bkflaneur

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm about to start 3rd year and looking for a cheap pda. I don't really know anything about PDAs. If I use it a lot, I'll probably buy a smartphone eventually. But for now, I just want cheap and functional.

Are there minimum specs I should look for to run epocrates and the other big medical programs? The Palm z22 is cheap on ebay. But maybe that doesn't have enough memory?

Any thoughts on how important it is to have a PDA? I'm tempted to just buy a pocket Pharmacoepia and use the hospital computers.

Thanks!

DrJosephKim

Advisor
10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2008
USA
www.drjosephkim.com
You might be better served by purchasing a used PDA from other students at your school. Make sure it's running at least version 5 of the Palm OS if you buy a Palm. The z22 is cheap, but it doesn't have an expansion slot for a memory card, so you'll run out of space very quickly. It doesn't even have enough memory for the full deluxe version of epocrates that includes various other references.

If you purchase a Windows Mobile device, I suggest getting one that is running version 5 or 6. The older 2003 versions may lose support pretty soon.

Make sure your PDA has an expansion slot for a memory card. Few devices come with enough internal memory for all the different utilities you'll want to install.

Finally, I recommend getting one that has wi-fi. Most hospitals have wi-fi networks now, so you may find it handy to browse and access certain features while doing your clinical rotations.

Here's a handy article for reference:

http://www.modernmedicine.com/moder...Article/detail/494110?contextCategoryId=41915

If you're really tight on cash, then get a cheap one for now. If you end up needing something better, sell it and get a better one. It's better to have something so that you can learn more efficiently while you're on the wards.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.