Chem AP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CubbieDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow pre dents,

I took AP Chem in high school and I received a high enough score to not have to take it in college. I received credit for both GChem I and GChem II. I have NOT taken them at a four year university. I have taken everything else there. Do I need to take them at a four year university? I hope Dental schools don't require that because I'm gonna be a senior and I've already finished applying for this cycle...

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools will accept them as long as they appear on your undergrad transcript and you got credit for college chem. That being said, I don't think adcoms look very highly on AP credit; it's on the same level as community college work. You can have it, but it should be minimal and the rest of your application should be pretty strong. Most school websites will clearly state their policy under admissions FAQ sections. See http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=481171 for a few other opinions on this.

I would still take Gchem at a 4 year university. It will help you sharpen your knowledge in chemistry and will help you later on when you take the DAT. And also, since you have taken AP chem and scored well on the AP tests, taking it in college will be easy for you to ACE ---> science GPA will increase.

You can take it over summer sessions and let the schools know that you are taking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already took the DAT and got a 23 on the Gen Chem section. I'm going to be a senior now and I've finished applying. I don't want to be a senior in a gen chem I and II course unless I have to

That being said, I don't think adcoms look very highly on AP credit; it's on the same level as community college work.

It probably ranks lower than CC coursework. I was told by one adcomm that retaking the prereqs even if you received AP credit is "strongly recommended".