Cheap Flights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shane.

Get ya' hair did.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone doing to save money on flights?

I just checked a student travel website that was recommended by our Student's Union Handbook and they say the cheapest flight I can get to Ft. Lauderdale is nearly $1,200.00! I know for a fact I can get a cheaper flight than this.

I've heard of booking as early as possible.

Someone else once told me that on one day of each week (say Tuesdays) after midnight a bunch of cheap flights pop up. I passed it off as a total load at the time but maybe one of you has heard of something similar.

Spill it.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard the midnight on Tuesday fare change - and it's true, but generally the flights aren't that much cheaper. My suggestion would be to fly on a Tuesday or Wednesday - those are generally the cheapest days to fly.

You can also open an airline specific credit card (US Air for example) - most will give you a free round trip flight when you open the card (well what they really give you are 25,000 bonus miles which usually equates to one free ticket, but you have to be careful of blackout dates - which are basically every day except for tuesday and wednesday).

Airtran has Tuesdays for 99 bucks (no tax). A decent deal if you ask me. You can get cheaper if you go with priceline or hotwire but you won't be able to pick your flight times.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can often save money by booking your flight with hotel accomodations as a package (unless you don't need a hotel to begin with). for my nova interview, for example, i used hotwire to book a flight plus hotel (2 nights) for around $333. in order to book a flight+hotel package, you must stay at least 2 nights, but for this florida trip it still ended up being less expensive for me than if i had booked a flight and one night hotel stay separately. plus, by booking it as a package you get to see the exact flight times and hotel names prior to booking (you normally only get to choose the dates, not exact times, of your flight if you book it separately on hotwire).

but PLEASE do note that all bookings on hotwire are FINAL & NON-REFUNDABLE, as i found out the hard way. if you've booked a flight+hotel package, you can sometimes change the dates of the flight, depending on the airline, for a minimum $135 fee plus any additional difference in the new fare. but you will absolutely get no refund or credit of any sort for the hotel portion of your package, meaning you don't even have the option of paying a minimum fee to change the dates or location. so do travel with much forethought and caution =D

I've been using kayak.com for years and its always done me well.

What is everyone doing to save money on flights?

I just checked a student travel website that was recommended by our Student's Union Handbook and they say the cheapest flight I can get to Ft. Lauderdale is nearly $1,200.00! I know for a fact I can get a cheaper flight than this.

I've heard of booking as early as possible.

Someone else once told me that on one day of each week (say Tuesdays) after midnight a bunch of cheap flights pop up. I passed it off as a total load at the time but maybe one of you has heard of something similar.

Spill it.

Where are you flying from!?! check out orbitz or expedia. I'm flying from CA and I got round trip for ~260$

He or she must be flying from sri lanka, because nobody intelligent enough to use the internet can't figure out how to find a reasonably priced air plane ticket

for dental schools in big cities check out the smaller airports such as for Nova (fly to ft. lauderdale instead of miami)....the bay area, oakland's airport would be cheaper than san fran.

some interesting websites are:
www.farecompare.com
www.farecast.com

but for some ridic prices you need to check out the airline's website. spirit air has some crazy deals on random days ($34) and airtran airfares sometimes dip into the $70s range. cheap tickets FTW! hope that helps some people.

Southwest is reasonable if you book 2 weeks in advance which is not always the case and if they fly out of your home airport.

statravel.com is what ive been booking with since forever....