Cheapest DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moy505

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Im trying to compile a list of the cheapest DO schools and this is what I've got so far. Anything Im missing?

ACOM - 44k
DMU - 45k
KCU - 43k
LECOM - 30K
LMU - 43K
TCOM - great price but doesn't accept many OOS

Are these the "best" schools that cost less than 50k?

Members don't see this ad.

TCOM. It's hard to beat the dirt-cheap tuition plus the little automatic state scholarship for the asking, and zero deposit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM is the cheapest DO school, most other schools are not.

LECOM hands down cheapest school.

LECOM is by far the cheapest. Many schools like Ohio, TCOM , WVCOM and others have reasonable/low tuition for in state, but gouge you if OOS. Or make you sign a 5-year commitment to practice (Ohio).

I am at ACOM and while the tuition is on the low end of things, it's even better that housing in AL is relatively cheap. Consider cost of living into your calculations, it is a big deal.

So how much would full COA be if I live in a pretty cheap apartment n get my mom to ship frozen meals to me? Could I get away with just adding 10k to tuition? So does 40k full COA at LECOM or 54k full COA at DMU sound reasonable?

The full cost of attendance at LECOM is about $58K for the first and second years-- this includes allowances for health insurance, housing, etc. The estimate is $9000 for housing, $4000 for food, and about $1800 for transportation.

You're obviously not obligated to take or end up using the full amount, but remember the loan money doesn't specifically cover other expenses you might have too (if you have a car payment, car insurance, require a moving truck, etc).

The full cost of attendance at LECOM is about $58K for the first and second years-- this includes allowances for health insurance, housing, etc. The estimate is $9000 for housing, $4000 for food, and about $1800 for transportation.

You're obviously not obligated to take or end up using the full amount, but remember the loan money doesn't specifically cover other expenses you might have too (if you have a car payment, car insurance, require a moving truck, etc).

Agreed. That said, I know multiple people that can get by on <$50k/yr. Housing for example can absolutely be had for much less than $9k/yr, and if you're covered for insurance, that's $3k you don't have to worry about. This is all assuming you don't have additional expenses like those associated with a family. Many people do.

So how much would full COA be if I live in a pretty cheap apartment n get my mom to ship frozen meals to me? Could I get away with just adding 10k to tuition? So does 40k full COA at LECOM or 54k full COA at DMU sound reasonable?

The average person will struggle to live on less than $12-$15k/yr in addition to tuition/fees.

There are only 2 LECOMs. Right?

wow this is an expensive endeavor!

You apply to 2, but that's because the Erie and Seton Hill campuses are under 1 application. Its absolutely expensive, no matter where you go. It's just a matter of degree. I wouldn't make cost the primary reason on choosing what school to go to though.

Agreed. That said, I know multiple people that can get by on <$50k/yr. Housing for example can absolutely be had for much less than $9k/yr, and if you're covered for insurance, that's $3k you don't have to worry about. This is all assuming you don't have additional expenses like those associated with a family. Many people do.

Oh, absolutely! I just wanted to point out that the cost of attendance doesn't cover ALL costs of living a lot of people have-- it sounds like OP doesn't have kids so that's not a concern, but a lot of people do have bills like their own cell phone, car insurance, car payments, etc. Things like the $700 I just gave to DIT aren't in the budget, either.

It is a perk that the cost of living is low in both Erie and Greensburg (I'm not sure if that's true in Bradenton) compared to most major cities. We have a 3-bedroom for under $900-- we'd probably pay close to double that where we lived previously.

Wow, that is less than one year's tuition at AZCOM.

You apply to 2, but that's because the Erie and Seton Hill campuses are under 1 application. Its absolutely expensive, no matter where you go. It's just a matter of degree. I wouldn't make cost the primary reason on choosing what school to go to though.

Why not? I know rotations sites differ n stuff but that really make a big diff? I want to be a psychiatrist. Does it make sense to go to Midwestern which charges like 65k a year when I could pay less than half at LECOM?

Hey guys Im trying to compile a list of the cheapest DO schools and this is what I've got so far. Anything Im missing?

ACOM - 44k
DMU - 45k
KCU - 43k
LECOM - 30K
LMU - 46.5K
TCOM - great price but doesn't accept many OOS

Are these the "best" schools that cost less than 50k?
fixed LMU. I would bet numbers are low for everything but ACOM

Oh, absolutely! I just wanted to point out that the cost of attendance doesn't cover ALL costs of living a lot of people have-- it sounds like OP doesn't have kids so that's not a concern, but a lot of people do have bills like their own cell phone, car insurance, car payments, etc. Things like the $700 I just gave to DIT aren't in the budget, either.

It is a perk that the cost of living is low in both Erie and Greensburg (I'm not sure if that's true in Bradenton) compared to most major cities. We have a 3-bedroom for under $900-- we'd probably pay close to double that where we lived previously.

I'd probably be paying double that for a 1-bedroom apartment in the city I live in.