Check this out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvdoctor

stud muffin
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

2-Part Question Here!

1)

I started college when I was sixteen, and I am slated to graduate in Spring 2011 (a year earlier than I would taking the traditional route). I am a bio major, and I am taking o-chem next year and physics my senior year. I plan on taking the MCAT the summer after I graduate, and then doing some volunteering abroad (e.g. peace corps, americorps). I don't mind that I am taking a gap year- in fact, I think it will only help when I apply for medical school. My question is this: Should I take the MCAT in spring 2011 and apply by June, or should I take the MCAT in August 2011 (giving me more time to study) and reapply spring 2012? Option #1 means I can matriculate Fall 2012; Option #2 means Fall 2013. What would you do? anyone who has done americorps or PC after graduating and then going to med school, I would appreciate your response.

Ok, Part 2!

I have been considering army ROTC. an advice from pre meds who went through army ROTC (or enlisted in the air/army national guard?). I am really considering the military because I have some stupendous student loans that I need to pay off. Has anyone gone the ROTC or national guard route while still an undergraduate? Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your replies,

the luvDoctor :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

why are you on this forum

Probably because s/he feels s/he is a "non-traditional" student... but...OP, I'd suggest posting this on the pre-allo board instead. I don't really know that I'd call your circumstances "non-traditional." Most non-trads are coming from another career, already have a BA/BS and are now doing a post-bacc, etc. You sound more like an overzealous pre-med :D ...they're actually quite common!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you should probably be asking in pre-allo.

But IMO you are young enough that you can do either, do what appeals to you the most. Taking a year to roam between college and medical school might not be bad

Probably because s/he feels s/he is a "non-traditional" student... but...OP, I'd suggest posting this on the pre-allo board instead. I don't really know that I'd call your circumstances "non-traditional." Most non-trads are coming from another career, already have a BA/BS and are now doing a post-bacc, etc. You sound more like an overzealous pre-med :D ...they're actually quite common!

Thats exactly why I posted on this forum. I feel that my circumstance of applying after I graduate with a gap year would make me non-traditional. And yes, I will be graduating when I barely turn twenty. I think overzealous pre med describes me perfectly.:D

1) a gap year is different than americorp/peace corp

2) americorp is for service IN the US

3) peacecorp committment is for more than a year, and it can take 3-9 months to be placed

4) check with schools you are interested in to determine how recent the MCAT needs to be

5) realize if you are abroad (especially in programs like peace corp) it can be hard to complete applications and participate in interviews.

I am not discouraging involvement in americorp or peace corp, as both are excellent and interesting programs, but if you are over-zealous, do some research to see if either program is viable in a gap year plan.