Chem 2 Final

Started by sully677
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sully677

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my gen chem 2 final is cumulative...How would you suggest studying for two semesters of information?
 
??
The same way you study for a normal test?

Work hard and take a lot of notes. There are no special super secret techniques for cumulative tests.
 
I just read over my lecture notes and did problems straight from the text. Studying took me about 3 days.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
umm, generally if a final is cumulative, that means for THAT particular course, like if a calc 2 test is cumulative they're not gonna go back to calc, pre calc and algebra. It's a pretty simple concept.
 
umm, generally if a final is cumulative, that means for THAT particular course, like if a calc 2 test is cumulative they're not gonna go back to calc, pre calc and algebra. It's a pretty simple concept.
No, some schools do require a final that covers both Gen Chem I and II. Something about the American Chemical Association or something - I vaguely remember, but I took Chem I at such a school and recall them saying that the final for Gen Chem II covered the entire year.
 
It is probably the ACS final, or something similar. In that situation it is cumulative over all of general chemistry. Best way to study? Focus on your weak points. If it IS the ACS one, get the guide for it and just work through the problems. You generally know what you are worse at. If you go through something and think "I have no idea how to do that" get your textbook and brush up with a few problems. It is more important to know the concept and logic than the straight routine of doing the question.
 
Make sure you can solve the toughest examples and questions from each chapter/section (eg stoichiometry, thermodynamics, ideal gases, nuclear chem, etc). Looking at past exams (if your prof gives those out) helps, but they often change from year to year; never assume your test will be the same or even similar to last year's.
 
If the final is the ACS final, most professors tend to pick and choose how they will weigh the questions (ie. Chem II relevant questions will be 3 points, while Chem I will be 1). I'm sure no professor expects their students to do well on the ACS, seeing how it covers a lot of material.

But cover all your bases.
 
If the final is the ACS final, most professors tend to pick and choose how they will weigh the questions (ie. Chem II relevant questions will be 3 points, while Chem I will be 1). I'm sure no professor expects their students to do well on the ACS, seeing how it covers a lot of material.

But cover all your bases.

My chem professor SUPPOSEDLY just curves the **** out of it. There WILL be questions you've NEVER covered. Some classes do nuclear chemistry, others focus on electro stuff..just depends. Practice problems and UNDERSTANDING are the key ways. If you understand why stuff happens, it is much easier to reason an answer than just blindly plugging numbers in.
 
I took the ACS organic final last semester and I mainly studied old notes. There was a generous curve. I scored about 80% and didn't have to study much. Mainly, I studied the old notes and exams for a few hours. It also depends on how it's going to be graded 😎
 
yea the acs for ochem wasn't too bad. I got the guide and studied the night before and scored in the 90th percentile, should have studied harder.
 
Go through the old exams & write down what topics you had trouble with. Then go back through them & work similar problems. Make a sheet of all topics & write what you can about them without looking at notes. After studying your weak areas, go through all other notes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad