepted wait listed?

I'd also like to know if there were any rejections but I wouldn't feel right asking someone to post that. I think there were two groups of interviews that day one at 8am the other at 1pm. I was at one pm and we had around 60 I'm not sure how big the 8am group was

So that means there were probably 120 or better. I'm not sure how many acceptances they send out either

So that means there were probably 120 or better. I'm not sure how many acceptances they send out either

I heard that last year they ended up sending out 70 acceptances for the 36 spots.

But I also answered a similar question regarding acceptance rate if you're invited to an interview (For Chatham: They interview 100 and have a class size between 34-38.)
And someone said that information was wrong.

I got that information from a Chatham PT Prof at an open house, so.. not sure?
I didn't realize there was a second group that interviewed in the afternoon on the 17th though. So, there is no way they interview only 100 people. There was a good 60-70 in the AM interview. But that's what the prof said at the open house.

I heard that last year they ended up sending out 70 acceptances for the 36 spots.

But I also answered a similar question regarding acceptance rate if you're invited to an interview (For Chatham: They interview 100 and have a class size between 34-38.)
And someone said that information was wrong.

I got that information from a Chatham PT Prof at an open house, so.. not sure?
I didn't realize there was a second group that interviewed in the afternoon on the 17th though. So, there is no way they interview only 100 people. There was a good 60-70 in the AM interview. But that's what the prof said at the open house.

Well I guess they have just changed their set up. I am surprised there is so many people especially because there is another set of interviews in jan. so I guess time will tell

Has anyone else heard about their status yet?

Heard about it in what way? I doubt they would change any of the alternates until after dec 21 since that is when the deposits are due. Or are you referring to a different status update?