Cheap/free way to complete the requirements to maintain board certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1100659

As the title says, any cheap ideally free way of doing those random requirements? I did the free APA self assessment for half required credits, but still have to do PIP and the other one, whatever theyre called, lol

Members don't see this ad.

The self assessment CME is specifically designed to not be able to be completed for free. Non-SA is free on every street corner. For PIP...do the feedback forms. I'm not sure you can even pay for that one?

Members don't see this ad :)
The self assessment CME is specifically designed to not be able to be completed for free. Non-SA is free on every street corner. For PIP...do the feedback forms. I'm not sure you can even pay for that one?

No, they release an annual self assessment one for free, that came out not too long ago. It definitely counts, as it is literally a self assessment test, lol. But it counts for half the required credits if I remember correctly. Still not bad since its free.

you can pay for each of them, its just expensive. Maybe not for some of these rich attending psychiatrists on here ; ).

Sorry, half is designed specifically not to be free. :) And no, none of us support this. But the APA got in on the grift and so there's no one effectively opposing it.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the street. Put on some high heels, speedos and dance. You're going to get some money thrown at you. Take that money and spend it on CMEs.

So now you didn't have to spend any money from your work. All you had to do was do something you would've done anyways. We all know you do that on your own.

Seriously there are ways to get free CMEs and such but you'll waste more time finding them then they are worth. Looking for a free CME that took you 1 hour to find? You're spending less money just paying for them if you count the money you would've earned during that hour at work.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Go to the street. Put on some high heels, speedos and dance. You're going to get some money thrown at you. Take that money and spend it on CMEs.

So now you didn't have to spend any money from your work. All you had to do was do something you would've done anyways. We all know you do that on your own.

Seriously there are ways to get free CMEs and such but you'll waste more time finding them then they are worth. Looking for a free CME that took you 1 hour to find? You're spending less money just paying for them if you count the money you would've earned during that hour at work.
well im about to start a new attending job and CME money is accured per period, they give a generous allowance, but you get a little bit per pay period. So when i start, ill start at zero CME funds. I was just going to knock out some of this stuff now because I hate procrastinating these things if I was able to

Also after divorce got rid of roughly 50k or so, I wont yell at anyone who throws money at me, especially being a younger attending. Trying to get out of this debt asap whether through PLSF or paying it off so I can choose my own hours/path.

OK new plan. Medscape has CMEs. They're free. Problem is that you'll likely not get all 30 from this website unless you start doing CMEs outside your field.

There's websites for free CMEs just use a search engine.

Use Medscape or some other free source for now. Accrue the time. Then after you've earned some educational reimbursement funds then do the other stuff you'll likely have to pay for such as the testing stuff to keep your certification.

Maybe doximity offers some free cme? Although I personally love getting CME just from browsing uptodate. Yes, it costs money since I'm in PP. But saves a lot of time. If you work for a place that gives you a subscription, there's unlimited free CME right there. I used to do it through the VA.

oh I was mainly talking about those two random requirements, the PIP or whatever, and the other one. Patient safety or something?

i have a ton of uptodate cme as well, for my current state that easily sufficed for requirement, but new state caps it.

I might be saying this wrong cause each time I read over it I forget it about 3 minutes later.
You got the 30 CMEs per year or 90 per 3 years.
You got to do 24 of activities where you're tested every 3 years. As far as I know that stuff you got to pay and there's no way out of it.
Then there's the thing where you have a colleague or patient review your notes. That's free but you got to keep a record of it.

What they're called, SA-CME, PIP, I always get confused.

browsing Uptodate = free CME

Reactions: 1 user