Chem/MAth Rapage!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blkpharmer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IDK about you guys, but the chem and math sections totally raped by balls off 😱. Those two sections alone, probably destroyed my composite score. I thought I studied enough and was going to do well, but it looks like I'll take it again in OCT. What tips/advice to you have for taking those two sections?
 
I feel you on the chem and math...I studied for both of these sections in depth, but I felt like there was way more o-chem for second semester than I anticipated. I definitely had to guess on a few. The math wasn't hard, but there wasn't enough time by any means, and I've taken several calc classes and received all A's and B's. 😡😡😡😡😡

I think I'm going to prepare for October by working on timing and do as many possible practice problems as possible. I'm not only going to work on practice tests but bust out the old text books and just practice until my brain hurts🙄

For chemistry, I didn't go through the material and try to memorize all the concepts but rather understand them. I focused so much on thermodynamics, gas laws, periodic table trends, nuclear chem, and many more, but it just didn't seem like it was enough.

Well, at least today is over, and the only thing to do is prepare for October!

Anyone else have any ideas on how to prepare??😕:idea:😕:idea:
 
just buy dr collins. and i wouldnt suggest the problems in your textbook because the numbers will not workout as nicely as the pcat ones..

just practice dr collins and the pearson practice exams over and over.. till you can finish with 10 or so minutes remaining..

even then you have to factor in stress which is huge.. that is why you have to keep doing them so that's its muscle memory (not the right term but you get the point)

the benefit to this is you will see at least 75% of the questions (with different numbers) and since you've done it in practice you'll know which is time consuming and which is not..

for example.. anything with like means or averages.. waste of your time unless its like 5+6+7 or sumthing.. but alot of cases its like 9 or so terms of double digits.. skip..

there are also some you'll know look complicated but because the numbers work out really nicely you can do them quickly.. hope that helps with chem and math

for reading you should easily be able to finish in 20 minutes with collins cuz theres so many duplicates..

for RC use your finger to guide the text as you read.. itll help you concentrate more..

i also just did the test today but i left feeling better than last time in which i broke down and got 22% in chem (not a very good guesser).. XD
 
just buy dr collins. and i wouldnt suggest the problems in your textbook because the numbers will not workout as nicely as the pcat ones..

just practice dr collins and the pearson practice exams over and over.. till you can finish with 10 or so minutes remaining..

even then you have to factor in stress which is huge.. that is why you have to keep doing them so that's its muscle memory (not the right term but you get the point)

the benefit to this is you will see at least 75% of the questions (with different numbers) and since you've done it in practice you'll know which is time consuming and which is not..

for example.. anything with like means or averages.. waste of your time unless its like 5+6+7 or sumthing.. but alot of cases its like 9 or so terms of double digits.. skip..

there are also some you'll know look complicated but because the numbers work out really nicely you can do them quickly.. hope that helps with chem and math

for reading you should easily be able to finish in 20 minutes with collins cuz theres so many duplicates..

for RC use your finger to guide the text as you read.. itll help you concentrate more..

i also just did the test today but i left feeling better than last time in which i broke down and got 22% in chem (not a very good guesser).. XD

wait so you think Dr. Collins should definitely prepare for math,chem, and how about bio? and since you used Dr. Collins for this test did you think you saw a lot of similar problems? Especially that stupid probability and statistics totally killed me and of course CALC!!! 🙁🙁🙁🙁

I was sooooo mad at myself yesterday too like everyone else it was truly a nightmare!!! 😡😡😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My opinion from what has helped me and from what some other high scorers have done:

buy dr. collins. Anything you don't understand or anything you get wrong, review in detail on your own through study guides or textbooks. Timing is important also, make sure you are able to comfortably finish the practice tests online and in dr. collins within the allotted time. good luck!
 
I am probably the first, but IMO Dr.Collins was only useful for Verbal and thats it.

For CHEM it was HORRIBLE... SAME with MATH.

I felt it was a waste of a large sum of money, but w.e. I'm probably going to study my lecture notes for those two sections next time and use kaplan again for bio.


wait so you think Dr. Collins should definitely prepare for math,chem, and how about bio? and since you used Dr. Collins for this test did you think you saw a lot of similar problems? Especially that stupid probability and statistics totally killed me and of course CALC!!! 🙁🙁🙁🙁

I was sooooo mad at myself yesterday too like everyone else it was truly a nightmare!!! 😡😡😡
 
I used Barron and it was too easier compared to Pearson. Maybe it gave me a false sense of confident. I did tried the Kaplan but gave up b/c it have so much errors on the math part and not pragmatic or so I thought when I think of the past PCAT exams.

The organic chemistry was a little tad much, not that I couldn't handle it if I have the time. Now I know what to expect from Pearson then I guess I can ace it the next time I retake this, which probably won't be in October since that when they begin to computerized things. I inferred that the test prompt will be different, probably easier since so many complaints.