1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Check this out y'all! Kind of cool!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Yah-E, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    <a href="http://www.asdanet.org/article_2b_2002.htm" target="_blank">http://www.asdanet.org/article_2b_2002.htm</a>

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I don't think I'd be all that excited if I were in NY or planned to practice there...I think I'd prefer to take the exam and have the CHOICE of weather or not to do a residency. But it's without a doubt that the extra training will produce better clinicians. But a mandatory five years? ugh. Just my thoughts. :)

4. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I think it's cool in several fold:

1) First - extra training =&gt; better dentist

2) Second - if you're from out of state and want to practice in NY, then you don't have to worry about taking their licensure exam, NERB, if you've had the one year post-graduate training

3) Third - this reform may mark a precedent for future licensure in other states

I strongly feel that this NY licensure reform will place an impact on all of us since a lot of us will graduate in years 2006 or 2007, by that time, many other states may follow suit!

Some to think about:

If this reform requires an additional year of training, then does that mean more loans? Cause obviously a licensure exam is cheaper than a whole year additional training!!! I don't know, the article didn't say anything about the cost or if there is a cost or not?

:cool:

5. quantumhead

quantumhead Verrucas Vulgaris
    7+ Year Member

I support this bill wholeheartedly, and furthermore I think that every state should have a required residency training for graduating Dentists. It is important to have well educated and well trained Dentists out serving the public. Using human subjects as test subjects has always seemed a little barbaric to me. A traditional TEST only gauges the level of the person without necessarily requiring them to improve. A residency would allow Dentists to hone their training and provide a smooth transition to solo practice.

Like Martha says, "this is a GOOD THING"