Check this out y'all! Kind of cool!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
<a href="http://www.asdanet.org/article_2b_2002.htm" target="_blank">http://www.asdanet.org/article_2b_2002.htm</a>

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I'd be all that excited if I were in NY or planned to practice there...I think I'd prefer to take the exam and have the CHOICE of weather or not to do a residency. But it's without a doubt that the extra training will produce better clinicians. But a mandatory five years? ugh. Just my thoughts. :)

I think it's cool in several fold:

1) First - extra training =&gt; better dentist

2) Second - if you're from out of state and want to practice in NY, then you don't have to worry about taking their licensure exam, NERB, if you've had the one year post-graduate training

3) Third - this reform may mark a precedent for future licensure in other states

I strongly feel that this NY licensure reform will place an impact on all of us since a lot of us will graduate in years 2006 or 2007, by that time, many other states may follow suit!

Some to think about:

If this reform requires an additional year of training, then does that mean more loans? Cause obviously a licensure exam is cheaper than a whole year additional training!!! I don't know, the article didn't say anything about the cost or if there is a cost or not?

:cool:

I support this bill wholeheartedly, and furthermore I think that every state should have a required residency training for graduating Dentists. It is important to have well educated and well trained Dentists out serving the public. Using human subjects as test subjects has always seemed a little barbaric to me. A traditional TEST only gauges the level of the person without necessarily requiring them to improve. A residency would allow Dentists to hone their training and provide a smooth transition to solo practice.

Like Martha says, "this is a GOOD THING"