Chem 1: D+ (Prereq)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-dentalguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm registered this summer for Chem 2 and Physics 2. Looks like I'm going to get a D in Chem 1. Now I'm having to take Chem 1 over this summer as well. I'm confident this time I will have an "A".

Have you ever heard of anyone coming back from a "D" in a prereq course?

Marion

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, why not? For you personally, though, examine why you are going to get that D. Didn't work hard, skipped all your classes, didn't show up for a test, or just plain don't understand the material? If you were just slacking, let this be a lesson to you that it's not worth it; now your summer is going to blow even harder because of that grade. Good luck, keep your chin up, and get an A.

Sure, why not? For you personally, though, examine why you are going to get that D. Didn't work hard, skipped all your classes, didn't show up for a test, or just plain don't understand the material? If you were just slacking, let this be a lesson to you that it's not worth it; now your summer is going to blow even harder because of that grade. Good luck, keep your chin up, and get an A.

I completely understand the material. I'm scoring 17s on Topscore in the chemistry portion and I haven't even taking Chem 2 yet. To be honest, I just totally bombed the first test. Shyt really sucks I know!!! But hey, that's a lessoned learned for sure.

I've just never heard of anyone scoring a "D" in the prereq course, without having to take it over, and getting an interview.

Marion

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man, im stuck in the same position as you about taking CHem 1 over. I gotta take CHem 1 and 2 over the summer have to get an "A" for sure or esle its pointless to retake.

You can do it, nothings hard unless you make yourself believe it is.:thumbup:

No doubt. Thanks for the support!

Marion

hey guys. I am taking chem1 and chem2 this summer for the first time. any suggestions at all? ....oh um...this question was directed at anybody who made an A or B in the classes. (no offense, you understand)

I completely understand the material. I'm scoring 17s on Topscore in the chemistry portion and I haven't even taking Chem 2 yet. To be honest, I just totally bombed the first test. Shyt really sucks I know!!! But hey, that's a lessoned learned for sure.

I've just never heard of anyone scoring a "D" in the prereq course, without having to take it over, and getting an interview.

Marion

Wait, you bombed just the first exam (but it sounds like you did better on the subsequent exams), and your professor is still going to give you a D? Is there no way to talk to him/her and discuss how much you've improved or something?

hey guys. I am taking chem1 and chem2 this summer for the first time. any suggestions at all? ....oh um...this question was directed at anybody who made an A or B in the classes. (no offense, you understand)

Study.
Get a tutor, and kiss your TA's ass.
For some reason my students that kiss my ass get better grades. They do better work. Buy the ACS gen chem exam book, its a good review of gen chem. I would also do this for O-Chem

I'm registered this summer for Chem 2 and Physics 2. Looks like I'm going to get a D in Chem 1. Now I'm having to take Chem 1 over this summer as well. I'm confident this time I will have an "A".

Marion

I got D's in Bio1 and Orgo2....aced them both the 2nd time around.. i got the highest grade in orgo2 out of a class of 250.

it CAN be done :thumbup:

jb!:)

Read the textbook. My professor was a nice guy but a useless lecturer. I did not have a notebook and never took notes; just read the book and did a good amount of practice problems from the text.

Wait, you bombed just the first exam (but it sounds like you did better on the subsequent exams), and your professor is still going to give you a D? Is there no way to talk to him/her and discuss how much you've improved or something?

I tried to talk to him, but he doesn't believe in waiving/curving at all. He's got the worst remarks on ratemyprofessor.com than every professor in the school. I'm going to just suck it up and retake it.

Marion

I got D's in Bio1 and Orgo2....aced them both the 2nd time around.. i got the highest grade in orgo2 out of a class of 250.

it CAN be done :thumbup:

Do you still have a shot at getting into D school?

Marion

I tried to talk to him, but he doesn't believe in waiving/curving at all. He's got the worst remarks on ratemyprofessor.com than every professor in the school. I'm going to just suck it up and retake it.

Marion

I'm so sorry, that just sucks. It's not like you're asking him for an A or something. Good luck this next time, you'll do great!

I'm so sorry, that just sucks. It's not like you're asking him for an A or something. Good luck this next time, you'll do great!

Yeah, the subsequent exam was relatively high. I got it the next time though. Thanks!

Marion

Do you still have a shot at getting into D school?

Marion

Yeah...i got 3 interviews and was subsequently waitlisted (with one of the schools telling me that i have a great chance of getting off the waitlist)...but i dont think the main reason was due to the D's. i didnt have much dental experience when i applied.

don't give up and use that poor grade as motivation to get that A the second time around. schools understand that you make mistakes. turn it into a learning experience and show em what ur made of. i think a D and a retake A looks better than getting all B's and C's.

good luck dude! :luck:

Marion

No offence man, but none of the dental prereq courses are rocket science and if you can't hack Chem 1 something is seriously wrong. I didn't even know a "D+" existed.

Spend less time posting on SDN and more time actually studying.

you can get an A anytime

Marion

you can get an A anytime

No kidding. I love how so many people blame everyone but themselves. Oh yeah, I'm sure it was the prof's fault, nobody in the class got good grades, and if it was any other prof you would have done awesome :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

as long as you learn the material then its all good.. i got Cs in both organic chemsitry class and did good on the DAT so i dont even worry about that retaking the class.

I think it's about how much you learnt from your first mistake as oppose to just the grade. I'm sure if you knock it out they'll see you learnt from your lesson.

Thanks for those of you that supported me. I just finished that mini-mester of a retake of Chem and got that "A" I needed.

Marion