SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Check out my list...

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by xjustbreathex, Jun 5, 2008.

1. xjustbreathex

xjustbreathex 5+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Fairly new poster here and I would appreciate any advice.

Science GPA: 3.62
    Overall GPA: 3.62
    Practice MCAT Scores: 31-35 (took on May 23rd)
    Florida Resident

-Volunteering in hospitals since 7th grade (several awards for number of hours) (about 1000 hours total)
    -EMT-B certified (120 hours in Hospitals and Fire Stations as EMT)
    -Shadowed a few doctors - probably 16 hours total
    -Participated in Medical Mission to Guatemala - 5 Days - alot of exposure to medicine - scrubbed in on two surgeries!
    Work - paid positions
    -Swim Instructor and Director of Swim Program - taught kids how to swim and managed the business end and 20 employees (freshman year to present)
    -Lovaas Behavioral Therapist - gave ABA (applied behavioral analysis) to autistic 4 year old for course of 8 months. Took data, submitted to Lovaas for research purposes and had alot of fun!
    - Assistant Water Polo Coach for a High school - 1 season
    - few clubs on campus
    - semi-pro poker player
    - Eucharistic Minister

My GPA is low due to my mother's severe illness but shows an upward trend. Here is the list of schools I am thinking about applying to right now I want to cast a pretty wide net due to my lower stats. Money isnt a huge issue, but its always nice to spend less. Any comments about which I should take off or what my chances are at these schools would be great.

Albany Medical College
    Boston University School of Medicine
    Drexel University
    Eastern Virginia Medical School
    Florida State University
    George Washington
    Loyola Chicago
    Oregon Health and Science University
    Penn State
    Rosalind Franklind University
    Temple University
    University of Alabama
    University of Colorado
    University of Florida
    University of Central Florida
    University of Illinois at Chicago
    University of Maryland
    University of Miami
    University of Pittsburg
    University of South Florida
    University of Virginia
    Virginia Commonwealth University
    Albert Einstein – Yesiva

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    add FIU and take off oregon and rush...I hear oregon shows sig. regional bias.
  4. xjustbreathex

Dec 19, 2007
    anybody else want to help me out? Pretty please?
  5. carlyMD

carlyMD 2+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2008
    One thing I would say is to not mention that you scrubbed in on two surgeries. If it is something that you would not do here, you should not be doing it in a developing country. This is very controversial and depending on the adcom it could be looked upon very poorly and considered quite unethical.

Also, you might want to consider mt sinai
  6. TexasTriathlete

TexasTriathlete HTFU 5+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2007
    The ATL
    You are listing a lot of state schools that won't give your application a second look, simply because they have such a huge bias towards in-state applicants.
  7. xjustbreathex

Dec 19, 2007
    Thanks for all your replies. I will definitely look into taking off some of the state schools.

CarlyMD: Thanks for your advice. When I scrubbed in on the surgeries, all I did was suction and balance a retractor with my hand because their retractor was broken. I definitely didn't do anything that would be considered unethical, the surgeon truly just needed someone who could speak both spanish and english to be close enough to the patient to translate to the staff and that meant I had to be sterile.
  8. SketchLazy

SketchLazy 5+ Year Member

May 16, 2007
    I agree with CarlyMD that you probably shouldn't bring this up. The simplicity of the procedure doesn't really matter. If you participated at all, it could be seen as unethical depending on the interviewer. Here, in the OR, you're lucky if you even get to watch a surgery without any licenses or certifications. Hospitals in the US don't require licensure for surgery techs just to give them some job security. It's important that the people in there know exactly what to do and how to respond in case something serious happens. Even if other countries don't have the same requirements, that doesn't really mean that it's ok for you to do it there. In my opinion it would look worse, because it looks like you circumvented the system here so you could fulfill your own curiosities at the expense of someone else's safety. I'm not saying that that is what you did, but it can easily be construed in that way. I'd be very careful when talking about it.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  9. sacrament

sacrament somewhere east 15+ Year Member

I went to school there several years back, and 40% of the class was out-of-state. I don't think that has changed much. I say keep it on.